U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2010, 12:17 PM

11 posts, read 20,289 times

Advertisements

Hello, so we live in NY now and there is a chance we will be relocating to San Antonio because of my husband job. (his company is choosing b/t here and Virginia beach). I don't know the area and would love suggestions on where to look to move. We are looking to live in a nice family oriented area with GREAT school districts as we have 2 little ones. Any suggestions/advice would be appreciated.
Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2010, 12:37 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,825 posts, read 33,233,153 times
The forum consensus is that the 3 best school districts in Bexar County are Northside ISD, North East ISD and Alamo Heights ISD.

Not all of the schools in those districts are excellent. Alamo Heights is not within everyone's budget and not everyone's cup of tea. Here' are some questions that will help us narrow down some more specific recommendations for you.

What's your price range for a house?

What part of town will the company your husband commutes to be located in?

Would you prefer very new house on a smaller lot or a 10+ year-old house on a larger lot?

Are you used to rush hour traffic delays or would you prefer to avoid them?

Is it a dealbreaker to live in an area with good/new schools that are so crowded that there may not be room in the nearest school for each of your children?

Old 07-12-2010, 12:47 PM

well we would actually be renting for the 1st year to make sure the area works for us. An area with less traffic would be great. We would be looking to rent a 3br house for around $1000-1500 a month (if possible). We are not 100% sure of where my husband job would be in San Antonio just yet. I would like newer house, a yard would be great...doesnt have to be the biggest, but plenty of room for my kids to run and play.
regarding the schools...if we lived in a town with a good district, is it almost guarenteed that the schools will be crowded? If their wasn't room, what happens then?

Old 07-12-2010, 12:54 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,825 posts, read 33,233,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYNY123 View Post
if we lived in a town with a good district, is it almost guarenteed that the schools will be crowded? If their wasn't room, what happens then?
Enrollment capping is the result and it is done by grade. Let's say that the school you're zoned for is capped for 5th grade and you try to enroll a 5th grader after the caps are in place. That child will go to an overflow school, another school farther away that has room for more 5th graders. If you also have a 3rd grader and Grade 3 at your nearest school is not capped, that child could still go to the nearest school.

Old 07-12-2010, 01:43 PM

4,263 posts, read 9,717,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYNY123 View Post
Hello, so we live in NY now and there is a chance we will be relocating to San Antonio because of my husband job. (his company is choosing b/t here and Virginia beach). I don't know the area and would love suggestions on where to look to move. We are looking to live in a nice family oriented area with GREAT school districts as we have 2 little ones. Any suggestions/advice would be appreciated.
Thanks!!!
Let's hope that you and yours aren't forced to San Antonio. Feel free to send me a DM if you would like more information. I moved from SA recently...and spent the better part of 30 years in/around NYC.
Good luck!

Old 07-12-2010, 03:37 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,326,216 times
oh geez. Take what the above poster writes with a grain of salt. SA is a nice, affordable, family oriented place to live. It may not be as cosmopolitan as NYC or LA...but it has a lot of nice things to offer.

A fellow teacher I work with just moved here from NOVA...and she tells me frequently how much there is to do for a family of 4. Parks, Sea World, the Zoo, waterparks, traveling to the Hill Country, and going to the beach.

As for crime. It is here...and every other city in the US. I've never had anything terrible happen to me, my family, nor friends. Just don't be stupid walking in dark alleys at night.

Old 07-12-2010, 03:39 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,326,216 times
AND we are friendly. I don't care what anyone else says...San Antonians are nice, laid back people. I can EASILY make new friends wherever I go in this city.

Old 07-12-2010, 03:46 PM

thank you everyone. The neighborhoods and school districts are my primary concerns. Of the 3 school districts mentioned, are any of them not overcrowded. This way I would have the security of knowing my children are definitely going to go to good schools? Also, Are there an good private schools in the area that are not religious?

Old 07-15-2010, 09:18 PM

5 posts, read 9,903 times
NYNY, San Antonio doesn't really have great livable housing options, besides expensive downtown districts like King William and some older craftsman homes slightly north, which unfortunately don't have much square footage. A lot of San Antonians are sick and tired of the traffic congestion, pollution and safety issues in the suburbs north - its really out of hand. I moved from there to live on the south side, adjacent to Verano and the new Texas A&M campus. Its one of the best planned communities in the U.S., is planned to have light rail transit access from Austin, you can walk to the coffee shop, restaurants, bookstores, etc. It will be a few years before the schools go in, but the neighborhood kids will be able to walk to school (works for me since mine are 1 and 2 yo) It basically blows anything in San Antonio out of the water in terms of property value investment, quality of life, and safety for your kids. Also, there are numerous private schools on the southside - I do think most of them are religious. Weblinks are below if you need to know more. http://www.gatewayplanning.com/uploa...Jan%202009.pdf

www.sa2lv.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or