U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 09:41 PM

222 posts, read 422,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
They wouldn't be able to stop at Pantheon Way because apparently, that intersection is inside Hollywood Park City Limits. The street sign in the video was green. City of San Antonio street signs are blue.

There's no cord to pull on ViaTrans, because it ordinarily works as a door-to-door service for disabled patrons. Only in this case, they can't do that because the woman's destination is in a communty that has opted out of VIA service.
I suppose it would be illegal for them to have a flat or break down at that communities location as they drive by on the 281 access road and Pantheon Way.

This is ridiculous!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2010, 09:54 PM

237 posts, read 415,367 times
This lady's employer should have someone pick her up at the bus stop. Not because they have to, but because it would be the right thing to do. If I were her boss, I would find any way possible to avoid this situation and get her to the office without having to walk that far.

Old 07-14-2010, 10:01 PM

1,728 posts, read 2,534,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsdude View Post
I suppose it would be illegal for them to have a flat or break down at that communities location as they drive by on the 281 access road and Pantheon Way.

This is ridiculous!
When Windcrest citizens voted to discontinue VIA service to their community, the bus stops that were located along the I-35 access road along the edge of the Windcrest City Limits were removed, although I think the bus routes still travel that stretch. They just can't stop along that stretch to drop off or pick up passengers.

One thing I'm not sure the residents of these communities that opt out of VIA think about is that if they should become disabled, either temporarily or permanently, they will not be eligible to be transported anywhere by ViaTrans, as long as they reside in that community, even if they would be going to a destination inside VIA's service area.

Old 07-14-2010, 10:17 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,987,258 times
State Sentaor Carlos Uresti's office is taking donations to purchase a used vehicle for her: 210-932-2568

Old 07-15-2010, 01:50 AM

565 posts, read 787,654 times
Too bad someone from her work can't come pick her up where the bus stops. If I worked at the same company I'd go pick her up.

That Hollywood Park mayor is stupid saying that VIA could come drop her off at her work place. He knows d*mn well that VIA can't do it. Plus you can't just drive in HP either without a sticker unless you want a ticket. I bet he doesn't want HP to look bad. He probably doesn't even care that this lady has to walk a mile in this hot heat to get to work.

Old 07-15-2010, 06:52 AM

8,359 posts, read 13,315,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
If you're saying that Hollywood Park should get this service without paying for it, I suspect that taxpayers in the cities that do pay for VIA might have a problem with that. I would be one of those taxpayers.

If HP can subsidize VIA service on an a la carte basis, paying per user, rather than kicking in a lump sum for full service, that might be a good compromise. VIA may not want that, though.
Exactly, this is a very slippery slope in that if VIA makes one exception to the rule, then everyone will want to be an exception.

The bottom line is that VIA is not responsible for individuals outside of their routes. Hollywood Park--either its citizens or its government--opted out of VIA's services and now KSAT12 is making it appear they do not want to assist disabled patrons. That is simply not the case, and whereas it is nice to see so many people coming to her aid, it should not be expected that VIA breaks the regulations under which it operates to make an exception for this one person. There are other options out there, and they need to be pursued, but trying to bully VIA into solving her problem just isn't right!

Old 07-15-2010, 07:08 AM

10,453 posts, read 10,199,433 times
Growing up in a 3rd World country...
it's really hard for me to feel bad for her,
walking a mile is nothing compared to people I've seen walking up a mountain with 20 bags of groceries and several kids.

Old 07-15-2010, 07:41 AM

4,019 posts, read 4,530,467 times
Thing is, thank your friends and neighbors for much of this. Because as a society, we've accepted that anything bad that happens has to be "someone's" fault - and as a result, lawsuits fly. Let's say I'm a coworker, and give this lady a ride. On the way to work, we're involved in an accident - she can sue me. Her employer arranges for a "car pool" of folks that'll pick her up - there's an accident, she can sue the driver and the employer. The list goes on...

THAT is one of the big reasons folks tend to shy away from trying to be "helpful" - that, and the mistaken impression that "the government should do something" because none of us should be inconvenienced by life, or our own poor choices. Why is it anyone else's responsibility but hers to get to work each day? Because she's handicapped? Did it just happen, or is this an ongoing thing that's been a part of her life for a long time?

I'm NOT unfeeling - although the above certainly makes me sound so. I routinely participate/contribute to various charitable events, do small things to help others in need, etc. - but I do so individually, without thought as to who "should" be doing it. Those of you saying that VIA should someone find a "work-around" - why not go over there and do it yourself? Pick up and deliver her each day to her work - do something yourself rather than insist "someone" do something. Personally, while I applaud the idea of buying her a vehicle, I've got to wonder if she's going to be able to afford the insurance, inspection and upkeep on it - because otherwise, she'd already have something to drive.

Sometimes, in our anxiety to help someone, we inadvertently hinder them.....

Old 07-15-2010, 08:17 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,224,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Those of you saying that VIA should someone find a "work-around" - why not go over there and do it yourself? Pick up and deliver her each day to her work - do something yourself rather than insist "someone" do something.
Thing is most folks on the forum don't live in Hollywood Park or work at the same place she does so its very inconvenient, hence the idea of someone from work helping her.

Old 07-15-2010, 08:48 AM

1,316 posts, read 1,987,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Growing up in a 3rd World country...
it's really hard for me to feel bad for her,
walking a mile is nothing compared to people I've seen walking up a mountain with 20 bags of groceries and several kids.
Yes it is unfortunate that third-world countries deal with a lot more than we do. But those people live in a third-world country, we DO NOT.

If she had not be disabled, I wouldn't feel as much sympathy (I still would have some sympathy because lots of people are struggling in this recession regardless). BUT SHE'S DISABLED. It's different.

RIGHT HERE in our own country (in the richest country in the world), there's so many people in need who pay US taxes all their life and do right by the system. It would be easier for her to live off the taxpayer and sit at home collecting money (even if it's less money) rather than walking 1 mile to work; she chose differently.

Ms. Valadez was disabled by no fault of her own. God forbid, this could hapen to any of us. And this is how we take care of our own. We just say, "Sorry, there's nothing we can do."

She puts some of these unemployed people to shame.

She's a hero.

I hope her three daugthers know what a very special mother they have!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio