U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 12:50 PM

1,728 posts, read 2,534,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRose View Post
I would assume there's a difference between what is controlled by COSA and what is under Bexar County. Like, they couldn't opt out of taxes for the public hospital because that's a county mandate. Via is a COSA service. I don't know what the colleges and aquifer authority fall under, but my assumption is county.
Bexar County, as well as the Hospital District, are funded through property taxes. Cities can't opt out of these taxes. The City of San Antonio, as well as other cities and towns, are funded through property taxes and sales taxes. The City of San Antonio is also funded through CPS Energy revenue, as CPS is a municipal-owned utility.

VIA is funded through a 1/2 cent sales tax collected in San Antonio, as well as the other suburban cities that have chosen to participate in the service. The fares charged by VIA also helps fund the service. The cities that have opted out of VIA's service often have a sales tax rate that is slightly higher than San Antonio, so that tells me that extra money is going into those cities coffers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 01:07 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $84,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

14,631 posts, read 21,584,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
VIA is funded through a 1/2 cent sales tax collected in San Antonio, as well as the other suburban cities that have chosen to participate in the service. The fares charged by VIA also helps fund the service. The cities that have opted out of VIA's service often have a sales tax rate that is slightly higher than San Antonio, so that tells me that extra money is going into those cities coffers.
Interesting. Hollywood Park has a couple of dozen or so businesses along its northern and eastern borders that must generate thousands of dollars in sales tax revenue for HP, much of it likely contributed by residents of San Antonio. That probably offsets property tax revenue, so that the city of HP can keep property taxes down for residents.

If San Antonio residents don't agree with how Hollywood Park spends its sales tax money, one way to show that would be to stop buying things from businesses located in Hollywood Park.

Old 07-15-2010, 01:14 PM

875 posts, read 1,056,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsa210tx View Post
No, do you know her either?
That's why I didn't make any assumptions and imply things about her financial situation or how she became disabled.

Quote:
I know what I know from the videoclip, did you watch it or not??
I watched it twice, I saw no evidence that supported any assumptions about the details of her life. They didn't go into her financial situation, whether she's needy, receives any assistance, etc. And I think they just said her disability was caused by an accident, but didn't go into details such that anyone would know whether it was any fault of her own or not.

Quote:
FACTS: She is disabled. She walks a mile to work. VIA does not want to drop her off in Hollywood Park because they have no contract. She is working rather than not working AT ALL.

THOSE ARE ALL FACTS. .
Just pointing out that saying "it would be easier for her to live off the taxpayer", that she "chose [to do] differently" or that she's disabled "through no fault of her own" is making assumptions about her situation, motivations, and past that no one can possibly know from that clip alone.

Quote:
I base what I believe on the facts (as noted above). What you choose to believe about her is your opinion obviously. And I have mine as well..
Having opinions is fine, but stating them as if they were facts doesn't add up. So honestly, I wanted to know if you knew more about it than that clip allows for.

Last edited by Backliteyes; 07-15-2010 at 01:15 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 07-15-2010, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
If San Antonio residents don't agree with how Hollywood Park spends its sales tax money, one way to show that would be to stop buying things from businesses located in Hollywood Park.
So, you think if the rest of us in SA deprive HP of money, it'll make HP see the error of their ways and bring VIA back? I guess it's a theory, though I'd bet it's more likely they'd just cut other things as well.

Or are you suggesting the "we don't like you" message of that is enough, (assuming HP even understands the drop in revenue as the result of intentional boycotting)? Even if they get that far I doubt HP will make the connection between a drop in tax revenue from these businesses and the VIA issue.

Old 07-15-2010, 02:01 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $84,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

14,631 posts, read 21,584,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backliteyes View Post
So, you think if the rest of us in SA deprive HP of money, it'll make HP see the error of their ways and bring VIA back? I guess it's a theory, though I'd bet it's more likely they'd just cut other things as well.

Or are you suggesting the "we don't like you" message of that is enough, (assuming HP even understands the drop in revenue as the result of intentional boycotting)? Even if they get that far I doubt HP will make the connection between a drop in tax revenue from these businesses and the VIA issue.
Both to motivate people to participate in a boycott and to make the reason clear to HP why there is a boycott, there would need to be an organized campaign promoting the boycott.

I don't know that it's the best idea, but I'm just throwing the idea out there. It's an idea for those who don't live in HP and figure there's nothing they can do to register their disapproval of this.

It bothers me that folks in HP chose to get the benefits of VIA bus service on streets near their tiny city, without contributing any tax money for it.

Old 07-15-2010, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
Both to motivate people to participate in a boycott and to make the reason clear to HP why there is a boycott, there would need to be an organized campaign promoting the boycott.

I don't know that it's the best idea, but I'm just throwing the idea out there. It's an idea for those who don't live in HP and figure there's nothing they can do to register their disapproval of this.

It bothers me that folks in HP chose to get the benefits of VIA bus service on streets near their tiny city, without contributing any tax money for it.
Definitely, if it's well-publicized it has a lot better chance of being effective. For non-residents of HP something like that is call they can do. Personally I'd argue if they don't live/work in HP it's none of their business, but, that's just me.

Also, consider the collateral damage that could be done to the owners, employees and customers of those businesses if the boycott was particularly effective and whether that's worth it or not.

Old 07-15-2010, 05:13 PM

478 posts, read 612,375 times
I am not trying to be mean or insensitive but I'm curious why someone hasn't suggested a different job that is along the bus line. It would have been nice if they had mentioned what type of work she did because someone might have come up with a better job in a better location for her.
It wouldn't have made as good a story but it might have had a far better outcome.

Old 07-15-2010, 05:17 PM

4,020 posts, read 4,530,467 times
Bowie, with all due respect (don't want no banhammer, y'know)<JUST KIDDING!!> - I seriously doubt HP receives much benefit at all from the bus service. I remember when they took the vote to opt out of it that much of the discussion centered around the fact that there was little to no ridership of the bus by their residents vs. the added taxes that would be paid.
I think it's both unfair and unkind to talk about "punishing" members of a community that don't see value in something and therefore choose to neither pay for it, nor complain about not having it. But that's just me.

Old 07-15-2010, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAggiemom View Post
I am not trying to be mean or insensitive but I'm curious why someone hasn't suggested a different job that is along the bus line. It would have been nice if they had mentioned what type of work she did because someone might have come up with a better job in a better location for her.
It wouldn't have made as good a story but it might have had a far better outcome.
I feel like news outlets of all stripes go for what makes the best story, definitely over what would have the least spin/be most accurate and maybe even over what would be best for the person the story is about.

Old 07-15-2010, 06:36 PM

2,879 posts, read 2,277,652 times
When the mayor of HP had the nerve to suggest that the taxpayers of SAN ANTONIO subsidize transportation of HP's own disabled residents! Think about it, S.A. taxpayers would be paying for VIA picking up disabled HP residents where they live and transporting them wherever they work, then transporting them back to their HP residence at the end of their work day. He said
"They [VIA] should be able to take her directly to her office."
He was clearly telling the taxpayers of S.A. to take responsibility for that instead of the city of HP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Why is it the responsibility of Hollywood Park to subsidize her employment transportation in any way, shape or form? We don't have bus service out here - should SA supply it? NB? No - if we want it, we should pay for it. Period.
Thing is, the city of HP had an election in which their VOTERS decided that VIA cost more than they wanted to pay. That's their choice - and frankly, I can't blame them. Not saying that they were right, simply that it's not up to me (or any other non-HP resident) to decide how they should spend *their* money. Think about it - ultimately, that's what those wanting HP to somehow pay for this are doing.....hopefully, putting it that way gives you reason to rethink it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio