Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 08:39 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,624,035 times

Advertisements

if the screens are too much for you, lowes and home depot have window tinting that guarantees to reduce heat. pretty sure i got a credit for it on my cps bill also.

installed 90% black in the living room and computer. bill last summer during blazing heat? around 150. bill this year in blazing heat, with the acs on? 120 and the temp is a cool 73F inside.

i still have more insulating to do, especially the front door.

if you go the tint route, GET A GOOD EXACTO KNIFE. i used a fresh straight razer and ended up botching the corners pretty bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2011, 06:07 PM

1,671 posts, read 3,842,002 times
SOL X put up our screens yesterday and they look great. There is no doubt that the screens are doing their job. They had the front screens designed to look like individual panes just like the windows behind them.

I HIGHLY SUGGEST THEM.

Old 05-12-2011, 06:10 PM

1,803 posts, read 2,624,035 times
also, wal mart / target sell 'blackout' curtains that further increase the efficiency of screens/window tint. hardly any sunlight gets into my living room and it stays quite cool for the amount of electronics i have running.

Old 05-13-2011, 10:19 PM

181 posts, read 674,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellguy View Post
SOL X put up our screens yesterday and they look great. There is no doubt that the screens are doing their job. They had the front screens designed to look like individual panes just like the windows behind them.

I HIGHLY SUGGEST THEM.
I highly recommend Sol X also. They put up some solar screens for us about 2 years ago. They look great and definitely reduce the heating in our house. They matched the window panes for us as well, which I think makes the house have better curb appeal rather than a plain solar screen. One of our screens recently blew off when we had a bad storm, and the guys came out and replaced the whole screen for free even though it was a few years old. They're great guys!

Old 05-14-2011, 12:00 AM

1,671 posts, read 3,842,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyAlli View Post
I highly recommend Sol X also. They put up some solar screens for us about 2 years ago. They look great and definitely reduce the heating in our house. They matched the window panes for us as well, which I think makes the house have better curb appeal rather than a plain solar screen. One of our screens recently blew off when we had a bad storm, and the guys came out and replaced the whole screen for free even though it was a few years old. They're great guys!
Thanks for the information. Its' GREAT to read about their GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE. Hopefully our neighbors will notice and inquire about the screens. I certainly tell them they work and to call SOL X.

Old 09-19-2013, 02:53 PM

1 posts, read 1,990 times
Default Solar screens

We are getting them installed this week. I will say this though, If I had a little more money available I would just go with the Low E windows. I have them in my other home and even on the brightest and hottest days the window was cool. But that would cost me about 3 times more and I just cant afford it now. Also the looks they add is great. They match the styles with your window styles. Good luck I like you am hoping to save a little money on heating. The guy told me they actually help a little on heating in winter>

Old 09-19-2013, 03:15 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,455,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanleyrex1962 View Post
We are getting them installed this week. I will say this though, If I had a little more money available I would just go with the Low E windows. I have them in my other home and even on the brightest and hottest days the window was cool. But that would cost me about 3 times more and I just cant afford it now. Also the looks they add is great. They match the styles with your window styles. Good luck I like you am hoping to save a little money on heating. The guy told me they actually help a little on heating in winter>
When it comes time to REPLACE windows, that is the way to go IMHO. BUT, when you are in a newer home, and only need to cut the heat from the scorching sun, solar screens are a MUST have in this neck of the woods!!!

Old 10-22-2013, 11:04 AM

1 posts, read 1,868 times
Default Solar Screen Work!

Solar Screens are great. We've had solar screens on our home since 2003. We live in South Texas, where it is killer hot for about 10 months out of the year. Besides the relief that solar screens give to our home, it also allows us to save money year round. They totally gave my old 1960's home a make over. There's a company online were you can order from if your considering doing it your self. Hope this helps [url=http://www.thesolarscreenstore.com]The Solar Screen Store - La Feria, Texas[/url]

Old 10-20-2018, 12:57 PM

1 posts, read 401 times
Default Solar Screens

Had them installed on my home as well as other properties, makes a huge difference in the run time on your A/C unit. It is cost effective and easy to make/install yourself, you can purchase all needed materials at your local hardware store. Best advice I can give is to install the screen on all windows for only one bed room, keep it this way for about 2 weeks. This will give you enough time to evaluate the difference in temperature of the other rooms which don’t have them, you will be amazed at the results. Good Luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio