U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 04:22 PM

11 posts, read 36,058 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are moving from the east coast to San Antonio this fall where I'll be taking a job on UTSA's main campus. We currently own a house in the suburbs, but have been interested in urban living so we want to take this opportunity to rent an apartment or condo downtown, at least for the first year. I've done plenty of research, but can't find info about the commute I'd have.

How long can I expect it to take to drive from downtown to UTSA to arrive at 8:00 AM? 7:00 AM?

How long can I expect it to take to drive from UTSA to downtown, leaving at 4:00 PM? 5:00 PM?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2010, 07:50 PM

229 posts, read 588,652 times
I used to live very close DT while I went to school at UTSA's main campus. My classes were such that I never had to go through rush hour traffic going either way. You are looking at about a 20 minute drive going to UTSA in the morning, maybe a little longer going home in the afternoon. That is not taking into account the time to find a parking space, so you might want to add another 10-15 mins, depending on how much you want to fight for a space. Just in case you didn't know, UTSA offers free bus rides to and from each campus. I want to say the rides are about 45 mins each way. It might seem like a lot, but it is a good way to catch up on reading, relax, work, etc. The rides are with the local mass transit system, and the buses are always clean, air conditioned, and safe. Oh, and there are two stops on the way. Once at the Crossroads Park and Ride, on the SW corner of I-10 and 410, and the other at the 1604 Park and Ride at the corner of 1604 and I10. But they aren't long stops. Good luck.

Old 07-18-2010, 08:17 PM

Thanks for the information. I figured downtown to UTSA was probably going against the flow of traffic, but 20 minutes is even better than I'd hoped. I hadn't considered the time to find a parking spot. It sounds like they're harder to come by than I'm used to. The bus sounds like a really good option - thanks for mentioning it. My car's nearly 10 years old so this might be an opportunity to go from 2 cars to 1.

I'm not sure what's considered rush hour in the directions I'd be going, but if it makes a big difference, I hope to be able to adjust my travel schedule slightly to avoid it.

Old 07-18-2010, 08:50 PM

2,260 posts, read 4,951,464 times
I don't know for sure how parking is at UTSA, but at my place (another UT System university in SA), we pay for parking, and you can purchase a reserved space. That'll help with the timeline in the mornings!

I agree with the 20 minute assessment. It shouldn't be a bad commute at all.

Old 07-18-2010, 09:28 PM

14,627 posts, read 31,212,414 times
Parking at the main campus is a BEAR. I would ride the bus. You have to pay for a parking permit, and you may or may not get a spot. The reserved spots are for deans. You can pay ~$500 a year for an "A" spot but even then it's not "yours"....it's just closer to the buildings. Ride the bus.

Old 07-18-2010, 09:29 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,021,091 times
Like ElMariachi mentioned the VIA bus does stop at UTSA downtown for both dropoff and pickup. Here's some information from their website below (http://www.utsa.edu/dtcamp/transportation.html):

>>
Transit bus service between UTSA's Main and Downtown campuses is available through an agreement with VIA Metropolitan Transit. Students, faculty, and staff may ride VIA Express routes #93 and #94 AT NO CHARGE with a valid UTSACard.

The VIA express route 93 downtown stop is located on the Downtown Campus at the Buena Vista street and Frio street bus stops . The Main Campus VIA stop is located north of the Business Building in parking lot 3. The 94 bus stops on Dolorosa Street.

VIA schedule information including the express routes 93 and 94 is available online at VIA Metropolitan Transit or by calling 362-2020.
<<

Also, once you get dropped off by VIA at the UTSA Main 1604 Campus, then the campus provides free shuttle bus service throughout the campus. You'll have to figure out which one you need to take to where you are going to on campus though as there are several.

Old 07-19-2010, 03:06 AM

575 posts, read 1,262,760 times
As others have said you have to pay for a parking permit at UTSA. My first semester there was it like $120 for a permit. It has since gone down because students voted to lower it and charging every student $20 in fees. I want to say it was like $80 something when I left. Parking can be a pain when it is jam packed and during peak hours. The spots fill up fast especially in the student lots. Not sure about the faculty lots but I'm sure it is just as bad. They did finally finish that new parking garage as I was graduating. You have to pay per hour to park in it. If you plan to live in downtown I would just take the VIA bus it would be way easier and free with your ID.

Old 07-19-2010, 03:11 AM

575 posts, read 1,262,760 times
Here is a list of permit prices from their website.

Business Auxiliary Services - UTSA - The University of Texas at San Antonio

Old 07-23-2010, 08:25 PM

I've looked at the VIA bus schedules and the UTSA parking permit info and if I get a place close enough to the downtown campus the bus looks like a great option. Though my current commute isn't too bad, I'd rather relax and read a book than get stressed out in traffic and hunt for a parking spot. Especially since I'm not being hired as a dean so the UTSA "executive" spots are probably not an option for me. ;-)

Old 07-23-2010, 09:33 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,021,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrilledFoodColdBeer View Post
I've looked at the VIA bus schedules and the UTSA parking permit info and if I get a place close enough to the downtown campus the bus looks like a great option. Though my current commute isn't too bad, I'd rather relax and read a book than get stressed out in traffic and hunt for a parking spot. Especially since I'm not being hired as a dean so the UTSA "executive" spots are probably not an option for me. ;-)
Very true!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or