Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 07:56 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,046,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvlpr View Post
I read "exceptional cup of coffee". I guess I have a different definition of what that means.
... Hot and black, baby. That's what really matters. You'll figure it out when things get really tough. Us simpletons enjoy the simple things. That's why I'm still in this very simple city. Most of us like it that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2010, 08:15 PM

107 posts, read 277,633 times
ive worked for coffee companies, sold coffee at specialty stores, and drank more than my fair share of it myself. when people ask my advice as to what is best all i can honestly say is that if you are happy with whats in your cup and dont mind paying for it then youre doing it right, regardless of whether its 3 bucks a can or 320 a pound. and i have had both and darn near everything in between.

Old 07-31-2010, 06:19 PM

85 posts, read 201,114 times
I tried Brown Coffee Company for the first time this morning on the recommendations in this thread. Great stuff! Best I've had for sure. Really cool that it wasn't at all bitter as I'm used to tasting, although it still had all of the flavor that makes coffee great. The owner takes coffee very seriously and it's quite a science.
It was a bit crowded (only 3 small tables), although I noticed that it encouraged patrons to start conversations with strangers due to the shortage of tables. Kinda neat.
Business was jumping, so hopefully he'll extend the hours in the future - I'm more of an evening coffee drinker. Thanks for the recommendation!

Old 07-31-2010, 10:23 PM

522 posts, read 1,132,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naxxan View Post
ive worked for coffee companies, sold coffee at specialty stores, and drank more than my fair share of it myself. when people ask my advice as to what is best all i can honestly say is that if you are happy with whats in your cup and dont mind paying for it then youre doing it right, regardless of whether its 3 bucks a can or 320 a pound. and i have had both and darn near everything in between.
that's more or less what i was hoping would come from this thread, in addition to recommendations for coffee lovers. even if it doesn't suit everyone's tastes, i like to know what a good cup of coffee has been to them. everyone kept telling me mcdonalds had "better than expected" coffee. i didn't agree, but i like knowing what people think about it.

sounds like brown coffee co is going to be my next stop this week!

Old 08-01-2010, 10:09 AM

824 posts, read 1,816,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillCountryHotRodMan View Post
... Hot and black, baby. That's what really matters. You'll figure it out when things get really tough. Us simpletons enjoy the simple things. That's why I'm still in this very simple city. Most of us like it that way.
You really ought to give Brown a try. Their coffee is no more expensive than Starbucks (less in some cases).

And this isn't a "very simple city", though that might be true if your definition of "exceptional" is chain/franchise stuff.

There are ambitious, creative people doing great things in SA, and they deserve a thumbs-up for their efforts. At the very least, people ought to acknowledge that what they're producing is clearly superior to chain/franchise stuff.

Old 08-01-2010, 05:06 PM

246 posts, read 433,585 times
Also went over to Brown this weekend. Can't believe this is our first time since we live in Monticello Park and it is only a couple of blocks away.

Fantastic cup of Joe. Wife had a iced drink and thought the same.

Old 08-01-2010, 05:44 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,046,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvlpr View Post
You really ought to give Brown a try.
I'll do that the next time we are in the area. We try to drink coffee nearly every place we go.

Old 08-02-2010, 03:29 PM

57 posts, read 158,384 times
I was very impressed with Brown. I picked up a pound of their Kenya Karuya beans the week before last, and have been enjoying a great cup of espresso every morning at home. I am able to get thick red-brown crema, and the taste is very rich and flavorful.

Old 08-08-2010, 03:16 PM

27 posts, read 43,523 times
Magnolia Pancake Haus also serves Douwe Egbert coffee; and yes, it is wonderful.

Guess I will need to try Brown, though: this forum isn't the first place I've heard how exceptional it is!

Old 08-09-2010, 04:43 AM

791 posts, read 3,959,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalizedTexan View Post
Magnolia Pancake Haus also serves Douwe Egbert coffee; and yes, it is wonderful.

Guess I will need to try Brown, though: this forum isn't the first place I've heard how exceptional it is!
I do NOT understand the comments in support of Douwe Egbert coffee. I tried this for the first time on base here in Italy and it is bitter... just AWFUL. The only reason they seem to carry it here is there are so many military folks who were previously stationed in Germany & are used to this swill. Even my old store-bought standby Cafe Bustelo tastes better in my coffeemaker. Thank heavens I have access to the best espresso ever brewed on virtually every streetcorner. Oh, and +1 for Brown Coffee, again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio