U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-27-2007, 07:45 AM

36 posts, read 104,413 times
In my opinion, SA is an integrated city. This fact is one of the things that attracts me to the area. Money designates local here not race or origin. I am originally from Southern California. North San Fernando Valley... and SA is NOT at all like LA and the SFV. The hispanic community here has been here for the most part a very long time and has a large influence in the culture and a Souther Californian will find it very different than CA.

Our new neighborhood on the Northwest is Whites, Latinos, Blacks and slight mixt of other nationalities. Latinos in SA, in my opinion, for the majority, have assimulated and integrated very nicely.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2007, 07:53 AM

Missing in SA..... ethnically for sure by lack of good ethnic restaurants are in my opinion

Italian - not one deli with meat and cheese and good ricotta and pastry. No north italian restaurants
Jewish - not one good deli with great corn beef pastrami or brisket (no no BBQ'd)
Greek/Middle Eastern - babaganoush, homus, kebobs........
Danish/Swedish/Polish - pastries or restaurants
French

Also there are no excellent bakeries.

Most of all I miss the Italian and Jewish Delis .......

Old 06-27-2007, 07:54 AM

OH yeah.... Baja Style Mexican Food.... MISSING

Old 06-27-2007, 01:26 PM

13,805 posts, read 18,436,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valleygalbabs View Post
Missing in SA..... ethnically for sure by lack of good ethnic restaurants are in my opinion

Italian - not one deli with meat and cheese and good ricotta and pastry. No north italian restaurants
Jewish - not one good deli with great corn beef pastrami or brisket (no no BBQ'd)
Greek/Middle Eastern - babaganoush, homus, kebobs........
Danish/Swedish/Polish - pastries or restaurants
French

Also there are no excellent bakeries.

Most of all I miss the Italian and Jewish Delis .......
I wish someone could prove you wrong on this, but unfortunately I think you're right
I've been craving a good hot pastrami sandwich with havarti cheese for decades and have struck out everywhere I've lived. Only place that had that was where I grew up and worked my first real job, Ann Arbor, Michigan. I worked in a bagel place and we had the best steamed pastrami and corned beef you can imagine. I used to take a fresh hot salt or garlic bagel out of the oven and make me a serious cholesterol sandwich. It would probably give me an immediate heart attack now, but back then I was an indestructible teenager

Old 06-27-2007, 06:27 PM

106 posts, read 319,586 times
Try Timo's on San Pedro by SAC for sandwiches. They're pretty good.

Old 06-27-2007, 07:45 PM

1,722 posts, read 129,655 times
Big Kahuna in Midtown near the San Pedro Playhouse is a fantastic deli that grows in house.

Old 06-27-2007, 09:25 PM

483 posts, read 1,100,086 times
What about Demos on Blanco and 410 for Greek?

Old 06-28-2007, 11:40 AM

565 posts, read 746,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanshirt View Post
What about Demos on Blanco and 410 for Greek?
I love this place they have good Greek food. They also have two other locations Blanco and 1640 then N. Saint Mary's street.

Old 06-28-2007, 01:03 PM

734 posts, read 2,042,764 times
John the Greek was very good - 281 and Thousand Oaks.

McAllister Deli was good, but not New York good.

Where are the good Bagel places? I miss that!

Old 06-28-2007, 01:32 PM

3,070 posts, read 5,564,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert123 View Post
Read my post again. I was talking about groups that are very tightly concentrated in a particular neighborhood with their own restaurants, stores, beauty salons, places of worship, etc., to the exclusion of other groups. As all have argued in this thread, SA does not have that. Ethnic groups are all spread out throughout the city. I think that is more bland than being able to park the car and stroll through a particular culture's urban enclave. SA does not have that. The original poster can live anywhere in SA and find the same Home Depot as in any other.
On the whole I would agree with you, BUT drive down West Commerce between San Felipe and Acme road and tell me it is not an enclave of almost entirely hispanic family owned businesses. The deep west side and the deep east side around Hackberry/MLK are very much ethnic enclaves. I agree that this is mostly due to economic factors rather than racial ones, but the result is very comparable.

The deep west side is probably a much better example of a cultural enclave than the east side, however. It has a much higher population of recent generation immigrants that provide that cultural identity to the neighborhoods than does the east side.

Since both of these areas are predominantly lower income neighborhoods, they do not factor into the original question of where do the middle class latinos live. The previously given answers are pretty much correct, live wherever you like and can afford. Any acceptance problems will be due to personal issues, not ethnic issues.

If your attitudes are in line with west coast latino or New York (Urban ethnic) attitudes, you may find a bit of culture shock in any SA neighborhood. The Latino culture of Texas is quite different that latino cultures in other areas of the country. The naturally conservative bent of our liberals is often unnerving to newly transplanted liberals as well. It's all okay, we know you will soon assimilate. Afterall, resistance is futile!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio