U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 12-10-2011, 01:42 PM

1,326 posts, read 1,049,950 times
Default Woai Not in Canada,

Woai's broadcast fades out by Dallas by automoble. I have recieved woai radio signal in Battle Creek,mi in once,one time, in 1978 before the internet, because of course nowadays the signal is broadcast over the internet. That was back when when it was worth listening to.
Radio personalities like Bob Guthrie, Bill McReynolds,Bud Little,and later on Carl Wigglesworth were excellent for listening to talk radio. I never listened to anything else like it except for WMAQ out of Chicago -no longer in business.
In particular McReynolds had a Farm and ranch weathercast here, that went on for an entire hour.
At noon every weekday Guthrie would announce news and such for
twenty minutes and then McReynolds would come on with a weather report
for Texas that was great- a short and long range statewide forecast that would last until 1:00 in the afternoon.
Also included were city to city rainfall amounts and coordinates for advancing storm front lines, daily ag and livestock prices from around the state, advertisements for agricultural implements from dealerships, herbicides etc. Very,very informative.
Nowadays it is strictly propaganda being spread by manure spreader Limbaugh. Unbelievably the manure now is in excess of what was being broadcast out of there before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goominim View Post
Hmm... San Antonio has a Clear Channel AM radio station (1200 KHz) with the call letters WOAI. They were/are a very powerful station that had exclusive rights to that frequency in North America and into Canada. I'm assuming that the station could be heard all the way INTO Canada. I don't know if that's still the case, and I don't know if they were broadcasting in 1946 or not. Perhaps they were!
Quick reply to this message

Unread 12-10-2011, 02:25 PM

3,108 posts, read 5,603,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post
In the 1970s, I was a big fan of KITE "The Golden Sound", Terrell Hills, Texas. My favorite DJs were Tom East, and Randy Wood. Toni Cullum got her start on the morning show with Tom East.
Hey, Outafocus, how are you doing? I too, liked KITE and my favorite singer on that station was John Gary. He was from Dallas and was a SCUBA diver. I use to dive myself. Gary died in the 1990's. Miss his voice... I saw him in person at the Hyatt Regency in Dallas in the 1970's.

Unread 12-11-2011, 01:15 AM

953 posts, read 1,081,292 times
I once got WOAI radio all the way to El Paso when I drove there on a VERY cold winter's night in the late 80s. I think that was the day the fish all went for the warm water cooling the generator at Calaveras lake, causing a major blackout. Jud Ashmore kept me apprised of the bitterly cold weather San Antnio was experiencing. WOAI usually pooped out just past Junction when heading west.

gy2020, I remember John Gary. I think he had a short lived TV show in the 60s or early 70s. One of the things I liked about KITE besides the great music was their DJs, and each DJ had a theme song played at the beginning and end of each show. The end theme song for the Randy Wood show was "Manhattan Lullaby" by Montovani. I always thought that was a classy tune, and a perfect ending song.

Unread 12-11-2011, 09:23 AM

160 posts, read 259,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
Woai's broadcast fades out by Dallas by automoble. I have recieved woai radio signal in Battle Creek,mi in once,one time, in 1978 before the internet, because of course nowadays the signal is broadcast over the internet. That was back when when it was worth listening to.
Hello Huckster, do you remember if it was during the night time that you heard WOAI in MI? As far as I can tell from info that I've read, the possible receiving distance seems to be increased during the night time hours due to a couple of reasons.

According the their website, WOAI increased their power to the max allowable (50,000 Watts) in 1930:

News Radio 1200 WOAI San Antonio Texas

I also found this amazing tidbit of info of what happened to their tower: in 1956:

WOAI San Antonio Texas - GHN: IEEE Global History Network

Unread 12-13-2011, 02:19 PM

I could pick up WOAI in St. Louis, Mo. It wasn't very clear but nice to hear a voice from home while I resided in St. Louis metro from 1999-2006. On other trips I could pick up WOAI as far north as Wyoming. I would love to hear about some of the old pirate stations along the Mexico border blaring at 100,000 watts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Border_blaster

Unread 12-13-2011, 02:47 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
855 posts, read 1,100,118 times
In the early 70's me and a buddy of mine took off to find America (everybody was doing it) in my VW. We went from San Antonio to Los Angeles, up hwy 1 to San Francisco, through Sacramento and on to Reno then back towards Texas. We were gone about 2 weeks and we started picking up WOAI around midnight on the Texas border. I don't know if we found America, but we did find Hitler's Rolls Royce, 50 cent Gasoline (OUTRAGIOUS!)and a guy who could play Amazing Grace on his bagpipes. WOAI sounded so great! We were almost home.

Unread 12-13-2011, 04:26 PM

953 posts, read 1,081,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gy2020 View Post
I could pick up WOAI in St. Louis, Mo. It wasn't very clear but nice to hear a voice from home while I resided in St. Louis metro from 1999-2006. On other trips I could pick up WOAI as far north as Wyoming. I would love to hear about some of the old pirate stations along the Mexico border blaring at 100,000 watts.

Border blaster - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Back in 1981 or so, we installed AM radio sound at the San Pedro Drive In. It worked fairly well until one night, while running "On Golden Pond", one of those Mexican megastations hit the airwaves, and kicked our 5 watt radio signal to smithereens.

We had a way of changing the frequency when static, or some sort of minor interference came in. We would stop the movie, and tell the patrons which frequency to change to over the sound system, then restart the film.

We didn't have that luxury up against the megastation. We had to stop the movie, and sent people out to each car with the instructions. We had a pretty full lot, and it took us about a half hour to inform everyone where to tune their radios for the rest of the film. The next day we got an order from Santikos to discontinue the radio sound, and reinstall the speakers in that 1500 car drive in!

Unread 12-13-2011, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post
Back in 1981 or so, we installed AM radio sound at the San Pedro Drive In. It worked fairly well until one night, while running "On Golden Pond", one of those Mexican megastations hit the airwaves, and kicked our 5 watt radio signal to smithereens.

We had a way of changing the frequency when static, or some sort of minor interference came in. We would stop the movie, and tell the patrons which frequency to change to over the sound system, then restart the film.

We didn't have that luxury up against the megastation. We had to stop the movie, and sent people out to each car with the instructions. We had a pretty full lot, and it took us about a half hour to inform everyone where to tune their radios for the rest of the film. The next day we got an order from Santikos to discontinue the radio sound, and reinstall the speakers in that 1500 car drive in!
Outafocus: Are some of the old pirates still around? What frequency?

Unread 12-13-2011, 05:44 PM

1,326 posts, read 1,049,950 times
Default Woai,

Yes, that is correct about recieving a woai signal so far away, it was at night.
Battle Creek,mi had no local tv stations so everyone had tall antennae towers in order ( cable tv was new -back then) to get a tv station signal from Kalamazoo or Grand Rapids,mi. Even at that the tv signal received was still poor.
Late one night down in the basement, I hooked up what was then a newer Pioneer solid state receiver to the antennae and dialed in at 1200 am and got a woai signal.
Interesting airplane collision story.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goominim View Post
Hello Huckster, do you remember if it was during the night time that you heard WOAI in MI? As far as I can tell from info that I've read, the possible receiving distance seems to be increased during the night time hours due to a couple of reasons.

According the their website, WOAI increased their power to the max allowable (50,000 Watts) in 1930:

News Radio 1200 WOAI San Antonio Texas

I also found this amazing tidbit of info of what happened to their tower: in 1956:

WOAI San Antonio Texas - GHN: IEEE Global History Network

Unread 02-01-2012, 01:18 PM

5 posts, read 2,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mj1120 View Post
Can't forget about some of the R&B/Urban Contemporary radio in San Antonio such as KAPE-1480, that lasted until somewhere around the mid to late 80's and they flipped to Gospel as KCHL which stands to this day.

I used to love KAPE radio. This would be circa 1971--1974, when they used to play lots of great "old school" R&B like Marvin Gaye, Stylistics, Chi-Lites, Delfonics, etc.

Their slogan was "WHEN YOU NEED A LITTLE SOUL..." And in downtown San Antonio, you'd see one of their highway billboards: a 70's attired, Afro'd honey in a bulging purple halter, supine. Plus their slogan.

On Sunday mornings they also featured sermons and programs of Black Gospel, which was not so commonly heard on South Texas radio at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio