Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 05:23 PM

25 posts, read 131,547 times

Advertisements

When I was young and picked this poster up I thought it would be neat to shelack it to a board - that is why it has cracked/wrinkled in the corner - otherwise I have treated it with kit gloves all these years and have it hanging in my office. I have uploaded it...hopefully that worked!
Attached Thumbnails
San Antonio Radio Stations From The Past-kexlposter.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2007, 06:00 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,431,087 times
Sweet poster.

Old 08-11-2007, 08:12 AM

Willsatx, tony78201, and tcs

I got my cassette to CD hardware/software and have begun to digitize some of my cassette collection from the KEXL days. I'm going to be putting little gems that happened between the songs up on this page as I find them.
KEXL

Old 08-11-2007, 08:30 AM
tcs

218 posts, read 876,675 times
WOW I am glad thjat someone knows where their old cassettes are because i sure can not find mine. I also will look forward to hearing some of the old streams from KEXL. On another note, I did not know that Alan Grimm died. We moved away from SA in 1989 and I did not find out about Joe Anthony passing until about 2 years after it happened. I play Silent Lucidity and think of that Joe and how i miss his airings.
As far as parents listening to crap, mine listened to that sickening KITE AM. Then when they finally bought a car with a FM (mono) radio, it was KQXT. AUH, so in 1970 or so after a night at the drive in I came home and spinning the FM dial, i heard this drum solo and a song that seemed it would never end. Well when it did, the DJ said, "That was Iron Butterfly- InAGaddaDaVida"
and i am Mike Love and this is Now Sounds. Kexl was in the womb.
AMFM Radio today give you unlimited reasons to move to XM. So Boneyard XM41 thanks.

PLEASE GET THE TAPES DIGITIZED AND POSTED. THAT WILL BE SOOOOOO COOOL.

Well I hope i spelled everything right...here goes.

Old 08-11-2007, 06:35 PM

3,247 posts, read 9,047,815 times
Congratulation to Ricci Ware-55 years of broadcasting

Old 08-13-2007, 12:03 PM

61 posts, read 257,811 times
Jay P..you said it well. I remember the Ol' Cedar Chopper saying in the last days, we are K-E-X-L, kexl for short, but not for long.

I remember Ruby Bagonia, the champion turkey, and Flash in the Pan, the champion armadillo...Terlingua, album sides, King Buiscut, Dr Demento, Nat'l Lampoon Radio Hour (of course, 30 minutes long)...and I remember them playing "In the End"...those WERE magical days.

Old 08-13-2007, 12:29 PM

Munerider, thanks for bringing back more memories! The King Buscuit Flour Hour...the armadillo races!.....the 30 minute Nat Lamp Radio Hour (with most of the cast of 1st year SNL before SNL happened)...DrDemento. I'm working through my tapes, it's been almost an addiction to "play one more!". I've found a number of real gems on my old cassettes - as I find them I'm putting them onto a web page - KEXL I'm hoping to find some tape with Sam Kendrick and Allen Grimm in the morning and one of the odd radio programs "The Fourth Tower of Inverness" with the Madonna Vampira...remember that one? I have a couple T-shirts, belt buckle and decals stored away that I need to digitize and put onto the website as well. 30 years later and the wonders of technology!

Old 08-28-2007, 12:32 AM

For those fans of the old KEXL, periodically check my site. KEXL
This forum turns the above URL to just a link. The total URL is
w w w . p e n n i n g t o n t e c h n i c a l a r t s . c o m / K E X L without the spaces in between.

Old 08-29-2007, 03:50 AM

217 posts, read 751,997 times
Default Way back

I remember when we used to listen to 55KTSA and 86KONO on the AM because FM wasn't really going on in the late 60s-early 70s. I forget what station I listened to when FM was viable before I moved to the NE. I tell kids that there were no real genres concerning music then as 3 Dog Night, The Jackson 5 and Yes would all be playing in rotation. It was the days of Billboard's Top 40s.
I moved back for a year in the late 70s and KMAC/KISS was the bomb. Joe Anthony and Lou Roney would put the needle on an LP, let it ride and then flip it over for the other side. I heard lots of Riot, Legs Diamond, UFO, KISS, RUSH and every other band you want to name.
On lunch break at work, I would tune into an AM station I loved as they always had the local "Farm Report" which was a hoot.

Old 08-29-2007, 09:23 AM

284 posts, read 1,086,956 times
Does anyone else remember in the 80's when one of the rock stations would play all of an artist's songs from A to Z? It was probably KZEP. They would do this over a weekend and sometimes it spilled over to the weekdays until they finished. I know they did AC/DC A to Z. I think they may have done the Beatles too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio