Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2010, 03:29 PM

128 posts, read 433,826 times

Advertisements

Hi! We are closing on a home there in 3 weeks! When we first went out there, we were set on Stone Oaks area....but I have to admit..it frightened me a little w/all the traffic and overcrowded schools..the 1 home we loved in that area was one that gets capped so I had no clue where my DD would be going to kindergarten in the fall....so.
We let our realtor take us to the Schertz/Cibolo area and felt much more comfortable there. Seems like a nice enough area and not far from The Forum which has lots of shops that I usually go to in it.
We are buying a 4 yr old home built by DR Horton in Belmont Park....anyone live there, hear anything good or bad about it?? We still have 3 days to back out if we need to, lol! but lets hope we dont.

Looking forward to our move!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2010, 12:04 AM

18,039 posts, read 25,052,276 times
I live in that area... If I'm not wrong, thats the neighborhood right next to a pretty new elementary school.

I'll tell you the little that I know...
- There's pretty much no crime in that area. But the gas station on FM1103 & I-35 got robbed several months ago.
- From there to the airport (I work in tha area it'll take you 25 minutes doing 5 over the speed limit with no traffic. During "normal" rush hour traffic, it would take 45 minutes.
- One of the worst things about that area, is that "we" depend on I-35 to go to San Antonio, and there's billions of 18 wheelers going up and down I-35 everyday. There's 3 lanes on the highway when you are driving (6 total) and the 18 wheelers pretty much own the middle lane.
- Something nice is the proximity to New Braunfels (10 miles) that has Landa Park, one of the best parks in the San Antonio area.
- Something else nice... is that "we" are about 55 miles from Austin. One day it took me exactly 1 hour from my house until I parked in downtown Austin (there wasn't much traffic in Austin that day).
- The Forum is relatively close... but you will not believe that usually there's more going down I-35 on a Saturday morning than when I go to work during rush hour.
- Save this link to "TXDOT webpage (http://www.transguide.dot.state.tx.us/website/frontend/default.html?r=SAT&p=San%20Antonio&t=map - broken link)" for some reason they like close 4 out of the 6 lanes on I-35 on the bridge that goes over Cibolo Creek (by Selma, TX) from Friday night to Sunday and the traffic is insane.
I usually take roads 2252 or FM78 to 1604 to avoid it.
- Cibolo is pretty much the end of San Antonio, there's pretty much nothing going NE, East of South from Cibolo until you get to New Braunfels or Seguin.
- There's a store called Garden Ridge that is really big and has lots of cool cheap things for the house.

I don't want to scare, but it's just for you to be aware.
Watch for ‘fake' police, local authorities warn - Jan. 2010 (http://www.mysanantonio.com/community/northeast/Watch_for_fake_police_local_authorities_warn.html - broken link)

Old 07-23-2010, 12:09 AM

I forgot to mention...

There should be a lot of growth in that area (FM1103)
because that's clearly the road that connects "downtown Cibolo" to I-35.
and about 3-4 months ago they changed the stop signs by I-35 and installed street lights.

"Downtown cibolo" just had its main street renovated and has a really nice soccer specific field next to .... I don't know what's called.
And they are building some big building next to that field, I'm guessing that is going to be bathrooms, concession stands, etc.

Old 07-23-2010, 01:13 AM

61,028 posts, read 85,838,736 times
I think Landa Park is in New Braunfels
Hmmm. ok... if you want to call New Braunfels in San Antonio area

Old 07-23-2010, 08:23 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 37,941,720 times
Lots of good threads about Cibolo already in this forum. You might find it helpful to spend 20 minutes browsing through the threads that come up when you search this forum for "Cibolo." Just looking at the titles, I saw threads comparing the school district to other districts, threads discussing future development there and a thread discussing shifting soil there.

Old 07-23-2010, 01:40 PM

Thanks~
Oh and Dopo...thanks for the links....my parents live outside Dallas and mom was just telling me the other day about several women getting pulled over by fake cops and being raped...yikes. That is scary stuff! I will definatly drive a REAL cop nuts b/c I will drive however far I have to to pull over in a lit parking lot...of course, I shouldn't be doing anything that would make a real cop pull me over though

Old 07-23-2010, 04:48 PM

1 posts, read 2,292 times
Cibolo is a great small town, the building next to the Soccer Field is the new Police Station. Great food on main street and lots of focus on developing in a manner to promote the small town feel and lifestyle. Sonic just opened on FM1103 and more great stuff in the pipeline. Cibolo is improving Cibolo Valley Drive and the Fire Station next to Veterans Memorial Park will open in several months. The Mayor is focused on long term proper growth.

Old 07-25-2010, 08:24 AM

Good to know with all that open space/land still available they intend to keep it "small town feel"...afterall SA is just a short drive away and this is the exact reason we picked Cibolo over SA....I"m just not a city girl and I dont' mind living in a smaller town with not a ton to do as long as a bigger city isnt' too far w/the good stuff

Old 08-05-2010, 12:33 PM

947 posts, read 1,242,057 times
They just finished building a new YMCA right here in Schertz, and Schertz has a new library you can use, since Cibolo doesn't have one yet. Seguin is Right down the road
and New Braunfels is close and so is Universal city and Live Oak.Live Oak has the Live Oak regal Cinema, so there are things to do around here.

Old 08-05-2010, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritos56 View Post
They just finished building a new YMCA right here in Schertz, and Schertz has a new library you can use, since Cibolo doesn't have one yet.
If you join YMCA, you can go to the one in Schertz (next to the new library) and the one in New Braunfels that happens to be on the South-West side of New Braunfels.

The one in Schertz doesn't have a swimming pool, but the one in New Braunfels does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio