U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 02:02 PM

2,802 posts, read 2,138,123 times
Default Ceylon Cinnamon

I've been looking for this type of cinnamon, which is apparently more popular in England and Mexico than it is here. Does anyone know where I could find it in the San Antonio area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 02:05 PM

1,933 posts, read 1,766,638 times
Have you looked in Whole Foods or World Market? Sometimes they have spices and things that aren't normally at the HEB or Walmart...

Old 07-22-2010, 02:13 PM
Status: "Character is what you do when no one is looking..." (set 22 days ago)

21,014 posts, read 22,187,467 times
What is it? A cinnamon stick? A tea? A spice?

Old 07-22-2010, 02:28 PM

It's a type of true cinnamon (either ground or in sticks) with a different flavor than cassia cinnamon. What is commonly found in stores in this country are almost always types of cassia...which are allowed to be called cinnamon also. Very confusing...but I need the Ceylon Cinnamon and wanted to check around locally first before considering ordering it from somewhere else. It isn't in any grocery store I've been to and have checked with a couple of ethnic groceries also.

Old 07-22-2010, 02:43 PM
Status: "Character is what you do when no one is looking..." (set 22 days ago)

21,014 posts, read 22,187,467 times
I can check with Phoenicia... or do it yourself online.

Old 07-22-2010, 03:04 PM

676 posts, read 896,114 times
Not local but I love Penzey's spices, and I know I've seen it and a couple other kinds of cinnamon there. I mail order from them a couple times per year.

Old 07-22-2010, 03:26 PM

Thanks! I've ordered from Penzeys before and I know they have the best quality stuff. Actually, I did find out that Whole Foods has it, but it's in such a very small quantity (and a very high price)that I might have to order from Penzey's, where at least I can get a decent quantity of it. BTW, in Mexico they use the word Canela, from what I hear.

Old 07-23-2010, 05:16 AM

Oh, I finally did find out that one of the Michoacana stores says they have Canela/Ceylon Cinnamon...don't know how good the quality might be, but may try it. I read somewhere that the people in Mexico use this a lot...and I assume some that live here also use it. It's a healthier cinnamon than cassia, IMO.

Old 07-23-2010, 12:59 PM

794 posts, read 2,864,988 times
There is a big difference between Ceylon (or Sri Lankan) cinnamon and cassia (also known as Saigon or Korintje) cinnamon. The latter types of cinnamon contain high levels of coumarin, a natural anticoagulant/blood thinner, while the "real" cinnamon from Ceylon/Sri Lanka contains almost no coumarin. If you take the blood thinner Coumadin (also known as Warfarin, Jantoven, Marevan, Lawarin, and Waran) and consume significant amounts of Saigon/Korintje/Cassia cinnamon, then you may unknowingly be at risk for serious and dangerous side effects.

Ceylon cinnamon is much more expensive than Saigon/Korintje/Cassia cinnamon... you can tell the difference between them by looking at the curled up cinnamon stick. Ceylon is very thin, tightly curled and delicate/flaky, while Saigon/Korintje/Cassia is a thicker piece of bark that is very solid and hard to break. I checked Whole Foods & Central Market a while back and both said they don't carry Ceylon cinnamon... I'll have to check Penzey's and order online. Thanks for the tip!

Old 07-23-2010, 05:23 PM

Both my DH and I are on aspirin (which has a much milder blood-thinner effect than Coumadin) , so I do want to be careful. I found Canela Molida (ground) and Canela Entera (sticks) at La Michoacana today, pretty cheap there. While it doesn't say Ceylon or give the botanical name, it does look like Ceylon Cinnamon...at least, the sticks are pretty obviously Ceylon. I'm going to try some of that to see if I like it. I'll probably order something from Penzey's anyway...I have a coupon for a free 1/4 cup jar, so will look at their catalog and see what I want to order soon. I wonder if we'll ever get a Penzey's in this area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio