Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 05:38 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,406,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by biomama View Post
I teach at a private school that requires that I start the day at 7:45 am. Too expensive to take my own kids there.
The school you teach at doesn't have any free tuition for employees' kids?

I know specifically at UIW, all full-time professors could get their kids in completely free at UIW and even their younger one's would get in free at St. Anthony Catholic High School or Incarnate Word High School (they are all a part of UIW).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2010, 08:02 PM

1,690 posts, read 3,617,197 times
You still have the responsibility to teach them safety guidelines whether or not you quit your job. Just because you are going to quit your job to guard your kids all the time doesn't mean you are absolving yourself of the job of teaching them about stranger danger, calling 911, etc. Get started now.

Old 07-23-2010, 08:23 PM

151 posts, read 299,438 times
Sheesh, I understand being concerned for your children but at what point will they be able to walk to the bus stop unattended? Reading this makes me seem like a bad parent because I let my 4th grader (!) ride the bus home and walk home by himself.

Now, I know it's not popular to quote statistics and *gasp* I don't have exact numbers but it has been said that most incidences of child sexual molestation is instigated by someone your child knows. Usually a family member. I for one, have gotten really tired of the "stranger danger" phenomenon and prefer to raise a "Free Range Kid", so to speak.

Having said all that, I respect that your having trouble finding an appropriate way for your child to get to school and I sincerely hope you find a way to rectify that.

Old 07-23-2010, 08:46 PM

2,216 posts, read 4,540,445 times
the problem of perverts will not go away when in high school or even college unfortunately. There is always someone sick enough and strong enough to do something God Forbid. Most bus stops have a slew of kids to help with that safety.
If that is not an option, aside from a neighbor then it may mean a job change.

As far as why don't the middle schools offer child care.......I've said this before. Childcare is not the schools job. Educating is. Schools have drastically cut funding as it is. Where would they get the money for this? I don't mean to offend but I hear this often but I can't help but wonder when that became the job of the school system?

Old 07-23-2010, 09:02 PM

1,690 posts, read 3,617,197 times
Quote:
Sheesh, I understand being concerned for your children but at what point will they be able to walk to the bus stop unattended? Reading this makes me seem like a bad parent because I let my 4th grader (!) ride the bus home and walk home by himself.
You are not a bad parent on this point alone. You are presumably teaching responsible behavior, which is part of good parenting. You teach the child to be a responsible bus rider and a (part way at least) walker to home. This has to start at some point where the child is ready for independent self care skills. Many (nondisabled) ten year olds are ready to take on more responsibility for independent life skills. They are no longer babies for that matter. However a disability can complicate this somewhat. At any rate the OP needs to understand that she must still teach safety and self care skills whether or not she quits her private school job. There is no excuse not to.

Old 07-23-2010, 09:11 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,026,845 times
I'm just shocked that she has a teaching job after just moving here. Whoa! Congrats! But, if you were to quit, that would leave an opening for one of the teachers that have been looking like crazy to find a position.

I think your options are A) get help from a friend or neighbor or B) find a different job.

Old 07-23-2010, 09:14 PM

3,468 posts, read 8,554,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatotex97 View Post

As far as why don't the middle schools offer child care.......I've said this before. Childcare is not the schools job. Educating is. Schools have drastically cut funding as it is. Where would they get the money for this? I don't mean to offend but I hear this often but I can't help but wonder when that became the job of the school system?
Couldn't have said it better!!! So very true!

Ya gotta figure out a way to balance priorities and when to expand responsibilities. I'm SURE not an expert in this field (even tho I have more kids than most, including adult "children"), and I may be "weird", but I figure it's MY job to make sure my kids are safe and getting to school on time. Not the school/district. Does it affect my ability to find a satisfying job/career? You bet! Does it mean that I need to teach them to be responsible teenagers/adults? Absolutely!

Old 07-23-2010, 09:33 PM

874 posts, read 2,893,558 times
If your school doesn't provide free/reduced tuition or scholarships, is there another private school near where you will teach that perhaps offers partial or full scholarships? Maybe a good charter school?

What time do you have to leave home in order to make it to work on time? How far is the bus stop from the house? Is it possible to call the school or the district transportation office to find out how many kids usually are at that stop? Maybe you would feel more comfortable if there are a lot of kids at the stop - safety in numbers and all that. Is there band or another activity at the school that your child could join? Sometimes kids in band can go into the Band Hall before school starts; in an athletic program, the child might be able to go into the gym. If that's the case, you might be able to drop off on your way to work.

I'd hate for you to have to quit your job. If you already signed your contract, I don't know what the repercussions at a private school for resigning from your position.

Old 07-23-2010, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatotex97 View Post
Childcare is not the schools job. Educating is. Schools have drastically cut funding as it is. Where would they get the money for this?
I Agree.

Old 07-23-2010, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffy888 View Post
Is it possible to call the school or the district transportation office to find out how many kids usually are at that stop? Maybe you would feel more comfortable if there are a lot of kids at the stop - safety in numbers and all that. Is there band or another activity at the school that your child could join? Sometimes kids in band can go into the Band Hall before school starts; in an athletic program, the child might be able to go into the gym. If that's the case, you might be able to drop off on your way to work.
Great ideas!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio