Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 01:26 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,623,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTheTruth View Post
Price doesn't make the neighborhood ghetto. Neither do small lots. The residents do. Small yards do mean more people in a smaller area, which means more traffic, less available street parking, more car accidents, more children. It means more (large) families since they can get a larger house for less money due to the lower lot price.

Deerfield doesn't have traffic. Neither does Alamo Heights. You don't wait in a row of 300 cars like on 1604 and Culebra, or on Stone Oak Parkway. Deerfield and Alamo Heights also have alternate routes. Once you're stuck on Stone Oak, you're stuck.
im actually moving really close to alamo heights in a few days. there is absolutely NO traffic in that area. the 'traffic' that is there is always moving, unlike 281/1604 traffic.

alamo heights has some fantastic scenery, museums, the zoo is close by, LOTS TO DO! also, you dont have to be rich to live there!! im paying under 600/month for a house right next door to alamo heights in a historic district to boot!

Old 07-31-2010, 01:51 AM

693 posts, read 1,502,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterCat View Post
the NE side is starting to get crappy with the influx of katrina refugees who decided to stay here.
WOW, I can't believe someone just said this. How can you blame the katrina refugees? I know some katrina refugees that are living here and they're good people. They don't cause violence or harm. They're just productive members of society working for a living. Parts of the NE side were already bad before the hurricane happened so you can't blame it on the refugees.

Last edited by txmusicgal; 07-31-2010 at 02:19 AM..

Old 07-31-2010, 02:18 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,623,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txmusicgal View Post
WOW, I can't believe someone just said this. How can you blame the katrina refugees? I know some katrina refugees that are living here and they're good people. They don't cause violence or harm just productive members of society working for a living. Parts of NE side were already bad before the hurricane happened so you can't really blame it on the refugees.
Mike Helle, president of the San Antonio Police Officers Association, said some evacuees were using government money to buy drugs, which they sold out of downtown hotel rooms provided by FEMA. Though he noted that lawbreakers were the minority, Helle called many of the evacuees' behavior “disgusting.”

“Prostitution, drug dealing, shootings; those were things that our guys on the ground had to deal with firsthand. Anyone who says the evacuees didn't lead to an increase in crime in San Antonio is speaking utter nonsense.”

its funny that someone who works so close with the police would say this...

but hey, i guess you are right and he (and the police he represents) are wrong, eh?

theyve overstayed their welcome. relocating here was supposed to be temporary, not permanent. time for them to go back to NOLA where they came from, no?

-edit-

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local_news/Katrina_evacuees_did_not_increase_crime_study_says .html?c=y&viewAllComments=y (broken link)

check out the comments from people who lived in the places where the displaced katrina people relocated. you also forgot to mention a few key facts:

NOLA is the murder capital in america
the mayor (nagan) is openly racist, calling NOLA a 'chocolate city'

just on those 2 tidbits of factual data, how can you possibly say that the rise in crimes (have you even read the incident reports? i have) is not attributed to the plethora of people we imported from the racist, murder capital of the usa? i will wait for your well thought-out response.

Last edited by DexterCat; 07-31-2010 at 02:26 AM..

Old 07-31-2010, 10:07 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,108,718 times
I've received many complaints about off-topic posting in this thread and issued warnings in the thread twice. This thread is far too open-ended and aimless to continue here. So many tangents have sprung up and the thread is far from the original post and probably far from what the OP had in mind for discussion. San Antonio isn't perfect and discussing that is on-topic for the forum, but all of these issues and all of these parts of town shouldn't be discussed in this single thread! This thread is closed, but since I've left the off-topic posts in the thread, feel free to copy your post into a new thread and start a new topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio