Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 07:25 PM

4 posts, read 11,968 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I are currently house hunting and we have narrowed down to the Helotes area. We are currently looking at some homes off of 1604/Braun in the Enclave at Laurel Canyon. Can anyone tell me anything about this neighborhood as far what is is like? Is it quiet? Is traffic a problem? Any advice helps!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2010, 07:01 AM

437 posts, read 903,027 times
Do you really want to live right next to the quarry and asphalt plant? I wouldn't recommend it.

Old 07-30-2010, 07:28 AM

291 posts, read 607,988 times
Check out Hunters Glenn, New Leaf is the builder. Great homes, Nice area, and it's away from the Braun traffic, and the quarry and asphalt plant.

Old 07-30-2010, 07:32 AM

284 posts, read 1,087,561 times
I know someone who lives there and have visited several times. I have even been to the swimming pool with them. It seems pretty nice and quiet. I never realized a quarry and asphalt plant were nearby. It was very loud and kind of crazy on New Year's Eve and July 4 because there were a lot of people with fireworks. A police officer came around on the 4th and told people to stop, but most people kept doing it after he left. I don't know if that is unusual, but in the neighborhood where I live, there is hardly anyone with fireworks on those holidays. It was the same for areas where I have lived in the past.

Old 07-30-2010, 12:56 PM

see i have never noticed the quarry but i am going to look out for it now when we go back. does anyone know what the demographics are like? i dont want to live in an area where there are shady people. we currently live in the medical center area and not only is the traffic rediculous, but there are some shady characters around there.

Old 07-30-2010, 05:28 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,989,445 times
We live just across Braun from that neighborhood and have walked through it on several occasions. It seems nice enough but we haven't spent enough time in it to determine if the quarry and the little league fields just east of it are of concern. However, the "demographics" seem on par with the price range of the homes there--middle to upper-middle class. Of course like many neighborhoods, there is a range of houses from smaller, cheaper single story homes to larger, two-story upper-end places.

We stayed in a furnished apartment in the Medical Center and I can understand how that might have a bit of an impact on your concerns; but this area is not like that. However, as you will learn the section of 1604 south to Shaenfield can have it's "moments." But once you lived here for a while, you will learn ways to avoid those problems...

But the one thing you may want to check into is that side of Braun is still within the city limits whereas the other side--where Wildhorse is--is not (map), which means you'll be paying taxes we don't.

Oh, and you can see the quarry to the north, and the little league fields to the east in this GoogleMaps page.

Cheers! M2

Old 07-30-2010, 06:15 PM

6,707 posts, read 8,778,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarcia0418 View Post
see i have never noticed the quarry but i am going to look out for it now when we go back. does anyone know what the demographics are like? i dont want to live in an area where there are shady people. we currently live in the medical center area and not only is the traffic rediculous, but there are some shady characters around there.
I moved to the medical center area from 1604&bandera area a few years ago. I can tell you one thing for sure...the traffic there is going to be much worse there than medical center area if not the same.

Medical center area does have a rather diverse population compared to suburbia helotes however I wouldn't call the population "shady".

Old 07-31-2010, 12:22 AM

Thanks everyone for all the good advice! What about Braun Ridge as far as quality? They seem like nicer homes than the Enclave at Laurel Canyon homes. Does anyone know anything about Braun Ridge or New Leaf Homes?

Old 07-31-2010, 01:37 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,624,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post
I moved to the medical center area from 1604&bandera area a few years ago. I can tell you one thing for sure...the traffic there is going to be much worse there than medical center area if not the same.

Medical center area does have a rather diverse population compared to suburbia helotes however I wouldn't call the population "shady".
i would. just recently moved OUT of the med center. some of the places on medical are nice, some places (like datapoint and hillcrest for example) are complete dumps.

like other sides of town, the medical is mostly nice but does have bad pockets of shady people in it.

Old 07-31-2010, 06:51 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,778,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterCat View Post
i would. just recently moved OUT of the med center. some of the places on medical are nice, some places (like datapoint and hillcrest for example) are complete dumps.

like other sides of town, the medical is mostly nice but does have bad pockets of shady people in it.
Yeah, I do agree that certain areas like datapoint and hillcrest are complete dumps. Like certain areas on any side of town, I don't hang out in those areas. You can move to any side of town and still find "bad pockets" of shady people.

With that being said - I was trying to say that medical center overall isn't shady. It is not the best area of town but certainly not the worse either. I can think of worse areas but I won't list them here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio