Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 03:50 PM

615 posts, read 1,522,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappyBob View Post
People are humans. Dogs are animals. Restaurants are made for people. Dog parks are made for dogs. This is not a difficult concept, is it?
I'll admit I laughed out loud at this response. Some people are obsessed with their pets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2010, 04:50 PM

413 posts, read 741,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappyBob View Post
People are humans. Dogs are animals. Restaurants are made for people. Dog parks are made for dogs. This is not a difficult concept, is it?
Not true. My dog eats from a plate. I hope you enjoyed his slobber. He also urinated on your car on the way out.

Old 08-02-2010, 05:23 PM

615 posts, read 1,522,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTheTruth View Post
Not true. My dog eats from a plate. I hope you enjoyed his slobber. He also urinated on your car on the way out.
Awww didn't like the taste of your own condescending medicine? LOLOL

My cats eat from a plastic cat dish... my dogs would do the same.

Old 08-03-2010, 08:50 AM

85 posts, read 200,991 times
Public sentiment is very divided on this issue - as clearly evidenced in this thread.

While I realize that many people don't want dogs on the patios of restaurants, I think the health issue is a little overstated. Has anyone ever been to a restaurant patio that didn't have bird poop on at least one table or bench or umbrella? How many dead crickets are currently on every starbucks patio in the city? I'm not condoning bird poop or insects, just pointing out that people are peculiar about the things they focus their attention on.

I suppose the difference stems from birds and insects being an unavoidable part of nature, while dogs can more easily be forbidden.

So, while many people will disagree with the idea, my original question still stands - is there anything happening on the city level regarding this issue? And what can a dog owner do to help make this city more dog-friendly?

....and please avoid comparisons between kids and dogs. That's what got the last dog/restaurant thread closed.

Old 08-03-2010, 08:57 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,115,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedCoffee View Post
And what can a dog owner do to help make this city more dog-friendly?
As a dog owner myself, I'd like to see more attention focused on folks cleaning up after their pets. We focus on the stray dog population, which is a very serious issue, but if we'd like to become more dog friendly, it starts with dog etiquette from the current dog owners. This past weekend I went to the Pet Expo at the Freeman Coliseum. Free parking and free admission. Many booths with dog food samples, vaccinations, lots of pet ownership info, opportunities for adoptions. I'd like to see more of these events and I'd like to see more advertisement for it. I found out about it at the last minute.

Old 08-03-2010, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedCoffee View Post
my original question still stands - is there anything happening on the city level regarding this issue? And what can a dog owner do to help make this city more dog-friendly?
Yes. I called the city and confirmed that an exemption does exist. Los Patios has one. I also spoke to the management at Flying Saucer (not just this location but higher up as well) and they DO want to allow dogs. They're looking into what they need to do to get the exemption since the information is scarce.

Unlike the complainers in this thread, I actually go to the Flying Saucer. I will fight to get dogs allowed there, and it's great to know that their management agrees with me.

As for what you can do... voice your opinion. The complainers are loud (especially the ones who complain about things that don't affect them), you can be louder. This city has a small but vocal dog-loving community. We just got Hardberger Dog Park, with another coming to Alamo Heights soon. Don't let stupid rules like the restaurant ban happen quietly. Call your representative and let them know how you feel.

There are still a few places that allow dogs. Message me if you want to know them.

Old 08-03-2010, 05:02 PM

220 posts, read 680,779 times
I attended an organized dog walk on the river at Pearl where the restaurant has an adjacent off premise grassy area. The dogs and owners are welcome to relax and take their meal and drinks in that area. Seems like a good option.

We've attended numerous organized dog activities after which restaurants have welcomed us and our well socialized dogs to cool down, drink and eat.

Old 08-03-2010, 07:21 PM

Can you hook me up with this dog walk info, lsdude?

Old 08-04-2010, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeet09 View Post
Can you hook me up with this dog walk info, lsdude?
I'm guessing it is this group:
The San Antonio Nature Hounds (San Antonio, TX) - Meetup.com

If not, lsdude, please share.

Dogs are also welcome at the Pearl Brewery farmers market (Saturday mornings).

Old 08-04-2010, 07:23 AM

Thanks ItsTheTruth!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio