U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 02:50 PM

88 posts, read 270,029 times

Advertisements

My 13 year old pekingese health has declined drastically in the last month. Before she would just sleep all the time. Now she has stopped eating and has lost a ton of weight. She pants all the time and her breathing is weird. This is so hard because we have had since she was 8 weeks old and longer than we have had our kids(my oldest is 8). We called our vet to dicuss putting her down, but right now we just don't have the extra money to cover all the costs. Anyone else been through this before? What did you do? What other options do we have?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 03:05 PM

1,933 posts, read 3,234,050 times
I believe this belongs in the Pet forum under dogs. But as a pet owner and one who loves my pets as much as any other, I would seriously consider speaking with another vet for some other options or even your local ASPCA. It is hard to let go of a beloved pet who is considered a family member and my heart goes out to you.

Old 08-04-2010, 03:07 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,814 posts, read 33,124,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOriginalMrsX View Post
I believe this belongs in the Pet forum under dogs.

We'll leave it here so that the OP can learn about options in the San Antonio area.

Old 08-04-2010, 03:12 PM

88 posts, read 270,029 times
Thanks, Bowie. I posted here because I wanted local information versus general info.

Old 08-04-2010, 03:12 PM

6,138 posts, read 8,596,618 times
Does your vet not have a payment plan option? That's terrible to have to put off letting your pet die peacefully just because you don't have the money (while I understand it). I'm sure you're not the first person to come into their practice hoping for the best but realizing they don't have the money...they shouldhave some type of payment plan available.

Old 08-04-2010, 03:24 PM

5,142 posts, read 11,445,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA DIVA View Post
I posted here because I wanted local information versus general info.
Thanks for clarifying; I wasn't sure at first!
Funeral Home San Antonio | Cremation San Antonio - Maybe they have some local resources for you or know local vets that can help.
I'm a pet parent too and I send you hugs at this time!

Old 08-04-2010, 04:37 PM

3,929 posts, read 4,685,796 times
I'm sorry about your beloved pet. Did you explain about your finances when you talked to them? Surely they could work with you on this! If not, another vet might be able to do it. I don't remember it being very expensive the last time that we had to put one of our kitties down.

Old 08-04-2010, 04:43 PM

1,365 posts, read 3,968,553 times
I don't know who your vet is but try calling Affordable Pet Care... We have been using them for years and they really are affordable... Maybe explain your situation and they may be able to work with you... Good Luck to you... I remember when we lost our 12yr old Mini Schnauzer, it was so very hard, she was also older than our kids and we also had her from 8weeks...

Old 08-04-2010, 04:43 PM
RGJ

1,902 posts, read 4,014,413 times
I can't imagine a vet allowing an older dog to continue to suffer. Even though he has a business to run. What's the cost anyway? If he doesn't charge you for this, is it really going to affect his bottom line? I think you should have a personal and private conversation with the vet and not his staff. Most people become a vet because they care about pets and animals. Offer to mow his lawn or pet sit sometime.

Old 08-04-2010, 05:01 PM

229 posts, read 587,142 times
Try Blue Cross pet clinic on St. Cloud, I have taken my pets there for years. And, even though they are in a small old building, I feel like I have always gotten good care there at a very reasonable price (or been referred to an animal hospital more equipped to handle the health problems of my dogs in one case). I've never had a pet put down there however, so I can't say how much they would charge, but all other care had been relatively cheap. Also, one thing I do know, is that the bigger the dog the more it costs to put down. Good luck, I've had to put down 2 dogs in the past 5 years and it was horrible both times. I feel for you and your family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio