U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 09:52 AM

27 posts, read 37,205 times

Advertisements

Understanding that mail carriers have huge routes - and those increase each time USPS finds itself scrambling for ways to improve their bottom line - I still have to agree that mail service, overall, seems to be getting worse.

I also live on the northeast side (served by the Serna branch), and had a serious problem about a year ago: the employee who delivered mail on my route had taken it upon herself to send all of my mail back to the station - AND put a "vacant" notice in my mailbox - since I hadn't picked up my mail in a week or two!! Needless to say, I was able to get that issue straight - but my current carrier isn't leaving package notices for me when he takes my parcels to the office.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2010, 12:33 PM

3,141 posts, read 5,161,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalizedTexan View Post
Understanding that mail carriers have huge routes - and those increase each time USPS finds itself scrambling for ways to improve their bottom line - I still have to agree that mail service, overall, seems to be getting worse.
That might explain why mail delivery on my street, which years ago was about 10 AM, now typically is delivered around 3-4 PM, and sometimes after 5 PM.

My street has curbside boxes serviced by motor carrier, but most streets in my area have door-to-door mailboxes with delivery on foot. I've seen the same carrier that often delivers on my street delivering mail earlier in the day on foot to streets several blocks away. I think they must save the curbside delivery streets for last.

Another thing I've noticed over the past couple of years is a steep decline in the volume of mail delivered to me on Saturdays. In fact, I don't think I receive any mail at all on at least half the Saturdays in a given year now. Mondays tend to be heavy, though. Maybe the PO is gearing up for the eventual elimination of Saturday delivery?

Old 08-08-2010, 12:43 PM

27 posts, read 37,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
That might explain why mail delivery on my street, which years ago was about 10 AM, now typically is delivered around 3-4 PM, and sometimes after 5 PM.

My street has curbside boxes serviced by motor carrier, but most streets in my area have door-to-door mailboxes with delivery on foot. I've seen the same carrier that often delivers on my street delivering mail earlier in the day on foot to streets several blocks away. I think they must save the curbside delivery streets for last.

Another thing I've noticed over the past couple of years is a steep decline in the volume of mail delivered to me on Saturdays. In fact, I don't think I receive any mail at all on at least half the Saturdays in a given year now. Mondays tend to be heavy, though. Maybe the PO is gearing up for the eventual elimination of Saturday delivery?
Yes, for better or worse, I think we can safely surmise that actual station hours of operation will shrink, and that Saturday deliveries will, eventually, cease.

The only thing I can foresee NOT shrinking are postage rates!!

Old 08-08-2010, 03:58 PM

3,929 posts, read 4,687,049 times
Hmm...they got after us for not picking up our USPS P.O. box mail often enough. The implied threat was, if we didn't pick it up more often, we'd be forced to pay more for a bigger box. If it came to that....we'd give up on having a P.O. box. It's ridiculous! Just because we didn't pick up for two weeks. We live out in the country...not close to our designated post office...there's not many choices there. We have community boxes out here for our regular delivery.

Old 08-08-2010, 10:42 PM

4,081 posts, read 6,085,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlelu View Post
Makes me think of the postman that had not been delivering packages and instead had them all in a storage unit...for himself. Check and see if your neighbors are having the same problem and have the P. Ofc do some research!
Unless you have absolute proof refrain from making false accusations.....

Old 08-09-2010, 07:18 AM

5,142 posts, read 11,447,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Forest View Post
Unless you have absolute proof refrain from making false accusations.....
There's this story and many more when doing a google search Postal worker is indicted for allegedly stealing mail (http://www.wkyt.com/wymtnews/headlines/99578384.html - broken link)
The biggest hits were carriers stealing Netflix movies! oyy!

Old 08-09-2010, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeet09 View Post
There's this story and many more when doing a google search Postal worker is indicted for allegedly stealing mail (http://www.wkyt.com/wymtnews/headlines/99578384.html - broken link)
The biggest hits were carriers stealing Netflix movies! oyy!
Yeah, everything on the internet is true.

Old 08-10-2010, 07:49 AM

6,257 posts, read 8,990,051 times
Quote:
.....an' heaven knows if ONE person is doing it, they ALL are!

Had a good friend that retired as a carrier - he HATED the thieving carriers because it made 'em ALL look bad. Same happens with cops, teachers, etc.

Old 08-10-2010, 07:59 AM

5,142 posts, read 11,447,288 times
Quote:
The article was from a news station in another city, a bit more credible than a blog, message board, etc.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:52 PM

A lot of this stuff happens because most of the supervisors can't put 2 & 2 together like a large amount of calls reporting missing mail...true !!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio