U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 08:36 PM

2,039 posts, read 4,890,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Did ya at least get a free car wash out of the deal?!?
No but they cleaned my windows......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2010, 09:26 PM

15,062 posts, read 19,619,150 times
I just changed the oil on my cars for the 1st time and it was really easy.
If you are going to do it, I highly recommend you buying the ramps, it's a lot safer than using a jack.

It was very easy, but very different between the 2 cars.
One, I could have changed the filter without lifting the car because it was close to the bumper.
The other one... holy s..., I think it's about 12" under the windshield wipers.

The rest, is pretty simple.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:58 PM

5,615 posts, read 12,788,192 times
Cool. I'm back to changing the oil myself on the wife's car because the drain plug was cross threaded last time she took it somewhere. We got lucky and it was repairable; if it's not the cost comes out to years of the difference between oil changes at the Volvo dealer vs. 3rd party places.

My Toyota goes to the dealership (Red McCombs / I-10) because they have a really good deal there and do it right.

Old 08-09-2010, 11:00 PM

1,805 posts, read 2,182,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
Cool. I'm back to changing the oil myself on the wife's car because the drain plug was cross threaded last time she took it somewhere. We got lucky and it was repairable; if it's not the cost comes out to years of the difference between oil changes at the Volvo dealer vs. 3rd party places.

My Toyota goes to the dealership (Red McCombs / I-10) because they have a really good deal there and do it right.
hm. i own a volvo also and my drain isnt cross-threaded.

shrug.

volvos are remarkably easy to work on yourself. oil change takes me all of 15 mins on my volvo.

Old 08-09-2010, 11:17 PM

37,683 posts, read 55,343,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingSAT View Post
It was not synthetic. He said that would be over 70.00. It was the cheapest they had. I am older and do not want to be changing oil. With that said, any suggestions on where to get it done cheap?

Some places used to have ladies day but I have not seen that lately.
OP is a lady and does not want to change oil herself.

For my Honda Accord I pay $48 for full synthetic oil change (Mobil1) with filter, and 21 points car check. Price include oil disposal and tax.
I think they charge $<30 for regular oil. Great service. Going there the last 15+ years. They also fix cars, certified service.

Old 08-10-2010, 01:06 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,329,729 times
It's rare that a dealership can beat (or even wants to beat) the price of an oil change rate at an independent spot. I've been going to Express Lube for years, as they're one of the few places out there that offers Royal Purple oil and for $60/pop, I drive away happy.

Keep in mind that with Royal Purple you can go 6k miles and it's a full synthetic. Rated better than Amsoil for those who are oil freaks like myself.

BN

Old 08-10-2010, 05:59 AM

872 posts, read 1,632,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
If you are going to do it, I highly recommend you buying the ramps, it's a lot safer than using a jack.
Or just get a truck instead of a car. This is Texas afterall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
OP is a lady and does not want to change oil herself.
What ever happened to equalism amongst the sexes?

Old 08-10-2010, 07:13 AM

5,615 posts, read 12,788,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterCat View Post
hm. i own a volvo also and my drain isnt cross-threaded.

shrug.

volvos are remarkably easy to work on yourself. oil change takes me all of 15 mins on my volvo.
Hers wasn't either until this spring. The place that did it is near West Ave and Blanco Rd. They're easy to work on, except when they're not and then you're in a world of hurt. Like the speedometer sending unit - it's just bolted on... except to access it you have to disassemble a good part of the rear suspension.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminNicholas View Post
It's rare that a dealership can beat (or even wants to beat) the price of an oil change rate at an independent spot.
I think the Toyota dealership does it to get people in the door. I've had fun walking around for a bit while waiting, and had to remind myself that my car just has 60K miles and it's nowhere near time for a new one.

Old 08-10-2010, 07:32 AM

5,142 posts, read 11,442,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wc2005 View Post
What ever happened to equalism amongst the sexes?
Agree!
I'm a female and I change my oil. My dad (teacher of DIY auto maintenance and repair) is 70 and still changes oil in his car. I have the ramps and they're awesome! It helps that the oil filter is in a accessible spot, some cars, it's like a needle in a haystack!
When I lived in a apartment, I would take it to get the oil changed at the dealership because the first few times were freebies when buying the car and did a good job so I kept taking it there for $40. Too scared to try lower priced places and get my bolt messed up or who knows what else! Now that I have a home and space (woot!), I can change it at home!

Old 08-10-2010, 07:33 AM

6,256 posts, read 8,983,551 times
It's not hard - if you know what you're doing. Not hard to learn, either - but there are some folks out there that shouldn't be allowed near a wrench....and for those, info like this is good, because it lets them get a good deal!
I *can* change my own, but for 45-50 bucks I don't worry about making a mess in my driveway, or having to run the oil down to get rid of it @ the auto parts. I know - when I was younger, I'd make fun of folks that'd take theirs in to get serviced - now that I'm finally blessed with a decent income, I get to pick what I save money on....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio