U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 09:40 AM

8,400 posts, read 20,185,729 times

Advertisements

Just FYI for parents of NISD students...

Quote:
On Monday, 9 August, NISD launched its "School Messenger," an emergency notification system that calls parents of Northside School District's 95,000 students instantly when needed.

The phone call will announce the new emergency notification system. If the school does not contact a parent, it lacks a phone number.

Parents or guardians must contact the school to update their records.

Parents who do get a phone call need to do nothing but answer the call.

A list of schools and phone numbers is available on NISD's website. (Source)
So expect a call from the system, and answer it; and if you don't get one, contact your child's school.

Cheers! M2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2010, 09:54 AM

Actually, the information at NISD's link is clearer...

Quote:
Northside ISD is launching a new notification system called School Messenger this month that will communicate directly with its 94,000+ students and their parents as well as 13,000 employees quickly via a phone call.

The system will allow the schools and District to send important information (as well as Emergency Notices) to parents and employees via phone and eventually, in Phase II, via email and text messaging.

"We are excited by this opportunity to enhance communication between schools and our parents," says Brian Woods, Deputy Superintendent for Administration. "This system will enable us to provide timely and accurate news and information, as well as emergency notification, both from the schools and District."

Initially, all Northside campuses will use the system to call the primary phone number that the school has for the family to report absences or to provide general information. Therefore, it is critical that the phone number be accurate and current. The schools are in the process of confirming phone numbers now.

Later in the school year, parents will be able to log into the School Messenger website to manage their contact information, which will include adding e-mail and text-enabled devices, as well as adding additional phone numbers to be called by the system.

If some parents feel that the phone number on record at their schools may not be accurate, they are encouraged to contact their school's attendance secretary.

A list of schools and phone numbers is available on the district's web site.

School Messenger is another communication tool that will be utilized in addition to traditional email, phone calls, and Parent Connection. Parents and other interested citizens may also follow Northside ISD on Twitter, and become a Friend of Northside to receive regular newsletters and announcements, school board reports, as well as emergency notices.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:56 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,828 posts, read 33,250,561 times
North East ISD has had a system like this for a few years. Before they did notifications by email, it was cool and helpful. Now it feels redundant, and a little annoying, since it gives less information than the email notifications do.

Old 08-09-2010, 10:04 AM

2,216 posts, read 3,998,589 times
just got my call. we had this service in GA. I think it's great for notifying parents when a child (middle/high school age) has missed a class. Kinda avoids the whole kid being able to get away with skipping scenario. The parent learns it that day.

Old 08-09-2010, 10:07 AM

6,878 posts, read 18,234,699 times
Got our call. Not everyone has email or can check it all the time (especially grandparents who are guardians), but pretty much everyone has a phone...

Old 08-09-2010, 01:07 PM

151 posts, read 261,533 times
JISD has this and we love it.

Old 08-09-2010, 05:56 PM

242 posts, read 595,039 times
Hubby said we got our call earlier today. Only thing is, our daughter graduated in June. They said to ignore the call if that was the case, but couldn't they have seen that we were out of the district when they accessed the number?

Old 08-09-2010, 07:03 PM

NISD already had "Parent Connection" where we could check up on our kids. I think this is some redundancy in the system, which is never a bad thing...

Old 08-09-2010, 10:20 PM

2,216 posts, read 3,998,589 times
you would be surprised how many parents do not use it or use the pay online for lunches. They send in notes all the time asking "how much money do I have left" so for that reason I think the calls are a good thing. The calls should go out that day for absences too. Let's say a 10th grader skips with his buddy and mom doesnt check the portal til a week or more after the fact....

Old 08-10-2010, 10:12 AM

151 posts, read 261,533 times
I LOVE the pay online for lunches! I get emails when the balance is below a certain point, when my son has an overdue library book and when his grades fall below a 90. I like to think of it as cyberstalking my kid when I'm not around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio