U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 08-13-2010, 07:52 PM

9,731 posts, read 8,443,466 times
Default San Antonio to Rockport (not on I-37)

I'm thinking about visiting Rockport, TX.
Since I live on the NE side of San Antonio, I was thinking about not taking I-37 and taking another route to get to Rockport.

Have any of you guys done it?
Any recommendations?
Any good place for small kids to stop and do something?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 08-13-2010, 08:52 PM

768 posts, read 720,867 times
Default Rockport

Before they built 37, we went down 181 all the way to Sinton, then took 188 all the way to 35, take a left, then Rockport is a few miles down. Don't really know of any fun things for the kiddos to do on the way, but at least you go thru several small towns that you can stop and stretch your legs, potty break, etc. Have fun on Rockport beach....perfect for kids!

Unread 08-13-2010, 08:52 PM

8,223 posts, read 11,554,421 times
Take 181 south, it takes about the same time (3 hrs) as IH-37 but you are on back roads and go through Floresville, Karnes City, Kenedy, Beeville, etc.

I much prefer back roads, and usually take 281 north instead of IH-35 to get to Austin, even though it adds miles/time onto the trip.

Have fun!

Cheers! M2

Unread 08-15-2010, 09:12 PM

1,336 posts, read 1,072,909 times
Default 181 south to Rockport,

I have been that route many times since childhood- before freeways
that is. My family was from Beeville a long, long time ago. Here is a little bit south Texas history...
The killing of a Karnes County sheriff in 1901 precipitated one of the largest manhunts in U.S. history, eluding a total of 300 men in pursuit, the murder suspect made his way to Laredo by horseback and on foot.
Kenedy and Nixon named were named after locals.
Beeville at one time had quite a few feral camels roaming the countryside
at will after having been brought in as beasts of burden in the nineteenth century. The wild camels were eventually exterminated as horses would panic at the sight of one causing buggy wrecks and even stampedes for wranglers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I'm thinking about visiting Rockport, TX.
Since I live on the NE side of San Antonio, I was thinking about not taking I-37 and taking another route to get to Rockport.

Have any of you guys done it?
Any recommendations?
Any good place for small kids to stop and do something?
Thanks

Unread 08-21-2010, 11:46 PM

3,036 posts, read 3,910,417 times
I took I-37 today and exited at 188. nice ride through the country and Stinson

Unread 08-22-2010, 12:06 AM

95,466 posts, read 21,607,614 times
I prefer 181S . We've always used it and gone through Floresville, Poth, Kenedy, eat at Barth's in Karnes City. There's also a good shop in Karnes for Jerky and smoked meats etc. If in a hurry we take I-37. My brother lives in Rockport. BTW, it's Sinton not Stinson.

Unread 08-22-2010, 10:14 AM

9,731 posts, read 8,443,466 times
Since I live in NE San Antonio, I decided to drive .... pretty much South by the Guadalupe river (Seguin, Gonzales, Cuero, Victoria, Rockport).
The drive was very nice, and it reminded a lot of Missouri because of all the trees.
Just be careful driving from Victoria to Rockport, I don't remember seeing a single gas station between Tivoli, TX and Fulton, TX (30 miles)

Unread 08-23-2010, 02:39 PM

1,286 posts, read 1,647,543 times
I'm also a fan of 181. Lots of neat old buildings and towns along the way.

Unread 08-23-2010, 03:15 PM

1,336 posts, read 1,072,909 times
Default Karnes City Smokehouse.

When I was a little kid, which was some time back I might add with a little regret, I think I can remember the place you mentioned for smoked meats in Karnes City. It was called Karnes City Smokehouse on the east side of 181
just past Karnes City headed south. I remember a small wood framed building
with a purposely built crooked stovepipe coming out of the roof of the place.
I don't think it is called the Smokehouse anymore. Or is it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
I prefer 181S . We've always used it and gone through Floresville, Poth, Kenedy, eat at Barth's in Karnes City. There's also a good shop in Karnes for Jerky and smoked meats etc. If in a hurry we take I-37. My brother lives in Rockport. BTW, it's Sinton not Stinson.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio