U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2010, 08:23 PM

1,668 posts, read 3,363,474 times

Advertisements

We have decided to sell our home and I have several questions I hope you can answer. Sorry for may extreme lack of knowledge but it has been 10 1/2 plus years since we did this. At that time the Salesman at Centex suggested someone who sold the house within weeks but times were better back then.

1. How are you assured that you have selected the right person to work for you?

2. Is negotiating a commission a good thing or is that even possible? If you do agree to a lower commission would we get what we paid for????

3. Are you better off selecting a Realtor who sells or has homes for sale in your community. No one would know it better right ?????

4. Probably the most important is .... How do you know if the selected sale price is not too high or too low. The best answer to that question would be the number of showings, I guess. Is there a "rule of thumb" when it comes to pricing your home such as the Bexar Appraisal District's information? Do we select the price or allow the Realtor after he /she has done the research?

If you have any suggestions for a GREAT Realtor please let me know. Again I'm sorry for my lack of knowledge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 08:52 PM

872 posts, read 1,638,270 times
Allow me to recommend two people for you to talk to...knowing your neighborhood.

Cliff Carey - sells a lot of homes in this neighborhood; I've heard he prices low but I've heard other disagree with that. Talked to several happy sellers as he seems to be able to move the home quickly.

Michelle Lawton - Great personality; used to sell a lot in this neighborhood but I'm not sure how much she currently sells here.

Either way, I think I'd be comfortable approaching either of these two for this neighborhood.

Old 08-18-2010, 10:13 PM

6,276 posts, read 9,043,381 times
A realtor that actively SELLS in your neighborhood is what you want - not the one that lists the most. Some only go for listings, relying on the selling fees for their income. The ones that are SELLING are the ones that are really going out, killing it and bringing it home. THAT is the person you want selling yours - because the odds are that they KNOW the competition you're up against, and what the price points are. I don't negotiate the commission UNLESS the listing agent on my house is also going to be the one working on the purchase of my new home - THEN I'll negotiate for a 4.5-5% total commission fee on the sale of my home. The seller of the home I'm going to be buying will be paying THAT commission, so I don't care - even on the sale of a new home, they get paid by the builder, so no biggie - and THAT is what gives them the incentive to list yours at a lower fee. Ask yourself one thing as you think about the fee negotiation - if you had two jobs, one of which paid you less than the other, which one would YOU want to work more hours for?

The BAD valuation of your home has NO - ZERO - NADA bearing on the market value of your home. That's what they THINK your home is worth - and it's generally based on a guess by someone making less than 10-12 bucks an hour..... Your realtor will have insight on what the homes are appraising for by an independent, PROFESSIONAL appraiser - and THAT is the number that will matter. Lots of agents will purposely shoot you a "highball" number to get your listing ("I can get you a million bucks for this 1200 sq ft home, sir - even with the bad roof!") because the odds are that as your home languishes on the market, they'll talk you into lowering the price to a more realistic number - and they've still got your listing. So as you talk to agents, listen to those that SELL in the area, and go with your gut. You likely have a good idea of what homes in your area are going for - be realistic (and pragmatic) in comparing them against yours, and you'll have a pretty good idea as to what to expect. Anyone coming in with high numbers, know that they're doing it to get the listing - go with the one closest to what your own research tells you you can REASONABLY expect.
Basically, it comes down to a guesstimate. Just remember that the longer the home sits on the market, the harder it becomes to sell, because my experience has been that if it's properly priced, it'll go within 30-60 days if there's ANY reasonable levels of sales in your area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio