U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 02:39 PM

10 posts, read 26,227 times

Advertisements

Hello all :P

I currently live in the UK and I will be moving to SA mid-august to coach kids football...soccer to you i imagine.

Anyway, I have a few questions that I hope some of you can help me with;

Mobile/Cell Phone
Over here these are as important as your wallet! The UK seems to be in some cell phone culture right now. How much will I expect to pay for some sort of sim card and network usage over there?

Health
I have asthma, how easy is it to obtain medication/inhalers over there?? At home I have to make visits to a doctor to get one.

Keeping in touch
How much does a Wireless internet connection cost? I heard that some parts of SA has WiFi.

Nightlife
As some of you know, here in the UK we have a very big 'weekend' culture where everyone goes out at the weekend and enjoys a few too many ales. how does that compare to SA?

Thats about it so far! lol I am so so so looking forward to coming over. I cant wait to escape the almost constant rain we seem to be having over here

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2007, 02:51 PM

13,807 posts, read 26,347,503 times
Welcome to SA (in advance)!
cell phones are very much a part of life here also and very cheap. you can easily get a plan with plenty of minutes for $40. unfortunately it's legal to drive and talk on the phone here, but I wish it wasn't. this city has more than its share of awful drivers and the ones on phones are deadly. completely ignorant to anything around them and they probably never understand why I'm honking at them and giving them the one finger salute...
there aren't many places with this many hospitals and there are more being built. this would be an excellent place to live with any medical condition and asthma wouldn't be a problem.
I wish there was more WiFi here, but this is a low tech city. you can find it at some hotels, coffee shops, book stores etc, but nothing like muni wifi. I could only wish. you can get wireless broadband using your cell phone carrier for something like $60/month and there are always package deals. just make sure you get a carrier that does 3G, they're WAY faster than the older 2G. I have Sprint and they're Very fast..
for the last part, I'm married and don't drink much at all, but judging by the amount of drunk drivers here, I'm sure it's very easy to find a place to drink.. just be careful after 10:00 PM. It's pretty safe to assume that nearly everyone out on the road is drunk at that time (another peeve of mine).

we've actually been getting above average rain here, but don't worry, you'll be more worried about that HEAT

Old 06-26-2007, 04:11 PM

lol - We drink over here to be social, its just what most people do on a saturday night. I think the world labels us brits as drunks or something when we are sooo sooo not.

Old 06-27-2007, 03:45 AM

20 posts, read 55,624 times
I would also like to welcome you to San Antonio, Reynolds1979...I have moved all over, as my parents were in the military, and I came to San Antonio in '96. Great City. Some of my best friends play basketball overseas, and they have to get a new chip once they hit the states...Congrats on the coaching job that awaits, I was wondering if you have heard of SidelineSports Video Analyzer, and Player Profiler, its a computer software that is customized to your specific coaching program...The night life is pretty good and getting better, as the city grows, and we are located between Austin 1hr. north(party city) and Houston 2.5 hr. east...I hope Im not being to forward, but have you purchased a home in San Antonio yet?

Old 06-27-2007, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reynolds1979 View Post
lol - We drink over here to be social, its just what most people do on a saturday night. I think the world labels us brits as drunks or something when we are sooo sooo not.
didn't mean to insinuate that Brits were all drunks at all.. I was just stating that it seems the majority of San Antonio residents on the road after 10:00 PM are all drunk. It's very dangerous driving and very annoying.
I personally try to drive them off the road and I wish the police did a better job of pulling them all over. drunk driving is pure stupidity and usually always hurts everyone but the stupid drunk that's driving..

insert end rant smiley here

Old 06-27-2007, 04:49 AM

20 posts, read 55,624 times
I understand what you mean...rd2007, be safe!!

Old 06-27-2007, 10:55 AM

I am going to stay with a friend for the time being but I might purchase a home sometime in the future.

We are quite strict over here with drink drivers, the police often randomly stop cars driving at night time on weekend even if they are driving perfectly fine.

What is public transport like in SA? I am considering learning to drive over there (i had no need to drive here) and wondered how to go about it and how much time it might consume.

Thank you very much for all the replies so far.

Old 06-27-2007, 12:26 PM

1,222 posts, read 4,194,762 times
Hello
I am from the Uk too !!!!
Loads of good places to go out there are several "Pubs" Lion and the Rose is one of them also Mad Dog.
Learning to drive here is a easy I took my driving test in Florida 5 minutes in a car park !!! nothing like England. I did drive in the UK.
Weather here is wonderful people are really friendly.
Where will you be coaching football ?
Good luck

Old 06-27-2007, 12:59 PM

5 minutes in a car park? mint! - lol

I should be working for worldwidesoccer in SA, a very good friend of mine set it up a few years ago and I've been asked to come over and coach some football. I've had a really busy last few months over here actually, getting all my qualifications, police checks, first aid, child protection, loads of work and persnal references ! the list goes on! applying for the visa alone has taken me all this time. - Going to be worthwhile in the end i hope

Old 06-27-2007, 01:15 PM

wish we had good public transportation, but there's basically a bus system that doesn't go anywhere I live or work...
I'd kill to be able to do the NYC thing and never have to drive again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio