Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 06:09 AM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,731,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
I got caught here on a Saturday morning going north and it was the most horrible thing ever.

To make it worse we were on the left lane and could have zoomed pretty far on it to merge (there is no rule to say we have to merge beforehand) and out of no where some dumb trucker got in our way, they moved from the lane right of the far left one onto the far left lane we were on.

They were in the fast lane blocking it for a vast distance not allowing anyone to proceed ahead and zoom in. It was very annoying. What was even worse was they seemed to be pacing another 18-wheeler on the next lane as if they were friends or something. In either case holding up the left lane, the fast lane, even if it has to merge, was totally uncalled for.

Had to fight our way to the 410 exit, take Perrin Beitel north, right on Wurzbach Parkway, all the way until it turns into O'Connor, then finally back on I-35 North. It was smooth sailing but we lost at least 40 minutes for what should have took less than 5 minutes or so.

On a Saturday morning!!! I should have stayed home and watched cartoons instead.
so you're one of those that know they have to merge sooner or later and decide you don't have to wait like everyone else. There is no law or "rule" against it, but it certainly is wrong. IMHO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 08:12 AM

9,848 posts, read 13,687,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffy888 View Post
I've taken 78 around it, but not to Walzem - I live in Live Oak, so I take 78 all the way to near Judson HS... Probably not much more practical than sitting in that ridiculous mess, but it's much less stressful and at least feels as if I am accomplishing something!

I'd love to give you a good route suggestion, but I don't know if there is one. Sometimes I pull out the GPS, take an exit or road that seems possible, and just go with it.

I'm going to try it someday..soon! Going all the way up there would be out of the way, but I see how it would be helpful for you. The thing is, going south is a breeze, it's coming back up that is horrible. It's just so weird. One day, maybe 100 years from now it will be fixed...hopefully.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:23 AM

993 posts, read 2,490,143 times
Default 35S to 410 West

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
I'm going to try it someday..soon! Going all the way up there would be out of the way, but I see how it would be helpful for you. The thing is, going south is a breeze, it's coming back up that is horrible. It's just so weird. One day, maybe 100 years from now it will be fixed...hopefully.
Yeah coming home from Austin on Sunday Afternoon, got on 35 South to 410 West was easy. Never been on that ramp before, and 410 West is finally paved and for now has a smooth driving surface. Is the right turn yield from loop 410 west frontage road onto Perrin Beitel decent yet?

Old 08-25-2010, 09:56 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,854,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
By Ft. Sam
Thanks.

I thought it was the one by Windcrest. I was there yesterday and didn't find anything unusual. But like someone mentioned, getting from 410 to 35N at that point is a pretty harrowing adventure in itself, if you are not a professional race car driver.

Old 08-25-2010, 10:02 AM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,731,735 times
I think the intersection in question is the one where you are headed north from 410 to IH35N south of Rittiman and the HEB warehouse. It goes from two lanes to one lane before entering IH35. Lots of traffic and 18 wheelers. And you can always see tracks on the median where people get off and go to Rittiman. The police have always had fun with this one

Old 08-25-2010, 10:07 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,854,254 times
The other one I was thinking of is also 410N/I35N, but it turns into 410W after that point. (The race car part is merging from 410E to 35N.)

Old 08-25-2010, 11:23 AM

9,848 posts, read 13,687,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newk View Post
Yeah coming home from Austin on Sunday Afternoon, got on 35 South to 410 West was easy. Never been on that ramp before, and 410 West is finally paved and for now has a smooth driving surface. Is the right turn yield from loop 410 west frontage road onto Perrin Beitel decent yet?
The frontage roads have been paved so they aren't like being on a roller coaster, but the turn onto Perrin Beitel is still a pain. Today the have the turn onto west bound 410 shut down to work on stuff. And the worst part of the whole mess at the moment at that intersection is the left turn signal...you can get two-three cars through. Ugh!

Old 08-25-2010, 11:25 AM

18,125 posts, read 25,266,042 times
One of the biggest problems in SA is bad signage of the roads.

I've never been in a city with so many places where the lane ends and there's absolutely no sign to let you know about it.
In many other places, there's one sign, when there should be at least 3 of them to let people know early enough.

Old 08-27-2010, 05:25 PM

1,314 posts, read 3,176,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I've never been in a city with so many places where the lane ends and there's absolutely no sign to let you know about it.
Name some and I'll report them and get the signs installed.

Quote:
In many other places, there's one sign, when there should be at least 3 of them to let people know early enough.
The federal Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices governs the design and placement of signs. It only requires one sign when a lane ends; a second sign is optional. After all, there typically is only one warning sign ahead of a curve, intersection, traffic sign, stop sign, etc. Besides, people don't pay attention to signs anyway.

Old 08-27-2010, 06:34 PM

1,314 posts, read 3,176,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Last I heard, though, was that the 10 contruction had no funding. I'm sure TxHwyMan has the scoop though.
That's correct, although it's on the "plan B" list for several funding options. In other words, if projects funded by those programs (Prop 12, Prop 14, or stimulus) fall-through, it's in line to possibly get that funding.

In any case, that project won't make any changes to the I-10/Loop 1604 interchange. The environmental impact statement for Loop 1604 is looking at various options there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio