Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 09:00 AM

2,744 posts, read 6,110,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTheTruth View Post
I'll use factual census numbers (not Money magazine readers), thanks.

CNN/ money uses factual data? get over it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2010, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector28 View Post
It's gonna' sound like a really good idea right after I smoke a bowl of that stuff that bulldawg has!

Yea your going to need it!

Old 09-03-2010, 09:26 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,105,348 times
Some reminders from the TOS appear to be needed in this thread.

Quote:
Be civil, no personal attacks, flaming, or insults. We may attack ideas (politely) but we do not attack the speaker of the idea. Be careful with your words, there is a point where being direct crosses a line into blunt, in-your-face hostility. Please, report bad posts instead of engaging in flame wars on the boards. Insulting another member or a moderator will not be tolerated anywhere on this website. This includes Direct Messages and Reputation Comments.

If you disagree with something, say so, but explain WHY.

Stay on topic. Attempts to hi-jack threads by switching topics or going off topic will be deleted and infractions issued. This is not a chat room - when people hi-jack threads by posting messages that are of interest to only few people, the threads often stop being useful discussions of initial topics.
In short, it's fine to disagree, but be civil and don't get personal with your disagreement. Also, make sure your reply has something to do with the thread topic.

Old 09-04-2010, 10:18 AM

262 posts, read 433,455 times
But what's interesting here, Juneof48, is that the things you list in your reply that you adore, and revel in, and that you want to stay the same, are somewhat at odds with your proud vision of San Antonio in ten years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneOf48 View Post
Wow. All of these recent replies remind me of the one thing I truly despise about San Antonio: that very vocal minority of people who constantly whine about how it isn't what they want it to be. If we could get rid of their attitude in the next decade--or somehow get them to toughen up a bit--this would be a great city, for sure. (This is not directed specifically at CD posters--I've met people with that mindset throughout the city.)

There's also a lot of latent racism and classism running through these posts. It's kind of sickening, but very familiar.

I don't need to write another long post about what I like about San Antonio. (I've done so many of those already.) But I should say that I would be very sad if a lot of this city DID NOT stay the same. In a word, people here are pretty damn "content" with their life. At the end of the day, that's not such a bad thing. You can call it being "backward" or "provincial." But many people would call it being "satisfied."

I actually move back and forth between San Antonio and Austin, and I wouldn't want the former to become the latter. People up there constantly complain, too. (Check out their forum and see how many people whine about how it's impossible to be single and over 30 in that city--another load of BS.)

I love independent music, great food, cutting edge art, countercultural politics, and philosophical conversation. I have them all here, in small but sufficient doses. I also like small-town friendliness, lack of pretension, and an actual "culture" that only comes from generations and generations of people living in the same city--and the same neighborhood--for a long, long time. It's fun to go out, listen to Norteño music with my neighbors, and knock down a Tecate or two. I love to walk over to the local Taquería Chapala Jalisco (or whatever its name is) and listen to the old guy play Mexican laments on his guitar while I chow down on a couple of egg and potato tacos for less than three dollars. And I'd hate to see Brackenridge Park on a Saturday afternoon without tons of families grilling and chatting while their kids bang away at piñatas. Hell, I even like seeing stray dogs running around. It reminds me of my time in South America.

Sorry, folks, but San Antonio is San Antonio. In large part, this is a mid-sized Latin American city, with the good and the bad. There are many similar to it in the world, but none in the U.S. I'd hate to see it become a carbon copy of some "cosmopolitan" hub in Illinois or California or New York. I'd even hate to see it become Austin. (By the way, with the housing down here as cheap as it is, it's pretty easy to maintain a place in both cities, which makes for quite a nice lifestyle, if I do say so myself. At the end of the day, though, my roots are here.)

Old 09-04-2010, 10:46 AM

262 posts, read 433,455 times
Ok back on topic: In ten years, the airport terminals will be painted bright orange to match Wonderland Mall--TO BRING IT UP TO DATE San Antonio style

Old 09-05-2010, 06:17 PM

1,220 posts, read 2,681,571 times
I think UTSA will grow into a nationally respected university. And downtown will be revamped and revitalized (which I hear is happening to Rivercenter mall, eventually??)

Old 09-05-2010, 07:19 PM

Quote:
From the comments in your link:

I hate to shatter your rosy view of San Antonio’s recycling program, but the Men’s Health website’s messed up. San Antonio was actually ranked 46th in both its overall ranking and in recycling practices, which is giving the city way more credit than it deserves. The actual recycling rate of the city is a whopping 4% (http://www.ci.la.ca.us/san/solid_resources/recycling/index.htm) (http://www.ci.la.ca.us/san/solid_resources/recycling/index.htm%29 - broken link), which is pathetic compared to pretty much anywhere else in the United States (except other areas in Texas). California’s major cities – Los Angeles (65%), San Diego (54.9%), San Francisco (69%), San Jose (60%) – all have recycling rates far, far above San Antonio’s.
I knew your Los Angeles source was dated(2007) info.

One of the largest plants of it's kind in North America.
Largest Recycling Facility in Texas Opens for Business in San Antonio - Business News - redOrbit

Since San Antonio's new recycling program was implemented, it's recycling efforts jumped 200%.
News Release - San Antonio ranks third in recycling

San Antonio earns national recognition for recycling - San Antonio Business Journal

2007 was 4% before the new plant and program.
San Antonio Current - Blogs

Old 09-05-2010, 07:56 PM

I don't know why some people think San Antonio is nonprogressive overall.

San Antonio Sewage: Go Green | The Budget Fashionista

The good people of are showing up their friends in Houston yet again with their new plan to utilize their citizen’s poop for cash and environmental gain. According to CNN, The San Antonio Water System is already sells some of the “biosolids” from the plant to use in compost in yards and gardens as well as making some money from their treated water. But they’re taking it one step further as they set up a system to capture the methane gas (up to 1.5 million cubic feet a day) and sell it to Massachusetts energy company, Ameresco. No word on if inspiration for this transaction came from their friends in Arizona with a bridgeto sell.
The very impressed chief operating officer at the water system, Stephen Clouse declared, “As far as we know, SAWS is the only city in the United States that has completed the renewable recyclable trifecta.” And the rest of the state has trouble sorting their recyclables! Way to go San Antonio, if we all took a page out of their resourceful book we could fix this whole ice cap melting/high gas prices/poison mercury levels in fish problem pronto!

Old 09-07-2010, 07:26 AM

413 posts, read 741,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
Since San Antonio's new recycling program was implemented, it's recycling efforts jumped 200%.
So it's up to 12% now? Wow.

Old 09-07-2010, 09:14 AM

Quote:
So it's up to 12% now? Wow.

It would be more like 16% but that increase was instantly, and going foward it has increased moreso. It is the recycling hub of Texas as it says in the links.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio