Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 07:07 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,993,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro72 View Post
Unfortunately, I think the city will not be much different in 10 years than what it is now if the mindset and attitude of the locals are not changing or unwilling to accept “progress” must happen.
If people are not accepting that progress must happen , then why do the school taxes (bond proposals) get passed every other year here? Doesn't that mean that people are interested in progress?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2010, 07:44 PM

18,125 posts, read 25,266,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillCountryHotRodMan View Post
I understand that. I goof around a lot on CD, but when I try to have a serious conversation about specific topics with almost anyone (away from the internet).... forget it.... so I just goof as a means of being adaptive.

I'm glad there are people here on CD who can carry a conversation about interesting topics.
Sorry for the off-topic...
to put it in very few words.... My senior project in college was a program that I wrote to tell you in what arrangement to connect solar cells to get the most power out of them. (You could say... I have this 1000 cells, I'm going to use 10 of them... program do your magic)

Now people might believe me when I say that I'm a nerd (but I'm good in sports)

Old 08-31-2010, 07:46 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,044,257 times
So do you think that San Antonio will come around and make something more of itself besides a place to eat and hang out?

Somebody mentioned the prevalence of nepotism in hiring practices. I have seen it first hand both in the private and public sector, and I have seen the outcome of it. Not too great, usually.

Old 08-31-2010, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
If people are not accepting that progress must happen , then why do the school taxes (bond proposals) get passed every other year here? Doesn't that mean that people are interested in progress?
A high school degree is not enough to get a job with NASA
Quote:
So do you think that San Antonio will come around and make something more of itself besides a place to eat and hang out?
Are you asking me, or "wehotex"?

Old 08-31-2010, 07:49 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,044,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
A high school degree is not enough to get a job with NASA

Are you asking me, or "wehotex"?
I'm asking you.

Old 08-31-2010, 07:56 PM

129 posts, read 335,107 times
Lat: 29.54 Lon: -98.47

Old 08-31-2010, 08:10 PM

Quote:
I'm asking you.
This is what I learned the last few years...

I went to a small college of 5000 people in a town of about 20000 in Missouri.
Recruiters (companies) would travel from as far as Dallas, Chicago, Cleveland and Nashville to try to hire one of the ... about ... 500 people that graduate from there every semester.
My grades were low (long story) and still, I had interviews with ABB, Garmin, American Airlines, and others that I don't remember.

Based on that... I'm a strong believer that companies like cities with a large pool of highly educated people (See Austin)
Companies don't like to spend 1000s and 1000s of dollars hiring people, training them and then finding out that those people don't know how to use a calculator.

So I believe that universities are the ones that lead the way to the future of a city.

Old 08-31-2010, 09:07 PM

2,155 posts, read 4,579,291 times
Which is why I think UTSA striving for Tier One status is a great thing. Many people say it won't happen, but you can't get anywhere if you don't even apply it and they are taking large steps.

Old 08-31-2010, 11:32 PM

2,744 posts, read 6,107,813 times
Quote:

Somebody mentioned the prevalence of nepotism in hiring practices. I have seen it first hand both in the private and public sector, and I have seen the outcome of it. Not too great, usually.

Not to be rude but are you living under a rock?

Place to eat and hang out? I'm assuming you are speaking of tourisim?

Tourisim is a $11 billion dollar economy in San Antonio and it is a top U.S. destination, however, tourisim is ranked 5th. Finance-Insurance, Healthcare-Biomedical, Dept of Defense, manufacturing, are all over $15 billion yearly industries in San Antonio.

Technology is another emerging economy.

It has more than a $8 billion dollar economy on the city. The city was just recently named the new cyber city of the U.S. with its national Cyber Security command companies.
San Antonio also has a robust Aerospace industry having 50 aerospace companies with a nearly $5 billion impact on the city.

Someone mentioned if Austin would want to asscociate itself with San Antonio? I think it would take a back seat in these industries other than Technology and is in San Antonio's rear view mirror.

Old 09-01-2010, 01:13 AM

4,287 posts, read 8,026,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by datacity View Post
Although I had been watching LOST and saw that an island can disappear, I think that in ten years, San Antonio will be right where it has always been... just a bit bigger.

Seriously, I think San Antonio can and will be better in ten years... in spite of continued challenges, and there will be plenty more added.

You can't get there unless you believe it. However, this positive change comes from the bottom up; so do your part, small or large and make a difference.

Hmmmm, maybe I should run for office. Nahhh!

What in the BLUE BALZAC IS WRONG WITH YOU!?!?!?! Why are you releasing spoilers?!?!?! ARRRRRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio