U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 12:04 PM

62 posts, read 93,007 times

Advertisements

Hi all -
I'm in a slight panic b/c part of a huge tree in our front yard just came down on my car. I have not gone outside to inspect it - no way I'm doing that - but it looks like it's still drive-able.

Any recommendations for a tree service that *might* come out today? It's my only car right now (husband away on business) and I have to get my daughter from daycare later this afternoon. I guess another option is to call a cab...

Anyway, any recs would be great. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2010, 12:06 PM

2,790 posts, read 5,183,783 times
I doubt anyone is going to be out and about in this mess right at this moment...

Old 09-07-2010, 12:08 PM

10,864 posts, read 11,932,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCNative24 View Post
Hi all -
I'm in a slight panic b/c part of a huge tree in our front yard just came down on my car. I have not gone outside to inspect it - no way I'm doing that - but it looks like it's still drive-able.

Any recommendations for a tree service that *might* come out today? It's my only car right now (husband away on business) and I have to get my daughter from daycare later this afternoon. I guess another option is to call a cab...

Anyway, any recs would be great. Thanks!!
I'd hold off and simply call a friend to have some one pickup your daughter from daycare. Not worth paying someone to come out in the middle of this and remove the tree. They will gouge the hell out of you.

You need to call your insurance carrier as well.

Old 09-07-2010, 12:11 PM

ok - thanks. I'm sure you're both right... As I mentioned, I'm in a slight panic.

Old 09-07-2010, 01:41 PM

1,881 posts, read 2,320,163 times
Be sure to take pics for the insurance company before you remove the tree... just to cover your hiney.

Old 09-07-2010, 03:38 PM

44 posts, read 193,351 times
In what area are you located?

Old 09-08-2010, 09:43 AM

Just wanted to thank you all for talking me down yesterday! Calling the insurance company was the right first step and they got the ball rolling with everything. We are really lucky - minimal damage to the house and it doesn't look like the car is totaled. Unfortunately we have to bid farewell to the old ash tree in our front yard (probably at least 60 years old according to the tree guy)... While the whole thing didn't come down in the storm, there's a rather large crack in the middle now so it's no longer safe to keep up. But as I said, we are really lucky. If the tree came down even 6 inches closer to the house, who knows what could have happened. So anyway, thanks to you all for your words of wisdom and reason!

Old 09-08-2010, 09:48 AM

4,149 posts, read 9,323,921 times
Your ash tree was 60!!!!????!! Though they're nice big trees, they're trash trees and usually 20 years is pushing their limit. Especially in a neighborhood with driveways, house slabs, etc. affecting their roots. Consider yourself lucky it came down where it did and not on the house.

Old 09-08-2010, 09:49 AM

2,790 posts, read 5,183,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
Your ash tree was 60!!!!????!! Though they're nice big trees, they're trash trees and usually 20 years is pushing their limit. Especially in a neighborhood with driveways, house slabs, etc. affecting their roots. Consider yourself lucky it came down where it did and not on the house.
Agreed. Mine was 16 and not doing much so I cut it down.

Old 09-08-2010, 09:52 AM

That's what he said - I was shocked. And trust me, I consider us very, very lucky. Apparently something happened to the tree years before and the old owners of the house (we just bought it a few months ago) *bolted* two large pieces of the tree together. Crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio