Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 05:23 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,875,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaGrace View Post
Have these colleagues BEEN to Monte Vista? Why in heaven's name would they think he had to make excuses for living in MV? It isn't like he's living in a crackhouse.
The following is part of an article found at mysa.com

Quote:
Interestingly, the design of my neighborhood, and its land use patterns, break all the rules that seem to govern the design and implementation of new neighborhoods today. The layout of the streets is a simple grid of rectangular blocks with all of its streets connecting to other larger streets that run through the city. There are a few breaks from the street grid that allow for natural features to be emphasized; a street bending around a large tree, or a diagonal curved street to make going up the hill less steep.

There are numerous postage-size green spaces formed by roundabouts. These roundabouts eliminate the need for stop signs, make traffic more efficient, and are great places for landscaping and art. There is enough variety in the architectural styles of the homes that one can describe where they live using more than just their mailing address.

Nestled within the neighborhood are apartments, schools, offices, restaurants, churches, a library, a university and a small neighborhood commercial/retail center. One can walk to most of these places within 10 minutes. The sidewalks are wide and set a few feet off of the curb, making walking a real pleasure.

Most importantly, the neighborhood is made up of a mix of people of different economic strata. There are tiny houses, mansions and everything in between. It's this diversity that adds richness to living here.

Because of the neighborhood's inner-city location and its higher density of residents per acre, it is served efficiently by mass transit. In addition, one can always experience a constant stream of people walking or riding their bikes in and through our neighborhood.

Because of the streets' interconnectivity with the rest of the city, outsiders are constantly driving through our neighborhood simply to get through to wherever they are going. Unlike the concern of many gated communities, we do not have a higher crime rate because of its openness to the public.

There are other neighborhoods in our city that have essentially the same attributes; King William, Mahncke Park, Monticello Park and Tobin Hill to name only a few. Certainly these neighborhoods are loved and protected by the city of San Antonio and its residents who work so hard to maintain their vitality.

A big concern however, is that the total population of all these neighborhoods is small compared to our city's total population. This means that too many of our residents live in unsustainable, and, in too many cases, un-neighborly neighborhoods.

There are those developers who produce both infill and new development projects of outstanding quality, in our inner-city and downtown areas. Where are the developers who are producing the same outstanding projects in the other areas within our vast city boundaries?

We have, as a city, spread our developments too thin and too homogeneously to create real places. The future trick will be how we can carefully and surgically repair what we have already built, in order to create places we can all call home.

Davis Sprinkle, AIA, is the owner of Sprinkle & Co. Architects.
Monte Vista as a model for modern development

MV is exactly as described above and has been for quite some time. I remember I always used to get a kick out of reading a sign that was posted at the front doors of that drug store that used to be in front of Twain Middle School, it only allowed two students, or was it three, at a time to enter the store and they had to leave their backpacks at the counter. That was the greatest danger of a crime happening and most likely still is or at least felt like it.

Is that Stefanias any good? I keep seeing it whenever I pass by and always want to try it out.

Last edited by Merovee; 09-25-2010 at 05:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2010, 05:47 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,119,974 times
Quote:
Have these colleagues BEEN to Monte Vista? Why in heaven's name would they think he had to make excuses for living in MV? It isn't like he's living in a crackhouse.
I dunno.

Old 09-25-2010, 06:07 PM

2,260 posts, read 5,616,185 times
It makes me laugh that they're knocking MV's streets for being connected to outside neighborhoods. Not everyone wants to live in a lockdown.

ETA: Just reread - he's not knocking it, but just stating it as fact.

Sorry. Reading comprehension: Catch it!

Old 09-25-2010, 06:30 PM

122 posts, read 372,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post
I think with any neighborhood inside loop 410, you are going to find greater degree of diversity than what you will find in the mass clusters of cookie cutter homes or mcmansions outside loop 410. (more so outside loop 1604)
There are many neighborhoods around the AH, OP, Th towns that are not $million dollar homes but are very quaint, close communities. Small homes that are well kept in the area. Rents are high for small houses to keep the "riff-raff"out and hopefully keep Section 8 out too. Nice middle class and quiete.

Old 09-25-2010, 09:40 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,997,649 times
Quote:
I think that I know who he's talking about. The man and his wife actually live in "alta vista"?, (the neighborhood that is west of san pedro). The homes there are not quite as affluent as monte vista and I've wondered t why they don't live in a fancier home. Lord knows they could afford to do so.

Old 09-25-2010, 10:18 PM

2,260 posts, read 5,616,185 times
Maybe they're happy with their "less fancy" home. Not everyone feels a need to keep up with the Joneses.

Old 09-25-2010, 10:45 PM

4,287 posts, read 8,029,031 times
Quote:
Maybe they're happy with their "less fancy" home. Not everyone feels a need to keep up with the Joneses.
And some people like living in a smaller house with the same amenities as a larger mansion due to its lesser maintenance requirements, less cleaning, smaller electricity bill, etc.

I live in a gated McMansion outside 1604 that's not cookie-cutter, but every single bedroom is occupied, having 6 people living in my home. Our home is perfect for us, although I will admit I personally would have preferred to live closer to downtown. Nevertheless, I am very happy with where my family lives. Could be better, could be worse.

Old 09-25-2010, 10:46 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,712,823 times
Quote:
Not everyone feels a need to keep up with the Joneses.

Old 09-26-2010, 10:34 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,119,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
I think that I know who he's talking about. The man and his wife actually live in "alta vista"?, (the neighborhood that is west of san pedro). The homes there are not quite as affluent as monte vista and I've wondered t why they don't live in a fancier home. Lord knows they could afford to do so.
I'm the one that brought it up and I'm a female, Skeet as in the female twin of the muppet babies, lol.
Alta Vista, thanks! I get somewhat confused on where the lines blur on the neighborhoods end and begin sometimes.
His niche is senior care and does it because it's a overlooked part of medical care. He lives in the area because he wants to better connect with the people he serves.

Old 09-26-2010, 10:51 AM

915 posts, read 1,903,943 times
Alta Vista is no slum and there are some nice homes there. Similarly, Olmos Park Terrace is well maintained.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio