Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 07:18 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,793,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsa210tx View Post
...Also, Texas is a Republican state (unfortunately) ...
Unfortunately for who, exactly? Have you noticed how many of us moved here from states that were not and paid attention to the reason why we left?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2010, 09:13 AM

580 posts, read 1,429,784 times
Texas is a Republican state (for the time being--although it's becoming quite "purple," in fact), but San Antonio is a Democratic city. I think that Mayor Castro fits in pretty well with the political vibe/consensus in SA and Bexar County. And I think his increasing national prominence can only do great things for our city and its reputation. It's good for both progressives and conservatives at the national level to know that SA is quite a bit more liberal than many of them thought.

Old 09-14-2010, 02:12 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,877,109 times
I am also an optimist on this but the above reads a bit like a public relations press release.

This will boost Mayor Castro's reputation but I cannot find how it will do the same to our city.

The national level considers and treats San Antonio as an outpost, great for specialized things, but Houston and Dallas are better go-to cities for anything of importance it seems.

I think that is OK as long as we know who we are and quit trying to pretend we are this world-class city than can compete with others and therefore demand the same things, more sports teams, etc...

If we embrace our frontier status we can be a super mid-level city that has a few big-city things we could actually be proud of. So far our biggest achievement seems to be HemisFair Park built for the 1968 World's Fair. Huge economic generator then but what has it done for us lately?

To me that reveals what our mentality is and the problem that goes along with it. We want big-city things like a World's Fair or more sports franchises but these are hugely tourist and service industry related tickets. They are novelties that when a city possesses them does prove they are big-city but those big-cities also have industry and commerce to back those novelties up. We do not and it is those things we should focus mainly on instead of building more domes.

Old 09-14-2010, 04:50 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
Unfortunately for who, exactly? Have you noticed how many of us moved here from states that were not and paid attention to the reason why we left?
Do a google search for "Texas turning blue" and do some reading.

Old 09-14-2010, 09:19 PM

5,615 posts, read 14,793,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Do a google search for "Texas turning blue" and do some reading.
I'm already well aware of the phrase, although references to it from the last year or so are much harder to find than more obsolete ones from 2008 for some reason... Anyway some that move here aren't bright enough to figure the reason behind the problems that caused them to move. With any luck it won't happen and this state won't wind up uncompetitive like so many others have.

Old 09-15-2010, 08:45 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,391,187 times
Default You are right Dopo,

I saw the circuitos and non-funtional thinking immediately too.
Another irony of in this place and time. . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I don’t know what thread you are talking about, but we are talking about “Julian Castro attending a event to celebrate Mexico’s independence”
and guess what? It has to do with Mexicans, San Antonio and Texas.

Old 09-15-2010, 08:59 PM

Default Unecessary?

It is only a commemorative event of a neighboring country where, where history, cullture and social structure are all intertwined. It is a celebration
with the S.A. guy as sort of our goodwill ambassador at large. We
needed someone, who better than julio Castro. They should love his presence
there.
Mexico has been an ally for the U.S. in more than a few wars as far back as the War of 1812. That he is sooo young is very remarkable. It is, amazing and brings him much notoriety. He's got it..now if he were only white?
Dang it !
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsa210tx View Post
I think his "youth" definitely has a lot to do with the attention he is receiving.

If he were 58 years old and a Hispanic/Latino mayor of SA, I don't really think people would care so much about him. But his 30's youthful age, his great educational background, and the fact that he is Hispanic/Latino (and the mayor from one of the largest cities in the country), I think sets him apart from other mayors of cities our size.

I think our mayor is a fine, decent and intelligent man and I'm happy to have him as our mayor and representing our city.

In regards to him going to Mexico: personally, I think it's unnecessary. But it's just a trip. Big deal.

Old 09-15-2010, 09:14 PM

Default These things of which you speak,

And the lack of them is what makes San Antonio what it is, and the city has nealy an unrivaled success in prosrerity. These changes will come
with a price. The plan for this place will make it somethng it was not before and and I for one like it just the was it is now,but opporunity may be knocking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
I am also an optimist on this but the above reads a bit like a public relations press release.

This will boost Mayor Castro's reputation but I cannot find how it will do the same to our city.

The national level considers and treats San Antonio as an outpost, great for specialized things, but Houston and Dallas are better go-to cities for anything of importance it seems.

I think that is OK as long as we know who we are and quit trying to pretend we are this world-class city than can compete with others and therefore demand the same things, more sports teams, etc...

If we embrace our frontier status we can be a super mid-level city that has a few big-city things we could actually be proud of. So far our biggest achievement seems to be HemisFair Park built for the 1968 World's Fair. Huge economic generator then but what has it done for us lately?

To me that reveals what our mentality is and the problem that goes along with it. We want big-city things like a World's Fair or more sports franchises but these are hugely tourist and service industry related tickets. They are novelties that when a city possesses them does prove they are big-city but those big-cities also have industry and commerce to back those novelties up. We do not and it is those things we should focus mainly on instead of building more domes.

Old 09-15-2010, 09:36 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,407,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneOf48 View Post
Texas is a Republican state (for the time being--although it's becoming quite "purple," in fact), but San Antonio is a Democratic city. I think that Mayor Castro fits in pretty well with the political vibe/consensus in SA and Bexar County. And I think his increasing national prominence can only do great things for our city and its reputation. It's good for both progressives and conservatives at the national level to know that SA is quite a bit more liberal than many of them thought.
Some would say what is good for progressives is definitely NOT good for conservatives..

and I can't see how an imbalance in any way is good for ANYONE...and I'm quite conservative-leaning in my politics.

Old 09-15-2010, 09:53 PM

6,707 posts, read 8,778,122 times
I have not seen any posts that specifically state why he is not an good choice for Mayor other than he is young and liberal.

Can anyone provide specifics and examples of why he is not good for the city of San Antonio in his current position other than the fact he is young and liberal?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio