Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2010, 09:51 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,994,733 times

Advertisements

I know that it's only fast food, but I loved it so much ever since I tasted 25 years ago. it was one of the foods that I craved so much; I looked forward to eating lots of them when I visited SA from so calif. But lately, the taste of the fajita tacos is not the same. In fact, I can hardly finish them even with a good appetite. Has anyone else noticed that they taste different?

Last edited by wehotex; 09-18-2010 at 10:02 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2010, 09:58 PM

2,216 posts, read 4,539,668 times
havent had one in a while. I usually just go there for breakfast tacos. Dinner tacos....TinkATako

Old 09-18-2010, 10:06 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,021,548 times
They changed YEARS ago.....when I first moved here, the fajitas, both beef and chicken, were delightful. I stopped eating there several years ago. I loved their red salsa--it always tasted so fresh, but ewww the meat just got sickening. Shame....it used to be a nice, quick lunch on the cheap.

Old 09-18-2010, 10:13 PM

311 posts, read 845,762 times
Can't stomach Taco Cabana anymore either. Loved it years ago when I lived in Hou., since moving back to TX. - EWWW!
Favorite quick Mexican food place is El Tropiko yuuuuummmmm Might have to grab breakfast there in the morning.

Old 09-18-2010, 10:32 PM

3,770 posts, read 8,289,143 times
The mother of a friend of mine works(ed?) at the Taco Cabana test kitchen and said a few years ago when Mama Margies opened up that "Mama Margie" left Taco Cabana and took her recipes with her.

Old 09-18-2010, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perticusrex View Post
The mother of a friend of mine works(ed?) at the Taco Cabana test kitchen and said a few years ago when Mama Margies opened up that "Mama Margie" left Taco Cabana and took her recipes with her.
But I don't think that Mama Margie is the owner of the Mama Margies. when I was @ the 10/wurzbach location, my BIL told me who the owner was, and it wasn't mama margie. Mama margies does taste better, imo. I only noticed the poor taste of the TC meat recently though and thought that maybe it was just the 10/dezavala loc that I go to. Afterwards, I went to the San Pedro/hildebrand loc and realized that it was most likely all of them. it's a rancid kind of taste that reminds me of spoiled meat.

Old 09-18-2010, 11:02 PM

3,770 posts, read 8,289,143 times
No Mama Margie doesnt own any of the restaurants, but she does do the cooking including the recipes which were the same as TCs where she used to create recipes. The owners of Mama Margies are former TC partners.

Old 09-18-2010, 11:08 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,499,483 times
Hello all. Long time reader but I never felt the need to post....until now.

Ihave noticed the exact same thing. About a month or so ago the meat changed. I love the chicken fajitas at Taco Cabana but not anymore. Just to be sure I tried them at the Taco Cabana in Boerne, the one at Blanco and 1604 and the one at Blanco and West. They all had that nasty "new" meat.

The meat is a lot "whiter" than the old style and has very little flavor and the flavor it does have is somewhat spoiled.

I dont know what happened but something happened and it sucks.

Old 09-19-2010, 12:04 AM

161 posts, read 360,360 times
They changed the chicken meat from dark meat (thighs specifically) to breast. A while back, they still served dark meat here but were serving the white meat stuff in Houston. I tried it there and didn't really like it, and I'm disappointed they started serving it here too. I wonder if they will serve dark meat on request?

Old 09-19-2010, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by budjb View Post
They changed the chicken meat from dark meat (thighs specifically) to breast. A while back, they still served dark meat here but were serving the white meat stuff in Houston. I tried it there and didn't really like it, and I'm disappointed they started serving it here too. I wonder if they will serve dark meat on request?
It's not just that they changed it from dark meat to white meat, but the rancid taste! I've eaten white meat fajita at other places, but it never tasted like that. Isn't it kind of hard to believe that a fast food place would try to serve healthier meat? I thought that perhaps that this meat that they're using is a cheaper piece because it's about near spoiled at their supplier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio