U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-21-2010, 01:44 PM
 
612 posts, read 1,934,240 times
Reputation: 2010

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Okay - taking your reasoning to the next level...how many tables is she or he covering - maybe 6? You're there for an hour, say. You leave a $10 tip...6 tables...$60/hour.

Now, let's take an average table of 2, everything else above is the same. Leave 15% of a $25 tab - $3.75. Still comes out to $22.50/hour - not bad wages in this city for the average person. Not great either, but part of that is covered by the fact that there's typically not a lot of training/skills required in places of that caliber. Go into a more "upscale" locale, and both your dinner tab AND the resultant 15% tip increases.
$22.50 an hour is a good wage.....for those hours when there is turnover on tables like you mentioned......but for the hours between 1:30 and 4:30 when the wait staff has one or two tables per section per hour.....or when they are sent home after working for just 4-5 hours that day because it is slow and the manager is closing sections......that $22.50 needs to be averaged out over those hours as well

the vast majority of waitstaff don't work a full 40 hour week and it is not because of their choosing (yes I know they chose that job) but it is because there are times when restaurants are slammed and full and there are times when restaurants are dead and slow......and working 5 hours a day for 7 days a week might as well be like working 60 hours a week in 5 12 hour days by the time you figure out back and forth to work, the inability to make plans or get out of town, and all the other things that come along with working on any single day for any amount of hours over one or two

and for the person that mentioned about the server doing the same work to bring a $25 dollar steak to your table VS a $6 dollar burger......you are 100% correct to a point......but what I was trying to show in my first post is there is still some difference in that because the IRS is going to 100% assume automatically that server was tipped 8% on $25 dollars if that is the cost of an item and they will not think "well the person sitting there could have ordered something cheaper and still had the same amount of "service""

so if there is an adjustment made for what is a valid point....please remember that the IRS will not be making any adjustment on the 8% of the cost of the item ordered just because the labor was indeed the same or nearly the same

I don't make the rules I am just clarifying them for some
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-21-2010, 01:53 PM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
71,546 posts, read 83,030,994 times
Reputation: 41371
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasVines View Post
$22.50 an hour is a good wage.....for those hours when there is turnover on tables like you mentioned......but for the hours between 1:30 and 4:30 when the wait staff has one or two tables per section per hour.....or when they are sent home after working for just 4-5 hours that day because it is slow and the manager is closing sections......that $22.50 needs to be averaged out over those hours as well

the vast majority of waitstaff don't work a full 40 hour week and it is not because of their choosing (yes I know they chose that job) but it is because there are times when restaurants are slammed and full and there are times when restaurants are dead and slow......and working 5 hours a day for 7 days a week might as well be like working 60 hours a week in 5 12 hour days by the time you figure out back and forth to work, the inability to make plans or get out of town, and all the other things that come along with working on any single day for any amount of hours over one or two

and for the person that mentioned about the server doing the same work to bring a $25 dollar steak to your table VS a $6 dollar burger......you are 100% correct to a point......but what I was trying to show in my first post is there is still some difference in that because the IRS is going to 100% assume automatically that server was tipped 8% on $25 dollars if that is the cost of an item and they will not think "well the person sitting there could have ordered something cheaper and still had the same amount of "service""

so if there is an adjustment made for what is a valid point....please remember that the IRS will not be making any adjustment on the 8% of the cost of the item ordered just because the labor was indeed the same or nearly the same

I don't make the rules I am just clarifying them for some
People who have never been in the business or do not have family members that have will never understand. Most never take into consideration the slow hours or don't realize the wait staff is often sent home after 3 or 4 hours.

NIta
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2010, 02:06 PM
Status: "just keep scrolling then?" (set 9 days ago)
 
14,603 posts, read 31,102,271 times
Reputation: 6634
If you willingly and knowingly accept a job "working for tips" then you should know you're going to have to "work for tips". I'm not in the business but that's really clear to me. Not sure what insider info you have to have to "get it".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2010, 03:18 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
399 posts, read 1,026,819 times
Reputation: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyd78 View Post
We always keep it simple. Double the tax, and round up to the nearest dollar. That's about 16-17%, or thereabouts. Close enough. Done.
Me too! This is my base, I can go up and down from there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2010, 03:21 PM
 
Location: Converse, TX
19 posts, read 33,321 times
Reputation: 15
What kills me is, the wait staff DO have a say in what sort of food is delivered to my table, in one aspect or another. Like another poster said, if I specifically asked for "No Tomatoes" and you deliver a plate to me with tomatoes, it's like you didn't even listen to what I requested. Or better yet, I love the places where I go with my family, and they refuse to write things down. So.... we order a relatively complicated order for my family of 4, and the stuff comes out incorrect.

Hey, not my fault you decided not to write things down... and not my fault you decided to work for tips.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2010, 01:00 AM
 
Location: South Central Texas
114,158 posts, read 53,907,447 times
Reputation: 163153
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
If you willingly and knowingly accept a job "working for tips" then you should know you're going to have to "work for tips". I'm not in the business but that's really clear to me. Not sure what insider info you have to have to "get it".
Agreed! Good Grief! Leave whatever you like as a tip or don't. Just because the gov't has been duped into allowing restaurants to pay sub standard wages....doesn't mean you should make up the short fall. But, by all means if you feel charitable go ahead. Not to say as with any other service provider if they earn it tip 'em. Just don't give me this fictitious number crap. If your wallet is a little too fat.... drop a load. After all, part of the "experience" is feeling like you've made someones day! Right?

Last edited by SATX56; 09-22-2010 at 02:12 AM.. Reason: changed to to too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2010, 08:45 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
71,546 posts, read 83,030,994 times
Reputation: 41371
Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
Agreed! Good Grief! Leave whatever you like as a tip or don't. Just because the gov't has been duped into allowing restaurants to pay sub standard wages....doesn't mean you should make up the short fall. But, by all means if you feel charitable go ahead. Not to say as with any other service provider if they earn it tip 'em. Just don't give me this fictitious number crap. If your wallet is a little too fat.... drop a load. After all, part of the "experience" is feeling like you've made someones day! Right?
god, some of you just don't get it. Ok, government decides to force restaurants to pay min wage or more. They raise the price of food and you have no guarantee what kind of service you will got and have no recourse. That will really solve the problems of all you Moderator cut: poor tippers. And yes, no matter what you say, people who throw this back onto the restaurant or the government usually are poor tippers.

Nita

Last edited by Bo; 09-22-2010 at 11:41 AM.. Reason: Replaced one word to make it less inflammatory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2010, 12:02 PM
 
Location: South Central Texas
114,158 posts, read 53,907,447 times
Reputation: 163153
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
god, some of you just don't get it. Ok, government decides to force restaurants to pay min wage or more. They raise the price of food and you have no guarantee what kind of service you will got and have no recourse. That will really solve the problems of all you Moderator cut: poor tippers. And yes, no matter what you say, people who throw this back onto the restaurant or the government usually are poor tippers.

Nita
..Wrong, and yes some of you (meaning the masses)don't get it. You (meaning all) as a consumer should pay a reasonable price for Restaurant food/service. Like every other service in our lives the provider (owner) takes it from there. He pays his servers and his merchants and all other entities required to run his business. Simple! If you like your service leave a tip if not.. don't. This is how it should be. I realize the situation is perverted by gov't meddling and the like. Yes of course anyone who has worked for $2 bucks an hour and hoping for tips has a certain point of view. Pay the fair price for eating out and the restaurant owners can then pay fair wages. If you want people to wait on you hand and foot hire someone.
...
...
Don't expect more from a food server than you expect from the cashier at your grocer. And Yes, no matter what you say most people who whine about tips are former waiters/waitresses. I'm an excellent tipper as are all in my family. I personally am tired of people throwing out these percentage #'s . People bragging on the size of their tips and telling you how much you should tip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2010, 04:40 PM
 
Location: SA/Pipe Creek
2,790 posts, read 5,160,854 times
Reputation: 1590
I agree. I have never used a percentage method. I don't order expensive items generally, but I also don't tip based on the total ticket amount. Most of the servers I have had get at least 30% or better most of the time, unless they are total nasties.... of which I have had very few over the years in San Antonio.

When I do get the occasional nasty personality, I remind myself that there is a tip differential that will make up for their sub-minimum wage (if needed).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2010, 12:25 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
80 posts, read 122,466 times
Reputation: 53
I think if the service is good my husband and I are great tippers. The thing I hate is when I have a so-called large party of say 6 (4 adults and 2 kids) and a restaurant automatically adds the 15 - 18% gratuity and the service turns out crappy and there's nothing we can do but pay because it's already included in the bill.

I also refuse to return food. I may talk to the manager afterwards but NEVER EVER do I send my plate back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top