U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 12:26 AM

927 posts, read 1,206,509 times

Advertisements

According to this article there is a proposal afloat to combine the San Antonio and Austin market areas into one. Both communities would retain their individual identities of course but would be considered a single entity for marketing purposes. I think it's a great idea for all the reasons mentioned in the article.

S.A.-Austin market data could be combined
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2010, 02:35 AM

3,669 posts, read 5,898,364 times
The reasons given seem fine until you realize it is the desire for a sports team, particularly an NFL team, that is being emphasized.

Do we want a team that bad that we are willing to share?

Are not people in Austin comfortable with being a mid-size city? They have a better job market than us as is.

Do they even want an NFL team? It would not help our city and would just be an economic drain.

This obsession with wanting a pro football team and to be a big city seems uniquely characteristic of our city alone.

Old 09-20-2010, 08:42 AM

399 posts, read 1,027,734 times
I'm not against adding an NFL franchise between the two cities to draw from each, but I'm not sure these two cities qualify as a CSA, they're just too far apart and independent. The downtowns are 80 miles apart, that's a pretty long way. We have separate airports, separate tv stations, etc. With that said, I think a football team in New Braunfels could work. Though I'd rather see an NFL team play in an updated Alamodome than play in the suburbs like the boys in Arlington.

Old 09-20-2010, 10:24 AM

6,878 posts, read 18,176,023 times
If people knew what an NFL team could do around here, well...it would sure be a benefit. I don't see a single downside. I mean, we'd finally hear about another Texas team on the radio and the news besides the Cowboys...that's reason enough for me.

Seriously though, we'd for sure increase in TV rankings, always a big pull for new markets. I could see a stadium near San Marcos. It could work...look at Arlington, Irving, etc...those places were dust bowls before the big leagues came along.

As a Houstonian that had no team for 10+ years, it hurt us tremendously in many ways not to have one, but we lived. However, since the Texans debut, it's been great. Houston has been able to heal the gaping wound caused by that no-talent a$$ clown Bud Adams and wave the Texans flag, despite the few idiots that still wave Titans flags at games... ugh.

It's a good thing, IMHO. It would be the name that would mess everybody up...I mean, you can't call your team the "Austin-San Antonio Whatevers". It's either Austin or San Antonio, and my guess is, it would end up being a San Antonio name.

Old 09-20-2010, 12:31 PM

399 posts, read 1,027,734 times
How about naming the team the "Texas Hold'em?!?"

Old 09-20-2010, 12:43 PM

6,878 posts, read 18,176,023 times
I like it, 713...the logo could be a royal flush.

Old 09-20-2010, 01:02 PM

1,314 posts, read 2,771,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 713 to 210 View Post
I'm not against adding an NFL franchise between the two cities to draw from each, but I'm not sure these two cities qualify as a CSA, they're just too far apart and independent. The downtowns are 80 miles apart, that's a pretty long way. We have separate airports, separate tv stations, etc. With that said, I think a football team in New Braunfels could work. Though I'd rather see an NFL team play in an updated Alamodome than play in the suburbs like the boys in Arlington.
Look at the list of CSAs-- there are quite a few that are substantially separated and independent (Seattle-Olympia, Minneapolis-St. Cloud, and Orlando-Daytona Beach jump out at me.) That's why the basic MSA designation remains. A CSA is an overarching unit that shows interactivity between MSAs. SA and Austin will probably qualify for a CSA, if not this cycle then certainly by 2020.

BTW, Austin is already part of a CSA-- it's the combo of the Austin MSA and the Marble Falls micropolitan area and was just created last year with the creation of the Marble Falls area.

Table of United States Combined Statistical Areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-20-2010, 01:35 PM

3,566 posts, read 5,289,802 times
There have been discussions on the Austin forum about having a pro sports team and informal as that may me it was pretty overwhelming negative. Then if you bring into play the possibility of public financing it gets even worse. We have UT football now and in 2012 (hopefully) will have the U.S. Grand Prix (aka Formula One), the world's most popular motorsport. I think that's probably enough.......

The CSA with Marble Falls is very recent. I still think the two economies are not as tightly linked as other twin cities.

I also think that between the Cowboys and the improving Texans the market may already be saturated with NFL in the state.

Old 09-20-2010, 01:56 PM

52 posts, read 138,082 times
As a native Austinite, I don't want Austin to get an NFL team. We have UT, loaded with college sports, and I don't want a professional team! I like that we have UT Football, but I don't want some major NFL team. Also, we have to grow responsibly, and I think if an NFL team was put in San Marcos or New Braunfels, these areas would explode in population, and I can't say it would be a good thing.

I am a San Antonian right now and could care less if this town got an NFL team. But I don't want it in Austin, that's for sure!!!!!

Old 09-20-2010, 02:02 PM

52 posts, read 138,082 times
Also, I don't know if I want Austin/San Antonio to be a CSA. It would benefit San Antonio, but I don't know if it would benefit Austin. Austin is already expected to surpass San Antonio in metro population in not too long. Yet Austin is growing more toward the north, not the south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio