U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-06-2010, 06:51 PM
RGJ

1,898 posts, read 2,545,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtea View Post
This building is on Thousand Oaks going east....right before Wetmore rd. on the right hand side. Friend of mine had a house behind here on a hill many years ago. You can combine this prize money with the last one I won...woohoo!

You were close CTSanders..very close, but no cigar! lol
Is this where the egg place is now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2010, 06:54 PM

864 posts, read 886,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGJ View Post
Is this where the egg place is now?

Yep! The egg place is right there in that group of older buildings. Lordy...I remember when that used to be out in the sticks!

Old 10-06-2010, 07:51 PM

111 posts, read 177,375 times
I figured that would be an easy one:

Photo on Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/matthigh/5057856876/ - broken link)

This is the old post office building for the town of Wetmore, located at the corner of Wetmore Road and Thousand Oaks. Back in the day when this was still waaaaaay out in the middle of nowhere, the community of Wetmore was established in 1890 when the brand spankin'-new railroad was built, eleven miles on its way out of San Antonio. It was never a large community, but it did have its own separate identity well into the twentieth century. Nowadays, little remains as a reminder that the town of Wetmore existed as something "other than San Antonio" -- just one of many little communities that are now no longer individual towns but part of the greater San Antonio area as they have been gobbled up by the growing city. Just a partial list of "lost towns" include: Longhorn, Fratt, Coker, Shavano, Robards, Beckmann, Adams, Remount, Southton, Berg's Mill, Buena Vista, Cassin, Terrell Wells, Luxello, Withers, Olga, Sayers, and Short's Corner (I'm sure that I am missing several more, though).

Old 10-06-2010, 08:19 PM

Mlhradio....hope you don't mind, but if I may...

Can anyone identify this photo from 1966? It is here in SA, and now is a very busy area.....
Attached Thumbnails
Can You Guess This Location Near San Antonio?-1966.jpg  

Old 10-06-2010, 08:33 PM

1,468 posts, read 1,320,661 times
Default I-10 north,

I believe it to be I-19 north about where DeZaval would be now
axcept back in the sixties. The pickup truck looks like a 1962 Chevrolet.
Quote:

Can anyone identify this photo from 1966? It is here in SA, and now is a very busy area.....

Old 10-06-2010, 09:24 PM

Quote:

I can only really guess, since this would have been before I was born, and about four decades before I moved to San Antonio. But if I had to make an educated guess, that landscape profile on the horizon looks suspiciously like present-day IH-10/US-87 west, from approximately where UTSA Blvd is located now, and the roadway descends slightly in elevation to Leon Creek. The notch in the hills kinda looks like the Puerta Pinta gap in the Balcones Escarpment, where the old Pinta Trail heads northwest from San Antonio to Boerne and beyond.

Old 10-06-2010, 09:44 PM

Your both right! This was taken about where the old Locke Hill School is. The road at the bottom of the hill is DeZavala. They were building IH-10 going west in this picture....sure looks different! The spot where Locke Hill is, used to be a stagecoach stop....the next one along the line was at Leon Springs. Your right about the Pinta trail going this way thru the hills. It extended from San Antonio thru the hill country for about 180 miles and ended at the Santa Cruz de San Saba mission outside of Menard. Here is a link that gives more detail of the Pinta Trail. Interesting stuff:

Handbook of Texas Online - PINTA TRAIL

Old 10-07-2010, 02:57 AM

Photo on Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/matthigh/5058334785/ - broken link)

This historic church can be found a bit off the beaten path in a county adjacent to Bexar County. Recognize this location?

Old 10-08-2010, 12:25 AM

No guesses after the first day? Okay, here's a couple of clues. The first part of the church was constructed in 1853 and expanded to its present form in 1868, but was ultimately abandoned in 1914, many years after most of the townsfolk had relocated about a mile and a half to the north. In the cemetery directly adjacent to the left (which was abandoned in the 1890's due to a diphtheria epidemic) are several wrought-iron cross markers and the grave of the first sheriff of Bandera County.

Old 10-08-2010, 08:48 AM

8,303 posts, read 12,823,854 times
The suspense is killing me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio