Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 08:11 PM

2,260 posts, read 5,614,577 times

Advertisements

WalMart keeps advertising - ad nauseum - on the radio about some new check cashing service they have. I don't know any details as I change the station.

And really...just drive toward downtown inside the loop on Fred Rd. - you'll find check cashing places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2010, 08:28 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,819,506 times
I wholeheartedly agree with TXRedneck on this one. Having one of my bank accounts with a major, big-box bank, it's been a learning experience from the very personal and customized experience I have with my USAA accounts. The 'rules' that big-banks live by are somewhat idiotic, especially considering when the customer has more than enough in his account to cover something that's, in the long run, insignificant. I've gone up, down and around with my larger bank about holds, etc and it's like talking to a brick wall.

I just move the bulk of my money, investments and business to other, smaller and more intuitive banking institutions. Frankly, I know they could care less, but it's peace of mind and patience for me.

BN

Old 09-25-2010, 09:37 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,721,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminNicholas View Post
I wholeheartedly agree with TXRedneck on this one. Having one of my bank accounts with a major, big-box bank, it's been a learning experience from the very personal and customized experience I have with my USAA accounts. The 'rules' that big-banks live by are somewhat idiotic, especially considering when the customer has more than enough in his account to cover something that's, in the long run, insignificant. I've gone up, down and around with my larger bank about holds, etc and it's like talking to a brick wall.

I just move the bulk of my money, investments and business to other, smaller and more intuitive banking institutions. Frankly, I know they could care less, but it's peace of mind and patience for me.

BN
"Insignificant" if you are the only person doing it. If a bank does it for you, in all fairness they need to do it for everyone which immediately changes it to "very significant".

I could go on about why the policies as are they are and why the holds are what they are and could go into a long drawn out lesson on the life of a check, but you as well as others only care about the end result.

Let me be perfectly clear. I understand completely the customer's take on this, but at the same time I completely understand why the banks operate as they do. I dont agree with it either, but I understand it.

Old 09-25-2010, 10:08 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,827,375 times
I understand it - but just as I understand that the trip I'm facing to meet w/a customer in LA next week makes NO financial sense, I further understand that for long term customer relations, it will pay off down the road.

Business is built on relationships, which means sometimes you take, sometimes you give. If all you ever do is take, your competition WILL win.

Old 09-25-2010, 10:17 PM

2,260 posts, read 5,614,577 times
I go into my bank perhaps once a year. Everything we get is direct deposited. I had to go in twice with house stuff in March and that was the most I'd stepped into my bank building in years.

The whole relationship aspect of banking is a non-issue for me. Just let my work direct deposit my checks and let me use my ATM/debit card and I'm good to go.

Old 09-25-2010, 11:46 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,406,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaGrace View Post
WalMart keeps advertising - ad nauseum - on the radio about some new check cashing service they have. I don't know any details as I change the station.
All it is really is just a 3.00 flat fee to cash government and payroll checks, with no extra fees, at Walmart. Not a bad deal. I have BOA and SSFCU so I don't need Walmart or a Moneybox type of place.

Before this flat Walmart 3.00 fee, Moneybox was the way to go (if you didn't have a bank account) as they only charged 1% of the check amount (for example: $5 to cash a $500 check).

The only bad thing about Moneybox is they are VERY picky about cashing certain checks from certain companies. If the company wasn't in their system, they would have to call the bank and get clearance first which was a pain. Several years ago, I went through that a few times before I finally found a free online BOA promotion a few years ago and I've been with them since.

I've never looked back after that.

Old 09-25-2010, 11:57 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,406,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
If your own bank won't take it, that's a huge flag right there. Who/what is the check from? There's a LOT of counterfeit checks flying around - and if you cash it, they can come back on you if it's bad, so be VERY careful!!
Not necessarily. Most banks just don't cash 3rd party checks anymore.

I remember about 8 years ago, before the Laredo National Bank was bought out by Compass Bank, I cashed a 3rd party check for my Dad since I had an account with them there. But they only did it as a "one-time courtesy."

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneSA View Post
If your bank will not take it with a garentee against funds already there, then there is something seriously wrong with it.
Your own bank should take it as a deposit and place a hold on it until it clears. The hold can be from 5 to 10 days.
Depends on what bank and where that bank is located. Try again, only this time deposit the check into your own account.
Most banks just won't cash 3rd party checks anymore unfortunately.

Last edited by xsa210tx; 09-26-2010 at 12:12 AM..

Old 09-27-2010, 04:28 PM

Adding to my post above, a lot of folks forget that banks install 'holds' on checks, especially larger ones as a way for them to quietly make money. Let me explain:

It's called 'floating' a check and banks do it ALL THE TIME. Thanks to Check 21 rules, a bank can usually verify funds- electronically- in less than 24-hours, but can legally hold a check for up to 11 business days. So, what happens to your money for the remaining 9-10 days? Well, a bank can put your cash into overnight money markets and other places to make THEM money, all while not giving you access to what is rightfully yours.

Nice, eh? It's BS in my opinion (but sadly legal) and I've left banks that have openly held my deposits without being able to properly explain themselves. Now, with BOA and USAA, I never have an issue with deposits or third-party checks. They know me. They know my history. My bankers make sure things get done. Not that it didn't take a few months of pushing on my part, but in the end, I did end up getting exactly what I wanted.

The squeaky wheel gets the grease, indeed

BN

Old 09-27-2010, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
"Insignificant" if you are the only person doing it. If a bank does it for you, in all fairness they need to do it for everyone which immediately changes it to "very significant".
That may be, but as someone in banking, you already know that there's a BIG difference in how you're treated as a $10k customer versus being a $100k+ with included investments and credit lines with an institution.

Banks have NEVER treated all of their customers equally: With how much business I do with my bank, I expect more.

BN

Old 07-09-2015, 10:28 AM

1 posts, read 1,607 times
Well did the place off old hwy 90 work? I'm in same boat!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of: