Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 02:37 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,119,974 times

Advertisements

Did anyone check out the news coverage on the cleanup?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2010, 12:17 PM

1,314 posts, read 3,177,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
FWIW, I never said I wasn't going to contact the city. I said I knew what 311 was.

This really isn't about me or anyone else not giving the government a chance.
I asked you if you contacted them and you said you hadn't. It was obviously bad enough for you to post here about it, but it wasn't bad enough for you to promptly report it to the city?

Quote:
Apparently I wasn't the only one talking about this...because the media saw this thread or someone sent it to them.
We've had many cases where we talk about things here and they show-up in the media shortly thereafter, but I also recall you posting this:

Quote:
My DH has a lovely letter to the City drafted, cc'ed to KSAT.
So was that you in the interview on KSAT?

Look, my point (again) is very simple: I don't like it when people see something that needs attention and instead of reporting it to the responsible agency, they run off to the media and make a big stink about it (no pun intended). It just doesn't seem fair to me. But I'm aware that opinions vary.

Old 10-04-2010, 01:00 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,404,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexHwyMan View Post
I asked you if you contacted them and you said you hadn't. It was obviously bad enough for you to post here about it, but it wasn't bad enough for you to promptly report it to the city?
Oh jeez...why are you so insistent on an argument over this? I was venting here, as well as informing others as to what we had to deal with. Promptly? Holy cow, what is "promptly" to you? I mean, this whole thing was handled in three days, start to finish. I'd say that's pretty prompt!

Quote:
We've had many cases where we talk about things here and they show-up in the media shortly thereafter, but I also recall you posting this:
Yes? And? I don't even think we were able to hit "send" before we were contacted by BOTH entities who had already received complaints and were investigating the problem.

Quote:
Look, my point (again) is very simple: I don't like it when people see something that needs attention and instead of reporting it to the responsible agency, they run off to the media and make a big stink about it (no pun intended). It just doesn't seem fair to me. But I'm aware that opinions vary.
Yes, you've mentioned that before. I happen to be one of those whose "opinions vary". I didn't "run off" to the media, and I didn't make a "big stink" about it. People come here and complain all the time. Why is my particular post causing so much trouble for you?

Old 10-08-2010, 09:35 AM

1,314 posts, read 3,177,710 times
Quote:
Oh jeez...why are you so insistent on an argument over this? I was venting here, as well as informing others as to what we had to deal with. Promptly? Holy cow, what is "promptly" to you? I mean, this whole thing was handled in three days, start to finish. I'd say that's pretty prompt!
I'm not trying to make an argument over this. I was just saying that it's one of my pet peeves when I see people complain to the media about something instead of notifying the responsible party, whether that be a government agency, business, school, HOA, in-laws, etc. If the shoe fits, then I'm sorry.

"Promptly" to me would have been to call 311 that day.

Quote:
Yes, you've mentioned that before. I happen to be one of those whose "opinions vary". I didn't "run off" to the media, and I didn't make a "big stink" about it. People come here and complain all the time. Why is my particular post causing so much trouble for you?
I have chastised others who have vented about something here and not gone and reported it. It's fine to vent, but if it's something that's bothering you enough to vent about it and you actually want it fixed, then it seems like you should also be willing to take the time to report it to the people who are responsible for it.

You can have the last word if you want it. If you want to chat some more about it, let's take it to DM.

Old 10-08-2010, 12:30 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,404,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexHwyMan View Post
I'm not trying to make an argument over this. I was just saying that it's one of my pet peeves when I see people complain to the media about something instead of notifying the responsible party, whether that be a government agency, business, school, HOA, in-laws, etc. If the shoe fits, then I'm sorry.

"Promptly" to me would have been to call 311 that day.

I have chastised others who have vented about something here and not gone and reported it. It's fine to vent, but if it's something that's bothering you enough to vent about it and you actually want it fixed, then it seems like you should also be willing to take the time to report it to the people who are responsible for it.

You can have the last word if you want it. If you want to chat some more about it, let's take it to DM.

Oh lordy...the melodrama! I thought this thread was on page 2 or 3 by now.

Oops, was I supposed to DM that to you?

"Just when I think I'm out...they pull me back in!"

Old 10-08-2010, 01:36 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,026,845 times
Either way, whether she contacted them that very same day or let the news get on it, the city failed. Why does someone have to contact them to get the Alamodome cleaned up? Who's responsiblity is it, and why aren't they meeting those responsibilities? If I had a 3-1-1 at my job, I guess I'd just sit on my ass all day and wait till someone notices that I'm not doing what I'm supposed to do, and then I guess I'd go do it.

Old 10-08-2010, 03:59 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,875,771 times
bark, bark, bark, bark

Sometimes it does take that to change something in the city. I think 3-1-1 has a clear purpose, it is our responsibility to inform the city, but honestly it does not matter to me if someone goes to the news if the job gets done. They need business too.

Speaking of which according to the KSAT report, "On any given day, hundreds, if not thousands, of people have to shuffle through the covered walkway to get from the east parking lot to the front doors of the Alamodome."

So hundreds, or thousands, of people pass through there everyday? Yet only one family was horrified (lol)? Concerned citizen or just someone wanting to make a big brujaja? Meh, it doesn't really matter but hopefully this way it will stick in their mind lots longer and become a priority. I would have been disgusted too, I don't think I woulda called the news, unless I really wanted attention.

Quote:
They were horrified when they figured out the droppings were coming from bats concealed in the slats above the walkway.
Smelly Bats Make Big Mess At Alamodome - San Antonio News Story - KSAT San Antonio (http://www.ksat.com/news/25232151/detail.html - broken link)

If this was a place that the person who complained visits frequently though and not just a one time visit then maybe they were just not seeking attention and actually were concerned.

Last edited by Merovee; 10-08-2010 at 04:08 PM..

Old 10-08-2010, 04:15 PM

Do we know she called the news? I thought the news station got the story from here. It matters ZILCH anyway. There's a problem, obviously, and it's being addressed. Case closed.

Old 10-08-2010, 04:23 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,875,771 times
Indeed case closed when it comes to that problem. TexHwyMan still has a point, which is another issue, which obviously is not 'case closed' if you resurrected this thread just to comment on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Why does someone have to contact them to get the Alamodome cleaned up?
The point being they did not have to contact them necessarily, they could have contacted 3-1-1.

Old 10-08-2010, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
Indeed case closed when it comes to that problem. TexHwyMan still has a point, which is another issue, which obviously is not 'case closed' if you resurrected this thread just to comment on it.

The point being they did not have to contact them necessarily, they could have contacted 3-1-1.
WHY DOES 311 NEED TO BE CALLED??? Why aren't they taking care of this on their own? That's MY point. As I said, it's silly to me that you have to call the city so the city can do their job. Sorry you are misunderstanding what it is I'm saying. I did not resurrect the thread. It was not dead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio