Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 05:45 PM

2,324 posts, read 3,931,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post
Austin, TX? Austin has more amenities than San Antonio it seems, yet they don't have any major sports teams.
FBS college football gets higher television ratings than the NHL, NASCAR, MLS, and everything else aside from the NFL, NBA, and MLB.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2010, 05:57 PM

927 posts, read 1,389,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
It is going to matter if it is the taxpayers unless they somehow get snookered into it by this SA2020 marketing blitz by Castro. Very reminiscent of Henry C's Target '90 which in part led to the construction of the Alamodome.

Horse before the cart.

Those major or 'great' cities also have core industry and commerce to support the amenities you are thinking of. We do not.

What you propose is part of the ghetto mentality that keeps our city behind, the idea that having nice flashy bling is more important than having necessities.
The idea that we have to be a big city with big city things only leads to a boon for construction companies and concession stands.

A major sports franchise is nothing but bling and without the corporations that other cities have to support theirs. We are going to do nothing but add more low skilled jobs to our city which it does not need at this moment and then expect the taxpayers to foot the bill if we want another dome.

I hope the citizens are not snookered again into building any more domes. Some of us have accepted our status as a mid-size city. We can be great and are in our own way, not where we are always hoping to compete with other cities, or wish we were more like them, we are not. We won't be great either by building things to attract people who do not live here. We will only become a greater city by improving our city so that it is nicer to live in for us, the citizens, and not just for those involved in the tourist industry.

We need to focus more on controlling urban sprawl, alternative forms of transportation, more educational opportunities (not to compete with Austin but to form an educational mecca with them), attracting training for skills, industries to go along with that, and more major corporations.
You and I see things differently and that's ok. The great thing about living in a society such as ours is that we can agree and disagree with other people and government policies etc.

I still think NFL football would be great for San Antonio. And contrary to what you believe our local business sector is plenty big enough to support NFL football and MLB.

Old 09-26-2010, 09:02 PM

9,848 posts, read 13,685,580 times
I know a lot of you are NISD parents. Have any of your considered the alternative of having graduation at Paul Taylor Field House off of 410/Culebra with like an 8 ticket limit? Wow. Since '03 all NISd schools, and for that matter a few other districts have taken to the dome for graduation. It's allowed the district to open up seating and to get graduation done more quickly.

Old 09-26-2010, 09:46 PM

841 posts, read 1,746,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
I know a lot of you are NISD parents. Have any of your considered the alternative of having graduation at Paul Taylor Field House off of 410/Culebra with like an 8 ticket limit?
You got 8 tickets? Back in the day, we each started with 6 (I think) and then had to stand in a line for extras. I will tell you that it seemed impressive to have standing room only.

I know that many districts have historically used the Freeman Colliseum for graduations.

Old 09-27-2010, 08:27 AM

9,848 posts, read 13,685,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montirob View Post
You got 8 tickets? Back in the day, we each started with 6 (I think) and then had to stand in a line for extras. I will tell you that it seemed impressive to have standing room only.

I know that many districts have historically used the Freeman Colliseum for graduations.
I don't remember, it could have been 6. We were the first class to graduate in the Alamodome so it wasn't an issue. It was like show up and have your family reunion in the Alamodome because seating wasn't an issue.

Old 09-27-2010, 08:42 AM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,731,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bresilhac View Post
You and I see things differently and that's ok. The great thing about living in a society such as ours is that we can agree and disagree with other people and government policies etc.

I still think NFL football would be great for San Antonio. And contrary to what you believe our local business sector is plenty big enough to support NFL football and MLB.
Whether San Antonio could support an NFL team is not necessarily the point. There is no way that the Dallas and Houston NFL owners are going to allow San Antonio to have an NFL team. And a dome would need to be built somewhere between here and Austin to capture that market. But the politicians would probably want it built somewhere more for an economic stimulus

Old 09-27-2010, 09:08 AM

810 posts, read 1,424,833 times
Quote:

Horse before the cart.

Those major or 'great' cities also have core industry and commerce to support the amenities you are thinking of. We do not.

What you propose is part of the ghetto mentality that keeps our city behind, the idea that having nice flashy bling is more important than having necessities.
The idea that we have to be a big city with big city things only leads to a boon for construction companies and concession stands.

A major sports franchise is nothing but bling and without the corporations that other cities have to support theirs. We are going to do nothing but add more low skilled jobs to our city which it does not need at this moment and then expect the taxpayers to foot the bill if we want another dome.

I hope the citizens are not snookered again into building any more domes. Some of us have accepted our status as a mid-size city. We can be great and are in our own way, not where we are always hoping to compete with other cities, or wish we were more like them, we are not. We won't be great either by building things to attract people who do not live here. We will only become a greater city by improving our city so that it is nicer to live in for us, the citizens, and not just for those involved in the tourist industry.

We need to focus more on controlling urban sprawl, alternative forms of transportation, more educational opportunities (not to compete with Austin but to form an educational mecca with them), attracting training for skills, industries to go along with that, and more major corporations.
Well said.

Old 09-27-2010, 11:10 AM

927 posts, read 1,389,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGJ View Post
Whether San Antonio could support an NFL team is not necessarily the point. There is no way that the Dallas and Houston NFL owners are going to allow San Antonio to have an NFL team. And a dome would need to be built somewhere between here and Austin to capture that market. But the politicians would probably want it built somewhere more for an economic stimulus
For the 15 millionth time. Jerry Jones and Bob McNair do not have the power to unilaterally prevent the league from placing a team in San Antonio. There are 32 owners in the league and Jones and McNair are just 2 votes. Do the math. If the majority of owners allow the league to place another team in Texas it will happen. It's that simple.

I do agree with placing a new Dome on the outskirts of town to attract Austin people however. And, as I said before a new Dome should not be built until a franchise commits to coming to San Antonio. How it would be financed is another story. Owners like the Spanos' in San Diego would be willing to fund their own building if the price of land was cheap enough.

The bottom line is that if there is a will there's a way. Thankfully we have a visionary for a Mayor and other forward-thinking city leaders that will make the idea of NFL and MLB come about for the city.

Old 09-27-2010, 11:18 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,398,571 times
Quote:
It is going to matter if it is the taxpayers unless they somehow get snookered into it by this SA2020 marketing blitz by Castro. Very reminiscent of Henry C's Target '90 which in part led to the construction of the Alamodome.

Horse before the cart.

"Ghetto mentality" and "bling"? You keep saying these two words in reference to the NFL as if you know what they mean...and I don't think you do.

Old 09-27-2010, 11:20 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,398,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGJ View Post
I don't think Houston cares. It's Dallas that would suffer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio