U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 11:31 AM

927 posts, read 1,207,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
I don't think Houston cares. It's Dallas that would suffer.
Dallas would lose a considerable number of viewers with an NFL team in San Antonio but suffer they wouldn't. With the largest fan base in the league they would still easily remain one of the most, if not the most, popular and financially successful teams in the league. A San Antonio team would not affect that at all.

In fact one could posit that the Dallas Cowboys would become even more popular with a healthy rivalry with a San Antonio team much like the heated Spurs-Mavericks rivalry. The Mavericks seem to exist only to play the Spurs. And during the NBA season Mavericks-Spurs tickets are a hot commodity in Dallas. Especially during the playoffs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2010, 12:07 PM

15,062 posts, read 19,636,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bresilhac View Post
For the 15 millionth time. Jerry Jones and Bob McNair do not have the power to unilaterally prevent the league from placing a team in San Antonio. There are 32 owners in the league and Jones and McNair are just 2 votes. Do the math. If the majority of owners allow the league to place another team in Texas it will happen. It's that simple.
And what makes you think that 30 owners are going to vote "for San Antonio" instead of voting for their 2 friends?

Or you think that they don't have a buddy system (help each other) in that group?

Old 09-27-2010, 12:36 PM

399 posts, read 1,027,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
The best solution I see for the Alamodome is to bring a soccer team.
The largest soccer specific stadium in MLS (Major League Soccer) has capacity for 27,000. And 2 MLS team play in it.

In the NFL the Alamodome is a pos, but in MLS it would be clearly the best stadium for many years.
You stated why the MLS wouldn't work at the Alamodome. It's too big. The MLS wants soccer-only stadiums, not retrofitted NFL or MLB stadiums. That's why the Dynamo left San Jose for Houston, the promise of a soccer-specific stadium. Also, they require natural grass, is anyone old enough to remember what happened when Roy Holfeinz tried to grow grass inside a dome?

The best shot for MLS in SA is Alamo Stadium. It's the perfect size and SAISD could make some money off of the team as well.

Old 09-27-2010, 12:43 PM

6,878 posts, read 18,181,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bresilhac View Post
Dallas would lose a considerable number of viewers with an NFL team in San Antonio but suffer they wouldn't. With the largest fan base in the league they would still easily remain one of the most, if not the most, popular and financially successful teams in the league. A San Antonio team would not affect that at all.

In fact one could posit that the Dallas Cowboys would become even more popular with a healthy rivalry with a San Antonio team much like the heated Spurs-Mavericks rivalry. The Mavericks seem to exist only to play the Spurs. And during the NBA season Mavericks-Spurs tickets are a hot commodity in Dallas. Especially during the playoffs.
Well, suffer might not be the right word, but they'd lose a LOT of fans. I will have to disagree that a team here would not affect them.

Old 09-27-2010, 02:20 PM

810 posts, read 1,246,442 times
Should we change the name to “The Alamo Dump”?

Old 09-27-2010, 02:24 PM

3,669 posts, read 5,900,820 times
I am all for simply razing it and adding another campus, like the Downtown UTSA one on the west end of downtown, but have this one on the east end of downtown.

Old 09-27-2010, 02:27 PM

5,142 posts, read 11,449,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
I am all for simply razing it and adding another campus, like the Downtown UTSA one on the west end of downtown, but have this one on the east end of downtown.
That might just work. Another campus for UT Health Science Center perhaps?

Old 09-27-2010, 02:32 PM

3,669 posts, read 5,900,820 times
Even one for ACCD that focuses on new students doing their basics would be a boon. As is most newly enrolled college students are unable to take college level courses. Perhaps a department that focuses solely on preparing high school graduates for college, I know, I know, the high schools should have done this, but they have not, so we should.

If not as you stated, I am sure UT Health Science Center, Incarnate Word, OLLU, or some other university here is in need of a satellite campus with a central location.

Old 09-27-2010, 04:36 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,331,609 times
I'd love to see the AlamoDud bulldozed.

For me, it's one of the few remaining reminders of Henry Cisneros, who in my opinion, did a slew of craptastic things to San Antonio. How he's heralded as some kind of Kennedy-like figure in this town is beyond me, but most of what he did was rushed, ill-advised and hasn't stood the test of time.

... The Alamodome being a main eyesore of his former tenancy. I think it's time we call this one a turkey, tear it down and start again from there. I'm not saying another 'dome' is the way to go, but getting rid of this money pit is a good way to start the renewal process.

BN

Old 09-27-2010, 06:23 PM

15,062 posts, read 19,636,914 times
Taking the Alamodome down won't be cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio