U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 03:29 PM

6,878 posts, read 18,216,480 times

Advertisements

We went to the Alamodome today to attend the San Antonio Home and Garden show. Earlier this year we went to the Alamodome to see Disney on Ice with our daughter--we noticed then that it was a bizarrely lengthy walk to get from parking lot C to the entrance--lots of twists and turns and stairs just to get about 500 feet as the crow flies. While the engineering that went into that is befuddling all on its own, allow me to share with you the ungodly odor that emanated from the tunnel where you have to walk once you get down the series of steps. DH looked at me and said, "That smells almost like cat urine." as we got closer to the tunnel, the smell got worse, and when we looked down, that was when we saw the mouse droppings--everywhere. I mean EVERYWHERE. You couldn't avoid them. The smell of mouse urine was revolting. You could hear them under the rafters just a-squeakin' away, quite loudly--DH said there must have been quite a large colony thanks to the cricket population this year. Freaked me OUT...we carried the girls so they wouldn't step in any of it, but we couldn't avoid it ourselves. Everyone who parked in lots C&D (where most people have to park) have to walk that way to get to the doors.

The other thing we noticed was that any landscaping that was ever done before to the walkway is gone now--just barren-looking landscape river rocks remain on the way to to the front doors. It is really sad. The City really needs to do something with that place or just tear it down. Yuck.

OTOH, the Home Show was very nice. We have pretty much decided on a Caldera Spa from Sweetwater, and putting in a Flagstone patio. So that was good....but I sure hope they find a new venue next year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2010, 03:34 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,822 posts, read 33,213,308 times
It's 18 years old, which is ancient by the NFL's standards and truly unfortunate since it was built specifically to attract the NFL. It costs the city over $1 million/year to maintain it, even though it's used fewer than 30 days a year. My guess is that the city won't ever tear it down until the taxpayers commit to building something better.

I feel sorry for the businesses like Sunset Station whose owners probably thought they were set for decades, being located next to the city's largest venue. It's no wonder no similar businesses have chosen to locate in the AT&T Center's neighborhood.

Old 09-25-2010, 03:35 PM

6,274 posts, read 9,036,323 times
Don't tell her about the cockroaches they found in the food vendors areas...

Old 09-25-2010, 03:42 PM

4,155 posts, read 4,730,544 times
Walking around inside it was dark and reminded me of something of out the old East Germany or Communist USSR. Dark, ugly, and grey.

Old 09-25-2010, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
It's 18 years old, which is ancient by the NFL's standards and truly unfortunate since it was built specifically to attract the NFL. It costs the city over $1 million/year to maintain it, even though it's used fewer than 30 days a year. My guess is that the city won't ever tear it down until the taxpayers commit to building something better.

I feel sorry for the businesses like Sunset Station whose owners probably thought they were set for decades, being located next to the city's largest venue. It's no wonder no similar businesses have chosen to locate in the AT&T Center's neighborhood.

Me too, Bowie!! It is really so neat over there, with the train station and that whole area that looks like it is (or was) restaurants and galleries! Such potential too for even more growth. So sad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Don't tell her about the cockroaches they found in the food vendors areas...

AAAACCCK!!! That reminds me of a story about the Astrodome and some bug bombs after the whole Katrina evacuee thing...I wish I could remember the details, but it had something to do with how many giant cockroach carcasses they found over the next few days...

Old 09-25-2010, 03:53 PM

4,149 posts, read 9,326,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
We went to the Alamodome today to attend the San Antonio Home and Garden show. Earlier this year we went to the Alamodome to see Disney on Ice with our daughter--we noticed then that it was a bizarrely lengthy walk to get from parking lot C to the entrance--lots of twists and turns and stairs just to get about 500 feet as the crow flies. While the engineering that went into that is befuddling all on its own, allow me to share with you the ungodly odor that emanated from the tunnel where you have to walk once you get down the series of steps. DH looked at me and said, "That smells almost like cat urine." as we got closer to the tunnel, the smell got worse, and when we looked down, that was when we saw the mouse droppings--everywhere. I mean EVERYWHERE. You couldn't avoid them. The smell of mouse urine was revolting. You could hear them under the rafters just a-squeakin' away, quite loudly--DH said there must have been quite a large colony thanks to the cricket population this year. Freaked me OUT...we carried the girls so they wouldn't step in any of it, but we couldn't avoid it ourselves. Everyone who parked in lots C&D (where most people have to park) have to walk that way to get to the doors.

The other thing we noticed was that any landscaping that was ever done before to the walkway is gone now--just barren-looking landscape river rocks remain on the way to to the front doors. It is really sad. The City really needs to do something with that place or just tear it down. Yuck.

OTOH, the Home Show was very nice. We have pretty much decided on a Caldera Spa from Sweetwater, and putting in a Flagstone patio. So that was good....but I sure hope they find a new venue next year.
The winding areas are because of the train tracks and the way they had to engineer around them.

Those were bats. Not mice. They live under the bridge.

Old 09-25-2010, 04:03 PM

2,260 posts, read 4,952,391 times
I have a deep-seated...I'll say it...hatred for the Alamodome. It's just a colossal waste of real estate and money. It's also butt-ugly, and I agree that the walk in from the parking is ridiculously convoluted.

Old 09-25-2010, 04:09 PM

3,669 posts, read 5,917,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
truly unfortunate since it was built specifically to attract the NFL. It costs the city over $1 million/year to maintain it, even though it's used fewer than 30 days a year.
grrr >_<

I wonder what the future holds for the dome but the conditions M2F reported are not acceptable, not if this is going to be one of the first and most lasting impressions visitors will have whose main interest and reason for visiting SA is an event at the dome.

Old 09-25-2010, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
The winding areas are because of the train tracks and the way they had to engineer around them.

Those were bats. Not mice. They live under the bridge.

Okay, well, this was not bat guano. These were mouse droppings. What can I tell ya?

I think a pedestrian bridge could have taken care of the ol' train track problem, rather than, oh, I dunno, a 1/2 mile of winding opportunity to lose your wallet, car keys, and cell phone at gunpoint.

Old 09-25-2010, 04:19 PM

1,314 posts, read 2,779,034 times
So here's a question for ya-- did you call the City and report it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio