Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 11:29 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,890,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneOf48 View Post
Oh, please!!! Stop replying with this stock response. San Antonio is a DEMOCRATIC city, and has been for a long time. We have a great recycling program, and alternative energy is one of the big policy pushes for UTSA and the city as a whole. We've been expanding hike and bike trails throughout the city for a long time (as you yourself consistently point out, majormadmax, as a biking aficionado).

There are those who live far out from the city center and imagine that San Antonio is a conservative, gun toting mecca. The great majority of the city is not that way. Take it from me--a vegetarian, left-wing, pro-gay equality, evolution-teaching resident who has never taken flack from ANYONE in this city for my ethical or political beliefs. And I associate with all sorts of people, whether at bars, restaurants, or grocery stores.

And the vegetarian options in this city are more than enough to keep me satisfied.

You'll be fine here. Not everyone will be like you, but they'll be friendly. I see "liberal" bumper stickers in this city all the time, and letting people know that you're an atheist and an environmentalist should cause absolutely no ill-will. (And nothing the OP said was "preachy," so please don't accuse her of that.)
Seriously? You paint a picture like this is San Francisco, not San Antonio!

San Antonio may be democratic, but it sure is conservative and even you have admit that when someone sees a car here with some "liberal" bumper sticker on it the first thing they think is that some pinheads from Austin are visiting again!

About the only reason a liberal, tree-hugging, vegetarian, left-wing, pro-gay equality, evolution-teaching resident survives in this city is because San Antonians are friendly by nature. But start running off at the mouth about it, preaching to folks about how wrong they are for wanting to eat beef, drive a SUV or trying to save some exotic bug, or that they are descendants of monkeys, and see how far you get!

Old 09-27-2010, 12:03 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,844,926 times
Wow, way to make us look backward. Maybe it is that way among older folks but the younger generations are not like that at all.

Most people here do not care either way and will not automatically claim your views are 'disparaging' just because they disagree with them unless they are some intolerant person without people skills.

While we are more conservative generally we are also quite apolitical overall. Of course no one wants to be preached to and for the most everyone knows not to discuss politics or religion with those outside of their circle, well almost everyone.

It also depends where you work at. Places on base or around the military will offer a different work environment than can be found among the general public. I often have had to sit through others talking to each other or trying to talk to me about their views which were quite conservative. Of course that is to be expected and when you can steer the conversation to something other than politics then mostly everyone is friendly and likeable.

Of course others discussing politics is the least of my worries, it doesn't happen often as is, a greater problem might simply be finding any topic of interest to discuss. For the most I find many of my co-workers dull...people around town as well, hard to find anyone who reads books for example.

Old 09-27-2010, 12:13 AM

71 posts, read 110,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneOf48 View Post
Oh, please!!! Stop replying with this stock response. San Antonio is a DEMOCRATIC city, and has been for a long time. We have a great recycling program, and alternative energy is one of the big policy pushes for UTSA and the city as a whole. We've been expanding hike and bike trails throughout the city for a long time (as you yourself consistently point out, majormadmax, as a biking aficionado).

There are those who live far out from the city center and imagine that San Antonio is a conservative, gun toting mecca. The great majority of the city is not that way. Take it from me--a vegetarian, left-wing, pro-gay equality, evolution-teaching resident who has never taken flack from ANYONE in this city for my ethical or political beliefs. And I associate with all sorts of people, whether at bars, restaurants, or grocery stores.

And the vegetarian options in this city are more than enough to keep me satisfied.

You'll be fine here. Not everyone will be like you, but they'll be friendly. I see "liberal" bumper stickers in this city all the time, and letting people know that you're an atheist and an environmentalist should cause absolutely no ill-will. (And nothing the OP said was "preachy," so please don't accuse her of that.)
You sure about the recycling? I saw an article last year touting out San Antonio was terrible with their recycling program.

Old 09-27-2010, 12:25 AM

71 posts, read 110,660 times
Also, as others have said, San Antonio may vote Democratic, but they do not vote that way like people in San Fransisco or Boston vote for. Most the people here are low-to middle class who vote blue, these people in fact though, are usually religious(Hispanic Catholics)....so they may be liberal on most issues, but with ones the op maybe concerned with, probably not.

People, voting Republican or Democrat does not mean a city supports ALL what a party stands for. Every city has their own "brand" of politics. Being very conservative, I like San Antonio. I don't mind we vote mostly blue, our leadership is not a bunch of nuts like a lot of people from say San Fran.

Old 09-27-2010, 01:29 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,415,779 times
You will mostly need a car in San Antonio. San Antonio is very spread out and the Via bus system is not very efficient because this city was not built like a grid. I believe there is a mixed use neighborhood near the Stone Oak area.

We have a few farmers' markets. There is a Whole Foods near 281/410, a Sun Harvest on Nacogdoches/410, I think there's still a Sun Harvest near 281/1604, and another one somewhere else. There is also a Central Market on Broadway near Hildebrand.

I've been to several elementary schools, 2 middle schools, 1 high school, and I graduated in 2004. Texas pretty much skips over the "how we got here" subject. We were not taught Creationism and I don't remember learning much of anything about evolution.

If you are a Caucasian person married to a Hispanic person, you should have no problems. If you are an African American man with any other race, you should fit right in. San Antonio is a majority minority, but I wouldn't call being mostly comprised of two races "diverse." We are about 57% Hispanic, 32% white, 7% black, and 3.5% other.

Honestly, people are going to get angry if you try to shove anything down their throats. The young people here will get angry if you try to shove religion down their throats. I'm pretty much half conservative/half liberal or just flat out middle of the road, moderate, whatever you wanna call it. I'm sure there are environmental groups here; they had managed to halt construction on 281 for awhile. Austin is more open-minded. If it weren't for the terrible layout of that city causing bad traffic, I would probably move there.

Old 09-27-2010, 01:51 AM

744 posts, read 1,840,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by etznab View Post
I'm considering a job offer in San Antonio. If I accept, I would be working in the Centerview Crossing office complex at Callaghan and Loop 410. I'm ideally looking for a short commute. What neighborhoods should I be looking at?

So far I have spent one weekend in San Antonio and it wasn't enough to let me know if this is a good choice for me. I grew up in a big city in the Northeast but spent the last decade living in a medium sized Southern town. One of the things I cherish about my current home is the mixed use developments. Though I definitely need a car, there are some areas where I can actually walk. I didn't see anything like that in SA, other than downtown. But maybe I wasn't looking in the right place?

I also try to buy local and organic food whenever possible and avoid processed foods. What are my options for local shopping and maybe local environmental groups?

I don't have any children yet. But if I do in the future, do I have any options for either a private or public school that treats evolution and global warming as a scientific reality? Or is home schooling my only option?

I'm in an inter-racial marriage. How common is that in San Antonio? I did have a bad experience related to this during my visit. But I'm not sure if that was an isolated aberration, or something I will constantly face.

I believe that all cities have pros and cons. I appreciate any input you can share related to the issues I have asked about.
Evolution is THEORY, not proven reality. Texas schools pretty much skips over any mention of evolution or creationism. I think that is better since they are both controversial subjects.

There are organic foods you can buy at pretty much any grocery store these days.

I don't think you will have much problem with interracial marriage in San Antonio.

Above all, don't go around being all preachy and acting like you are smarter than everyone else. I notice a lot of liberals and atheists are like that and you guys are no better than anyone else.

Old 09-27-2010, 03:23 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,844,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brajohns81 View Post
Darwin himself was not even an atheist.
Then that should tell you something.

I dislike Dawkins and anyone else who subscribes to the conflict thesis aka the belief that religion and science are at odds. Also known as the Draper-White Thesis it has been discounted even if a very uninformed public continues to argue and debate.

I find that science and religion serve different purposes but are both useful in my life and are not at odds at all.

I believe in theistic evolution which is not a scientific theory thus has no place being taught in science class. Basically it is the acceptance of the modern theory of evolution (the kind that belongs in a science class) but with the belief that God is behind it all (which is a personal belief not grounded in science at all).

In either case I am glad such discussions are not the usual ones anyone has around town and are mainly found on the internet. The OP should not worry that such strong, yet uninformed, opinions will ever find them here in town or at the workplace where such discussions are usually frowned upon and not even brought up for the most.

Speaking of controversy though once a year on San Pedro street they have that day where all the pro-lifers line up on one side of the street and all the pro-choice folks line up on the other side. Everyone is holding up signs and being festive while motorist drive up or down the street honking. It to me is pretty much proof that San Antonio is balanced when it comes to social issues but also that the general public only concerns thesmelves with such issues one day out of the year with little thought for them during the rest of the year.

Old 09-27-2010, 08:16 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 37,960,312 times
That's enough talk about things that are only on-topic in the Religion forum or P&OC. Let's get back to posts about San Antonio that will be helpful to the original poster.

Old 09-27-2010, 08:51 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,174,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by etznab View Post
I'm considering a job offer in San Antonio. If I accept, I would be working in the Centerview Crossing office complex at Callaghan and Loop 410. I'm ideally looking for a short commute. What neighborhoods should I be looking at?

So far I have spent one weekend in San Antonio and it wasn't enough to let me know if this is a good choice for me. I grew up in a big city in the Northeast but spent the last decade living in a medium sized Southern town. One of the things I cherish about my current home is the mixed use developments. Though I definitely need a car, there are some areas where I can actually walk. I didn't see anything like that in SA, other than downtown. But maybe I wasn't looking in the right place?

I also try to buy local and organic food whenever possible and avoid processed foods. What are my options for local shopping and maybe local environmental groups?

I don't have any children yet. But if I do in the future, do I have any options for either a private or public school that treats evolution and global warming as a scientific reality? Or is home schooling my only option?

I'm in an inter-racial marriage. How common is that in San Antonio? I did have a bad experience related to this during my visit. But I'm not sure if that was an isolated aberration, or something I will constantly face.

I believe that all cities have pros and cons. I appreciate any input you can share related to the issues I have asked about.
how you handle your views will make a difference. To be honest, much of Texas is on the conservative side, not Bible Belt or Bible Thumpers, but religiously conservative compared to some states. Being a tree hugger and not having any religious views will be accepted as long as you don't flaunt your beleives or lack of same.

This doesn't mean you will not meet people who share your feelings, but you will be in the decided minority for sure.

Nita

Old 09-27-2010, 10:24 AM

186 posts, read 687,857 times
King William, Monte Vista, Olmos Park, Alta Vista, - probably your best bets. I live in Alta Vista and love the uniqueness of the homes there - places to walk and very close to a diverse downtown.

Pretty close to Alamo Heights too where the central market is - I love it! Whole foods is available at the quarry as well.

Can't answer for the city but I personally have no problem with your interracial relationship
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio