Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 07:45 AM

7 posts, read 20,219 times

Advertisements

I'm considering a job offer in San Antonio. If I accept, I would be working in the Centerview Crossing office complex at Callaghan and Loop 410. I'm ideally looking for a short commute. What neighborhoods should I be looking at?

So far I have spent one weekend in San Antonio and it wasn't enough to let me know if this is a good choice for me. I grew up in a big city in the Northeast but spent the last decade living in a medium sized Southern town. One of the things I cherish about my current home is the mixed use developments. Though I definitely need a car, there are some areas where I can actually walk. I didn't see anything like that in SA, other than downtown. But maybe I wasn't looking in the right place?

I also try to buy local and organic food whenever possible and avoid processed foods. What are my options for local shopping and maybe local environmental groups?

I don't have any children yet. But if I do in the future, do I have any options for either a private or public school that treats evolution and global warming as a scientific reality? Or is home schooling my only option?

I'm in an inter-racial marriage. How common is that in San Antonio? I did have a bad experience related to this during my visit. But I'm not sure if that was an isolated aberration, or something I will constantly face.

I believe that all cities have pros and cons. I appreciate any input you can share related to the issues I have asked about.

Old 09-26-2010, 08:17 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,399,779 times
I dunno, but I always think it's kinda strange that anyone really worries about people in a town caring if they are atheist, agnostic, etc in these relocation question threads. We'd get these questions in Houston too, and it's like, wha? I always find myself scratching my head.

I guess you get what you put out there. If you're going to shout to your neighbors that you're an atheist, well, who knows...but honestly...if you're just YOU and not labeling yourself, people are going to be a lot more receptive. It's just the way of the world.

Old 09-26-2010, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by etznab View Post
I don't have any children yet. But if I do in the future, do I have any options for either a private or public school that treats evolution and global warming as a scientific reality? Or is home schooling my only option?
All public schools treat the Theory of Evolution as "scientific reality". It's a real problem for many Christians that believe in Creationism or the Gap Theory. You won't have any problems with this, I can assure you.

Old 09-26-2010, 10:15 AM

18,125 posts, read 25,266,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
I dunno, but I always think it's kinda strange that anyone really worries about people in a town caring if they are atheist, agnostic, etc in these relocation question threads. We'd get these questions in Houston too, and it's like, wha? I always find myself scratching my head.
The reason people do that... is that some cities are more welcoming to certain type of people than others.
Maybe you haven't have to live in a place were most people don't like something that you like or your religious beliefs.

I'm not going around shouting that I rather speak Spanish than English.
but I can tell you that I feel 1000 times more comfortable speaking Spanish in San Antonio than I did in Missouri.

Old 09-26-2010, 11:22 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
Quote:
What's the biggest Texas news story that people outside of Texas have heard for the past year? The numerous controversies over school textbooks.

I see plenty of snide comments about that in the General US forum, which is where posters from all over the country post. Like it or not, it's coloring outsiders' perceptions of the entire state.

Old 09-26-2010, 11:42 AM

5,642 posts, read 15,705,582 times
Honestly, SA is probably not for you.

Old 09-26-2010, 11:47 AM

615 posts, read 1,522,314 times
For example, in Massachusetts... I got flipped off, just because I drove a Camaro. If you didn't drive a yuppy prius, you were shunned. They actually try and make you feel ashamed for being a conservative. So glad I'm out of that dump. No pride for the military or veterans.

Old 09-26-2010, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
What's the biggest Texas news story that people outside of Texas have heard for the past year? The numerous controversies over school textbooks.

I see plenty of snide comments about that in the General US forum, which is where posters from all over the country post. Like it or not, it's coloring outsiders' perceptions of the entire state.
Well, yeah, but if they're listening to the stories, they know that the controversy is over what is CURRENTLY in there--evolution.

So....until that changes, no sweat for these folks.

Old 09-26-2010, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
The reason people do that... is that some cities are more welcoming to certain type of people than others.
Maybe you haven't have to live in a place were most people don't like something that you like or your religious beliefs.

I'm not going around shouting that I rather speak Spanish than English.
but I can tell you that I feel 1000 times more comfortable speaking Spanish in San Antonio than I did in Missouri.

The OP has no religious beliefs.

Further, I can understand you feeling more comfortable speaking Spanish in San Antonio. That makes sense. What doesn't is you going to the Missouri forums and asking "I speak two languages, will that be a problem?"

Old 09-26-2010, 12:56 PM

18,125 posts, read 25,266,042 times
Quote:
The OP has no religious beliefs.

Further, I can understand you feeling more comfortable speaking Spanish in San Antonio. That makes sense. What doesn't is you going to the Missouri forums and asking "I speak two languages, will that be a problem?"
I didn't understand your question (problems with your English?) but here's a similar thread that I found in the Missouri forum.
Mexican--Best place to live in MO?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio