Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 11:47 AM

7 posts, read 46,456 times

Advertisements

I have very basic Time Warner Cable and am getting ready to get a new HDTV. I'm thinking of switching to U-Verse or even simply getting an OTA roof top or inside antenna, since there are very few stations that I watch, i.e., KLRN, and the other basic ones. Re/signals, I'm not far from Churchill High School. I have no idea what kind of antenna might work, or if this is even a good idea at all.
Thanks for any suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2010, 12:23 PM

475 posts, read 1,093,744 times
Try this to figure what size/type of antenna you should consider...

Address (http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/Address.aspx - broken link)

Old 09-26-2010, 12:32 PM

18,123 posts, read 25,266,042 times
Here's a thread about it that I started and has a lot of information.

BTW, an HDTV antenna is not necessary.
Right now I'm using a normal antenna downstairs and a hanger upstairs and I get all the channels from San Antonio.

HDTV in San Antonio

This page shows you what channels you should be able to get with your zip code.
After putting your zip code, you can move the marker and put it right on your house to be more accurate.

The digital TV transition: Reception maps

Old 09-26-2010, 12:38 PM

4,323 posts, read 7,228,886 times
By "basic", do you mean the package that is something like $20 per month, has the local channels and not much else? If you get a new HDTV, and it has what is called a "QAM" tuner (which they almost all have), you should be able to get the local channels in HD without a set-top box and without additional charge.

As for getting the local channels via OTA, an indoor antenna might work, but you would almost certainly get better results with a rooftop antenna. You would need a VHF/UHF combination antenna in any case. You should be able to disconnect your Time Warner cable outside the house, then connect your rooftop antenna to the grounding block where you disconnected the cable, and you should have OTA TV wherever you had Cable before.

I have an old directional rooftop antenna aimed toward Elmendorf, and I am getting all the local channels without an amplifier or rotator (just inside NE Loop 410). I can also get channels 2.1 (MyNetwork) and 2.2 (THIS TV) off the backside of the antenna. Those two are probably the most difficult to receive in San Antonio.

I don't know of any place in town that actually stocks traditional directional outdoor antennas anymore. You can order them through Radio Shack or Walmart, in addition to a number of other online sources.

Old 09-26-2010, 12:48 PM

18,123 posts, read 25,266,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
As for getting the local channels via OTA, an indoor antenna might work
Upstairs (2nd floor) I'm using an indoor antenna that I made with a hanger and I get all the channels from San Antonio even though I live in the Schertz area.

Old 09-28-2010, 03:24 PM

Yes, I have the basic TW bundled with Roadrunner.
Thanks so much for your info. re/antenna and the QAM tuner. I'd seen it on the specs when shopping, but I really didn't know what it was.

Old 09-28-2010, 03:28 PM

That's cool! I thought they were just for roasting marshmallows.

Old 09-28-2010, 03:30 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
When you get your new HDTV, all that it will cost you to test your OTA reception is whatever you pay for an indoor antenna. I occasionally use one that cost less than $10, but the nicer looking antennas will likely set you back $20 - $30. There are no fees to receive HD signals OTA.

Even if you go with cable, cable sometimes can go out for a few hours. The set top antenna could be a handy thing to have if your cable goes out right when your favorite show is on.

Old 09-28-2010, 03:31 PM

Thanks!!

Old 09-28-2010, 03:35 PM

That's a good idea about the extra antenna when the cable goes out.
Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio