Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 12:57 AM

1,131 posts, read 1,712,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meisha210 View Post
I think people in the majority often have absolutely no clue of what people in the minority have to deal with.
EXACTLY.....in so many ways.....

For years I have also heard enough other people also state the same thing.....

Of course, I suppose each of us do not know a lot about others in said myriad ways.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2010, 12:30 PM

3,955 posts, read 7,197,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneSA View Post
If I was that worried about racism where you live now. Why wait 4 years?
One of the things I loved about SA is the lack of racism. I moved to SA from the northeast. I know what you mean about don't go here if your white, don't go there if your black,
In SA, there is no feeling of racism. There are areas that are designated as white, black, or Mexican. East side is black, west side is Hispanic, North side is white. BUT, you will find all kinds of people in all areas. There are many eclectic mixed neighborhoods. You can go into any area without fear becasue of your color.
Overt racism does not exsist in SA. Indiviuals, yes. But not the perverse tension that exsists in other parts of the country.
Your just going to add to the blend.
I'm from Los Angeles and have visited SA twice. I can say that from what at least I saw and felt, there is far less racial tension there than LA.

Old 10-04-2010, 02:33 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,390,063 times
Default For whatever it is worth Dopo,

And with all due respect to you, on the topic of comparing racism in Detroit, mi to the racism in San Antonio what I wrote of does not concern only three incidents in Detroit. Once again, evident are widespread attitudes and personal demeanors that would appear evident to any bystander having spent any considerable amount of time in Detroit.
These were not peaceful or easy to miss persons or incidents. One could ignore or choose not to notice these behavior patterns, yes.
If you choose not to believe this, so be it. It can be alarming though- what transpires in plain view in the inner city there.
I would add this however, the destructiveness does come in from both sides of the racial divide.
One side in the suburbs and the other side downtown.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I don't like those esterotypes,
I've met all type of different people of all races everywhere.
I've met black people "up North" that worked just to buy alcohol and party
and I've met black people that came from nothing and became more successful than most American.

If you tell me that more than 80% of X are a certain way... I'll buy it.
But most of the time people stereotype millions of people based on what they saw 3 people doing.

Old 10-05-2010, 05:53 PM

21 posts, read 60,497 times
I moved from Warren, Michigan 10 years ago and I agree there are certain areas in all the Southern half of the state you don't go to if you are white and other areas you will be questioned if you go into and you are black (You just learn to drive quickly through these areas). Unfortunately, much of this has to do with crime and gangs. I know many inter-racial couples that also know that there are some places you just don’t go to without being harassed or badgered. I am white I was denied a jobs in Detroit simply because of that fact. I actually knew the girl who got the job and we laughed about it later because she only stayed there for 2 months before all the racist remarks started to bother her too much to stay there.
The same thing does exist in San Antonio but it is not as overt. I have lived in San Antonio for almost 5 years and have been informed by several co-workers the areas in South San Antonio where I should not go, because I am white. However, these areas are small and are not areas I am really interested in going to. I have been denied a teaching job here because I am not Hispanic (the person interviewing me actually asked if I had any Hispanic background and if I spoke Spanish). I have had two experiences in restaurants where the waitstaff refused to service my party because everyone was white (The waitstaff was Hispanic).
However, I have never been yelled at in San Antonio simply because of my race and this did happen in Detroit where I was called a “skinny a$$ white b_t_h” while walking into a K-Mart store for no reason.

Old 10-05-2010, 06:16 PM

54 posts, read 111,335 times
We had no problem moving into an all black neighborhood, but they had a problem with us.
Im sure its the socioeconomical area in which we are in rather than the color, but its still rather depressing coming here eager to experience other races and cultures and getting ignored at best.
The kids get bullied and called names and are told "we dont talk to peoples like you."
Hubby and I frequently remind the kids that these neighbors do not represent the whole race but Ive already seen how wary they've become.
This is the 2nd residence we've experienced this in.
Being poor puts us in a limited position for housing (no state help tyvm) but at this point if we have to live in a cheap neighborhood, Id rather it be mostly white. Sad to say.

Old 10-05-2010, 06:17 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,046,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtom View Post
I have had two experiences in restaurants where the waitstaff refused to service my party because everyone was white (The waitstaff was Hispanic).
Please share the information of the restaurants (or you can DM me with the info if you don't want to share it in public. I can keep a secret).

Old 10-05-2010, 07:29 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,875,771 times
The lasts few posts reflect negatively on our city and shows intolerance works both ways. I'm kind of skeptical about these two restaurants.

Old 10-05-2010, 08:35 PM

18,129 posts, read 25,278,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
Once again, evident are widespread attitudes and personal demeanors that would appear evident to any bystander having spent any considerable amount of time in Detroit.
As a black-hispanic that lived more than a decade in the Ozarks in Missouri,
I could easily say that all white people in Missouri are racist with plenty of evidence to back it up.

Guess what... I don't like stereotypes, so I don't do it even in that case that I could easily say it.

Old 10-06-2010, 06:12 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,985,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillCountryHotRodMan View Post
Please share the information of the restaurants (or you can DM me with the info if you don't want to share it in public. I can keep a secret).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
The lasts few posts reflect negatively on our city and shows intolerance works both ways. I'm kind of skeptical about these two restaurants.
I am very suspicious of this claim, being that I have never heard of anyone being denied service in this city because of their race...

Granted, we've eaten at a few places that had pretty lousy service; but I never attributed that to being because of our race. I usually keep a good eye out for how other customers are being treated when this happens, and in every case it appeared to be the same for everyone or the fact that we had an inexperienced or lousy waiter/waitress.

In my travels I see a lot of US cities were race is still an issue, but not San Antonio. This is one of the friendliest and most welcoming places I have been to in this country, which is one of the reasons we decided to stay here once I retired from the military. I am not denying the possibility, but in my seven years total time in SA, I have never witnessed any such discrimination nor have I ever heard of it from those I work with...

Cheers! M2

Old 10-06-2010, 01:18 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,875,771 times
That is true, I have never seen this type of discrimination either.

Most restaurants though do display signs that state they have the right to refuse anyone service. If someone is acting too loud, being rude, hassling the staff then I can see a whole group being asked to leave.

I am not accusing the poster's group of anything but I really do not see any other reason someone would be told they are going to be refused service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio