Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 05:47 PM

21 posts, read 60,476 times

Advertisements

The first restaurant that there was a problem at was Jim's at Huebner Road and I10. There were only two of us (both white). The restaurant was not in a rush period but was a little busy. One small group was waiting for a table when we walked in. We gave our name and waited. In fact, we waited while three other groups came in and were seated. I went back up to the greeter who took our name and asked her about this and she said “Oh well, you just have to wait, sit back down and we will get to you.” I asked to see the manger, and I watched one girl walk over to the manager to get him. The manager looked at us and then shook his head and waved his hand at us as if dismissing us. It’s just funny that everyone working there was Hispanic and the three groups that came in were Hispanic (in fact two of the groups were speaking Spanish when they arrived).

The second restaurant was Texas Land & Cattle Steak House on the Riverwalk. This one really surprised me. There were four people in our party (3 white and 1 black). We were seated very quickly, but the waitress went completely around us waiting on other tables. We each tried to get the waitress’ attention while sitting at the table when this didn’t work, I got up and walked over to the waitstaff area, they all kept working but I finally nabbed one and asked for the manager. When he came over to our table he wouldn’t even look at us, but he said he was sorry and that someone would be right over. This was after we had sat there for 15 minutes, after another 10 minutes we left. This incident might have more to do with having an inter-racial couple then true racism, so I’m sorry it came off that way in my first post.

And just for the people who need one more case of racism in San Antonio check out the Best Buy at I410 and Wurzbach Road. We had a problem there with a charge and we were told by the cashier to go to customer service. After waiting there for a while and watching the only person behind the counter talking on the phone the entire time, we asked to see the manager. We could see the manager sitting in a chair behind the service area, when an associate went and told him we wanted to see him; the manager just shrugged. After about 10 minutes the manager walked out and right by us. We figured the manager did not realize that we were the people waiting for him, so my husband walked up to him and touched his shoulder, and I mean barely touched, because my husband only used his finger tips to let the man know we were standing behind him. The manager turned around and began yelling and claiming assault. While we were standing there waiting for the police (yes, the manager called the police). We hear two employees behind us saying that the “white” people should know better than to come in here. When the police officer finally arrived and we got our refund we were walking out the door with the officer, a different group of employees were there talking about “white” people. The officer actually heard them talking and as we were standing outside and talking to the officer he suggested that we just go up to a different Best Buy and that this location just wasn’t worthwhile.

To anyone reading this they can take it as they want. If someone wants to deny racism is in this city there is no way I can change their opinion, but racism does exist everywhere and it can and does affect every race.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2010, 06:12 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,044,257 times
dtom, I'm sorry to have to tell you.... but I do not believe a single word of this. Especially about the I-10 and Huebner Jim's restaurant since it is one of my old haunts.

Nothing personal.... by the way, 410 & Wurzbach Best Buy? Where's that?

I've lived here a long time and though I have felt that people were rude or just plain toots because of my race, I just can't buy that store employees and a manager at a Best Buy would openly talk about whites not belonging in the store. Just too far fetched... and if it really did happen that way, then I apologize.

Old 10-06-2010, 06:41 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,116,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillCountryHotRodMan View Post
.Nothing personal.... by the way, 410 & Wurzbach Best Buy? Where's that?
It's near Ingram Park Mall near the access road. This particular Best Buy has Wurzbach Road behind it.

Old 10-06-2010, 07:04 PM

18,125 posts, read 25,266,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtom View Post
To anyone reading this they can take it as they want. If someone wants to deny racism is in this city there is no way I can change their opinion, but racism does exist everywhere and it can and does affect every race.
I can't stand when people take a bad experience and instantly say that it was racism.
I've had clerks ignored me and service a white customer when it was clear that I was there first. Was it racism? Maybe, but I don't know.

You want to know what racism is like?
I stopped at a Burger King in Mid-Missouri that was completely empty
walked in and looked at the menu. A guy came from the back to take my order
the second that he saw me he said out loud "Black cat" the way people would say "We have customers"
I told him to have a good day and went to eat somewhere else.

Old 10-06-2010, 07:08 PM

I'm really sorry that you feel this city is beyond this type of action, but this does prove that many people ignore these types of situation or are just so unaware of their surroundings that they do not realize what is happening. If people would acknowlege that these things do occur and take a stand against them and assist the people at the time they are occuring, we really would be able to eliminate all racism one day.

Old 10-06-2010, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeet09 View Post
It's near Ingram Park Mall near the access road. This particular Best Buy has Wurzbach Road behind it.
Thanks. That's the location I shopped at until they opened the Alamo Ranch one.

Old 10-06-2010, 07:13 PM

Dopo....You just did exactly what you said you did not like. I hope some day you realize how hypocritical this sounds.

Old 10-06-2010, 07:13 PM

Quote:
If people would acknowlege that these things do occur and take a stand against them and assist the people at the time they are occuring, we really would be able to eliminate all racism one day.
I acknowledge that they occur (though not as elaborately as you claim), I just choose not to let somebody of some other "color" dictate how I'm going to feel about myself. I don't give a rat's behind about the heritage or skin color of people. If people don't like me because I'm chez whitey, screw 'em. I have more important crap to deal with other than the every day pettiness of this dadgum city. If people fail to see me as a human being beyond my skin color, it's their problem, not mine.

Old 10-07-2010, 01:13 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,471,290 times
I have no comment on dtom's experiences, but I have witnessed racism towards everyone in this city. An older white woman who has lived in SE San Antonio her whole life told me the clean white kids at school get lice from the dirty Mexican kids. An older white woman in Sears stopped me and my cousin to ask if we knew where she could find a motorized chair because the Jews won't help her and then she went on to say it was impossible for the Nazis to kill that many people. When I went to predominantly Hispanic schools, the kids would often call the white kids "white bread" and "cracker." I got into an argument with one Mexican girl and she called me the n-word. Where do you think elementary school kids pick this up? It comes from their homes.

Another incident was in my training class at Via. This lesbian girl (Hispanic) said that she didn't know how her lesbian friend could date a dark-skinned black girl because they all stink. The light-skinned black girls are fine, but the dark-skinned ones are dirty. That girl was always saying stuff several feet behind me thinking I couldn't hear. I was almost glad when she stupidly hit a car with her bus going less than 5mph.

Old 10-07-2010, 04:36 AM

1,131 posts, read 1,712,530 times
Quote:
Agreed. It seems to be immortal.....

I recall a time when I was a young kid and I actually really did truly think that racism was an archaic thing that had actually died-out way back in the past. Back in the early 60s, say.....

Then I got older and saw that it only insidiously-evolved and got sneakier in a million different ways.....sometimes it even shakes your hand and wears a charmingly-warm smile.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio