Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 02:39 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,712,823 times

Advertisements

Poor girl.....may she rest peacefully now.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2010, 02:40 PM

Years ago I finally realized that listening to the radiomusic while driving in my then-truck took me to WAY TOO MANY CLOSE CALLS while out on the roads.....so I finally ripped-out the thing.....and I finally quit having said close calls.....

An ex-bandmate friend of mine also attested to exactly the same thing when I one day noticed the radio was ripped-out from HIS vehicle.....

These days I have a different truck but I again also disabled the radio {and no earbud music for me also}. I love music way too much and so it really is not long before I begin to hypnotically home-in on the drums and bass.....and the next thing you know: *AAAAAHHHHH!*

I don't think it's just drinkdriving and texting alone that are the guilty culprits.......

Old 09-30-2010, 02:53 PM

472 posts, read 1,076,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
I'll bet the skill set of the driver was lacking as well. Speed is a result of the drivers foot pressing on the gas pedal because the brain says to do it. Why not blame the state of Texas for not having more stringent driving tests?
Thank You!

Old 09-30-2010, 03:06 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,724,397 times
Basically the prevailing theory is that you are propelling 1-3 tons of steel down the road and yet actual "driving" has become secondary to everything else going on in the car. In many ways, I am glad the girl in the story hit a tree. She might have hit someone else.

Driving has gotten to the point where not only do I have to pay attention to what I am doing, I have to pay attention to what you are doing because you arent.

Times like this I am glad I work from home.

Old 09-30-2010, 03:51 PM

905 posts, read 2,959,217 times
The speed limit on that part of the parkway changes from 55 to 45 before you get to that curve in the road. I can't figure how the accident happened, as it really isn't that much of a curve, unless the driver was going in excess of 55 mph or somehow impaired/distracted. There was another wreck there during spring break where another young lady was killed, and the news report I read said there had been other accidents as well. There must be some reason why that particular section of road has had issues. I'm curious to see what the results of the study are. I would hope they would lower the speed limit to 40 or 45. I know there are many that may not like it, but it might save more lives....

Prayers for the Moreno family. RIP, Angelica.

Old 09-30-2010, 04:15 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,105,348 times
That same stretch of Wurzbach Parkway claimed the life of a 17 year-old Churchill student earlier this year. There's still a roadside memorial for her at the last curve before the road connects to Blanco. It sounds like this accident was in the same general area.

Old 09-30-2010, 05:34 PM

18,129 posts, read 25,278,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backliteyes View Post
Keep in mind that the speed limit is not the speed minimum. The speed limit is not responsible for someone's decision to drive an unsafe speed.
Most drivers rely on the speed limit signs to know what speed is safe to drive on a road.
That's why you see signs on sharp turns that are yellow to let people know that is not safe to drive there at the speed that they were driving.

There's many place in San Antonio (Wurzbach on the NE side) that don't have signs like this one.

Old 09-30-2010, 05:59 PM

1,314 posts, read 3,177,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I don't know exactly how it happened, but I bet that that was a factor.
I wonder if maybe she didn't swerve to avoid a deer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxysw View Post
Do acccident have to happen in order for things to be right? That is the question of the day
It's a Catch-22. It's only when there is a history of accidents at a location that it can be identified as being problematic. If there is not a history of wrecks at a location, then there's probably not an issue there, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Everytime I've driven on Wurzbach Parkway on the NE side I've thought that the speed limit is way to high for the curves on that road.
When that section was originally opened, the speed limit was 45 mph. Folks complained that it was too low, so the City raised it to 60 mph.

Old 09-30-2010, 06:23 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,875,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexHwyMan View Post
I wonder if maybe she didn't swerve to avoid a deer.
That is a possibility and did not read anything that would make it necessarily the driver's fault.

As far as the speed limit that might very well prove to be an issue and perhaps a contributing factor.

Quote:
Hallie and Sierra's father, who did not speak to us on camera, believe that stretch of road is too dangerous, and the speed limit should be lowered. It drops from 55 miles per hour to 45 miles per hour before the curve. However, Hallie says too many people go speeding through there. Hallie would also like to see a more obvious sign, alerting drivers to the curve ahead.

A Texas Department of Transportation spokesperson says three people have died there since 2007, but they don't intend to lower the speed limit at this time.

"There's not a high number of accidents that would be the contributing factor for us to lower the speed," spokesperson Laura Lopez said.

There are no barricades in that stretch, but Lopez says they wouldn't have made a difference because the drivers veered off the road and did not cross oncoming traffic.

However, Lopez says TxDOT engineers will study the area after this second accident and will make safety recommendations based on what they find. News 4 WOAI will let you know what happens.
After second fatal crash, friends and family say Wurzbach Parkway isn't safe | WOAI.COM: San Antonio News

Old 09-30-2010, 07:21 PM

Ugh.....for years I personally have definitely felt that Wurzbach Parkway has always had that treacherously-dangerous feeling as opposed to most other local stretches I have driven.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio