U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 09:58 AM

8,400 posts, read 20,109,630 times

Advertisements

I know bad drivers threads are discussed ad naseum on here, but this recent fatal accident highlights the tragedy can result.

I am leaving out the details in respect to the victim's family and friends; but note everything that this particular young lady had to live for, as it is all lost now...

Quote:
Fatal Crash Victim Identified

A person killed in a single-vehicle crash on the North Side early Wednesday morning has been identified as Angelica Moreno, 24, by the Bexar County medical examiner's office.

Officials said Moreno was speeding while driving a Honda sedan east on Wurzbach Parkway and lost control at a curve in the road. The Honda struck a light pole and several trees...

In 2006, Moreno was named one of the top 10 finalists in the “Hottest Latina” contest featured in Conexión, a sister publication of the San Antonio Express-News.

At the time, Moreno was a marketing major at St. Mary's University.

http://media.mysanantonio.com/images/Angel+MORENO+185.jpg (broken link)
I am posting this with the hope that it will remind all of us how quickly a bad decision behind the wheel can have disastrous results. Moreno had everything to live for, but all was lost in a moment.

May she RIP, and hopefully we can learn from this tragedy!

Cheers! M2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2010, 10:09 AM

15,062 posts, read 19,631,781 times
Everytime I've driven on Wurzbach Parkway on the NE side I've thought that the speed limit is way to high for the curves on that road.

I don't know exactly how it happened, but I bet that that was a factor.

Old 09-30-2010, 12:12 PM

2 posts, read 6,941 times
God Bless Ms Moreno family . She is in a better place look at all she has accomplished, at 24 what a good girl.

Old 09-30-2010, 12:15 PM

2 posts, read 6,941 times
Sometimes things happen for a reason someone made a comment about the area wurzbach about how the speed limit is to high for the curve. Probably the city councilman need to know that ,in order to change speed limit around that area so another tragedy wont happen like this again . Do acccident have to happen in order for things to be right? That is the question of the day

Old 09-30-2010, 12:35 PM

7,649 posts, read 8,096,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxysw View Post
Sometimes things happen for a reason someone made a comment about the area wurzbach about how the speed limit is to high for the curve. Probably the city councilman need to know that ,in order to change speed limit around that area so another tragedy wont happen like this again . Do acccident have to happen in order for things to be right? That is the question of the day
In other reports they said the city was now doing a study on the area.

It is tough to say that things arent right, now. Speed seems to be a factor in both accidents. If the road is safe for the posted speed limit (people sometimes forget the meaning of the word "limit") does it need to be made safer for exceeding the limit? Not sure.

Old 09-30-2010, 12:53 PM

15,062 posts, read 19,631,781 times
Just to clarify...
I read that the accident was on the NW side.

The area that I said the speed limit is too high is on the NE side.

Old 09-30-2010, 01:21 PM

15,924 posts, read 17,378,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Everytime I've driven on Wurzbach Parkway on the NE side I've thought that the speed limit is way to high for the curves on that road.

I'll bet the skill set of the driver was lacking as well. Speed is a result of the drivers foot pressing on the gas pedal because the brain says to do it. Why not blame the state of Texas for not having more stringent driving tests?

Last edited by plwhit; 09-30-2010 at 01:30 PM..

Old 09-30-2010, 01:59 PM

8,400 posts, read 20,109,630 times
Quote:
Just to clarify...
I read that the accident was on the NW side.

The area that I said the speed limit is too high is on the NE side.
Actually, it happened almost due north of downtown; Where Wurzbach Parkway ends/meets Blanco...

Old 09-30-2010, 02:01 PM

3,929 posts, read 4,687,049 times
Most of us could use a somber reminder to keep the speed down to what's realistically safe, zero cell phone use ever while driving, zero drinking before/while driving, obey the laws, pay attention to what's important (driving, not other things). A lot of tragic and unnecessary deaths and injuries from accidents lately. The one that was nearest to us out here was a biker on a Harley that tried to pass the car ahead of him by going across the center line of the highway, hitting an oncoming pickup head-on. Biker was dead and the occupants of the truck were treated and released.

Old 09-30-2010, 02:12 PM

932 posts, read 1,748,912 times
Quote:

Keep in mind that the speed limit is not the speed minimum. The speed limit is not responsible for someone's decision to drive an unsafe speed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio