U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 02:41 PM

3,669 posts, read 5,902,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meisha210 View Post
Again, you are comparing race (something someone has no control over) to dress (something we have complete control over). There is good and bad behavior; there is not a good and bad race.
They are both forms of intolerance. Do you feel that they do not deserve protection because it would take away protection from other groups? If so how many people in these other groups who do 'deserve protection' do you know in San Antonio that have been intimidated to the point of suicide?

However you would answer those questions they are the wrong questions because they focus on the wrong issue.

I do not think we need another group to get 'special rights' and protection. What I do believe the appropriate issue here is just bullying in general, it does not matter who it is being done to, we need to focus on the bullies and their behavior, that is what is wrong with bullying, the behavior of the bully.

Still though you now you are equating alternative fashions with bad behavior? Or is it the fantasy roleplay you are comparing to bad behavior?

Quote:
Psychological tests are given for certain positions. Do I think someone with a mental illness should have a job that requires carrying a gun? No, I do not. Someone who is not of sound mind cannot even get a CHL. You can't deny certain people have limits, that is why the government bans employment discrimination if a person can perform a job with 'reasonable accommodation.'
So how does this apply to those kids? Are you still attempting to equate them, loosely or not, with having mental illness, all of them, really you did a whole battery of tests on all of them?

Obviously the two victims had psychological issues that led to suicide but it is an illness that can be overcome. That is not the context though in which you have introduced accusations of others being unfit to work because of mental instabilities.

Quote:
We know more about their home lives than we know about the bullies. CPS has documented certain situations; do we have any specifics on the bullying?
We definitely require specifics on their domestic situation if we are to begin commenting because it is so easy to assume and be way off mark.

On the other hand most understand how bullying works. Maybe though some are too old to understand how it has changed.

Long ago there were not very many fashion choices, most people dressed and looked the same, society has grown so much especially with the social networking component. Imagine your being bullied not being just a school day incident but forever enshrined on youtube? It does not even have to be forever and can just be up for a week.

Jefferson H.S. student punished over posting fight video online | kens5.com | San Antonio News, Weather, Sports, Traffic, Entertainment, Video and Photos

Gossip, rumors are not the same due to texting. Parents also need to control their children more in this area but that does not seem likely.

Did anyone read the story regarding the rumors of violence that was supposed to happen at two NISD schools?

Why so soon after the suicides would these rumors be spreading through Facebook and texting (according to the article)? It is easy to understand that school violence like Columbine is a response to bullying, some just cannot take it and lash out, so if these kids are scared of something like that happening at their schools it is not that great of a leap to know bullying is occurring and is a problem.

Investigating rumors about threatened violence at area high schools | WOAI.COM: San Antonio News

Did anyone read the article that John Jay was ranked number one for fights? Did schools need rankings in the past?

Quote:
Not that it justifies the bullying, but it would be interesting to know if the students dressed different because they really are different or do they make it a point to be different. I knew one boy in high school who seemed to do things to constantly draw attention like carve "satan" and "murder" into his arm on the school bus, say creepy things to his female classmates, and sing metal music loudly during lunch. Either he was really mentally unstable or he was just looking for attention. I have no shame in saying that I would not want my children hanging around a guy like him if I had any. But I don't think anyone would invite bullying to the point of driving themselves to suicide.
The two statements I placed in bold above seem contradictory to me. One does not wish to justify bullying but speaks casually about how one can invite bullying? Really? Victims of bullies invite it so it is their fault? That is like saying a woman invited rape.

The only person responsible for bullying is the bully.

Most of these kids most likely dress differently and only interact with those in their group. I doubt they are going up to the other kids that are not in their group and attempting to socialize with them, show them arm carvings, tell other classmates creepy things, or sing metal music loudly lol...

Most people who are in cliques that revolve around alternative fashions stick to themselves (that is the point) and if bullying is involved it is usually unwanted and uninvited attention from the bullies that go out of their way to menace others.

I think the issue for some is they believe that bullying is acceptable to make people conform and since it is something they have chosen themselves that is it on them.....that is just wrong though. No one should be beaten or abused in any form just so they have to submit and do what others want, be it act a certain way, dress a certain way, cook a certain way, etc...

Last edited by Merovee; 10-04-2010 at 02:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2010, 06:08 PM

1 posts, read 1,714 times
He was such an hero, to take it all away. We miss him so, That you should know, And we honor him this day. He was an hero, to take that shot, to leave us all behind. God do we wish we could take it back, And now he's on our minds. Adrian was an hero, to leave us feeling like this, Our minds are rubber, our joints don't work, Our tears fall into abyss. He was an hero, to take that shot, In life it wasn't his task, He shouldn't have had to go that way, before an decade'd past. Now he sits there in my heart, this hero of mine, Always there to make me smile, Make me feel just fine. He had courage, that boy did, courage in his heart. To take that shot, To end his pain, To tear us all apart. But in the end, he died in courage. Lacking, nevermore, He died an hero, Adrian did, And we'll love him forevermore. We love you like an brother. We miss you so much. We will always love you, kid. Rest In Peace Adrian. ~Crimson Blood Wolf Pack

Old 10-04-2010, 06:45 PM

39 posts, read 87,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MudkipzAcronym View Post
He was such an hero, to take it all away. We miss him so, That you should know, And we honor him this day. He was an hero, to take that shot, to leave us all behind. God do we wish we could take it back, And now he's on our minds. Adrian was an hero, to leave us feeling like this, Our minds are rubber, our joints don't work, Our tears fall into abyss. He was an hero, to take that shot, In life it wasn't his task, He shouldn't have had to go that way, before an decade'd past. Now he sits there in my heart, this hero of mine, Always there to make me smile, Make me feel just fine. He had courage, that boy did, courage in his heart. To take that shot, To end his pain, To tear us all apart. But in the end, he died in courage. Lacking, nevermore, He died an hero, Adrian did, And we'll love him forevermore. We love you like an brother. We miss you so much. We will always love you, kid. Rest In Peace Adrian. ~Crimson Blood Wolf Pack

Ummm... yeah. Sorry for your loss.
Oh! SATs are coming up soon.

Old 10-04-2010, 06:56 PM

6,878 posts, read 18,184,655 times
Quote:
He didn't die a hero. At all. Just so you know.

Maybe someday you will understand that.

Old 10-04-2010, 06:59 PM

932 posts, read 1,750,122 times
Quote:
Whoa, this thread just lost all respectability now that it's been taken down to the "an hero" level.

Don't take the bait people, you're being trolled.

Old 10-04-2010, 07:03 PM

2,216 posts, read 3,985,271 times
yeah, I'm thinking it's time the thread is just closed for that very reason.

Old 10-04-2010, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatotex97 View Post
I'm sorry but if a kid comes over to my house with a tail and chains and tells me they are half wolf and only half human I will be intolerant. My right as a parent. To each his own.......
Freakin-A yes. I will also call them a complete idiot as they are going out the door and if they don't like it, too damn bad.

Jeez, what happened to just dyeing your hair green or getting a mohawk?

The fact that anyone is even validating this emo-oxycontin-twilight induced idiocy by actually calling them by their stupid name...ugh....I mean REALLY??? WOLF PACK???

I weep for the future.

Old 10-04-2010, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backliteyes View Post
Whoa, this thread just lost all respectability now that it's been taken down to the "an hero" level.

Don't take the bait people, you're being trolled.
"respectability"??? LMAO!!

Old 10-04-2010, 07:13 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,500,377 times
Default Harassment is harassment; legally-defined or otherwise.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
An impotant question to me would be "Did the bullying begin pre-tail and fangs, or post-tail and fangs?" Not to "justify" the bullying but even one of the counselors admitted that when the students dressed in such a manner, it pretty much invited bullying.
Agreed, something like a tail-and-fangs can definitely invite bullying, but then again if it is not that then bullies will often look for SOMETHING/ANYTHING to start out on be it skin colour, sexual orientation, mannerisms, dress, religious beliefs, whatever.....even something like musical preference or even if one happens to be a skateboarder, believe it. I myself used to skateboard for years so yeah, even that alone can stoke violentminded, drunken, guntoting types who happen to be driving around to start in with hurting others, as personal experience has shown.....

As I once heard a guy say about different-looking folks: "Yeah, something out of the mainstream".....

Interestingly, I also did once hear another saying elsewhere once: "Often, a big mouth invites trouble.".....but then again, big mouths can certainly be found on outlandish-looking kinds and otherwise, aye.......

Old 10-04-2010, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
...those intolerant of such superficial diversity (fashion, imagination, etc..) makes me wonder how they face diversity that is more deeply ingrained (ethnicity, sexual orientation, etc..)

In either case it is just prejudice if one thinks it. As soon as one opens their mouth and makes derogatory (or even negative) comments based on someone else's differences it becomes discrimination. As soon as they do it in front of their children it becomes a legacy. Not that I am accusing anyone here of doing that, I have no clue how anyone is here with their children, but just food for thought that some should be mindful of what they say out loud.

The more I read your posts, the more I realize you are not nearly as wise as you believe you are. What this means is your numerous posts of deity of the day-given wisdom are too much for my little tiny brain to take. I'm afraid I am going to have to put you on ignore so I do not have to read another thought that flows from your brain to your fingertips.

Sorry Bowie. I just can't take it anymore! I feel like Eddie Chiles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio