U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 11:47 AM

3,669 posts, read 5,898,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
It beats lacking a living, breathing child that you didn't get help for. I'd rather lack the "win" thankyouverymuch.
If suicide is involved then yes take your child to a psychologist or a counselor regardless of any fashion or roleplay considerations.

Now that two have committed suicide among their social circle they are indeed at a greater risk for suicide, just as anyone from any type of social circle or sphere would also be at a greater risk if they have familiarity with a recent suicide victim.

If you are suggesting though that all kids anywhere in general who are roleplayers or pursue alternative fashions are also at risk for suicide then that view is rather exaggerated.

Last edited by Merovee; 10-05-2010 at 11:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2010, 12:02 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,330,683 times
Well, this local issue just ties into the larger national issue now of young, gay teenagers committing suicide at an alarming rate.

This isn't an issue of parenting needing to be tougher on their kids- It's about parents really listening to their teen's issues, no matter what they are or what is said. Accept your child. Love your child. If there's bullying going on at school, it's high time educators step up and take a stand against this kind of crap. Control your environment.

Tonight on Larry King Live! – Larry King Live - CNN.com Blogs (http://larrykinglive.blogs.cnn.com/2010/10/04/tonight-on-larry-king-live-183/ - broken link)

Don't want to totally hijack this thread, but it was something that's been in the media over the last few days. It's just heartbreaking that young people feel that being dead is the better answer. There need to be more resources for teenagers to talk out their feelings with qualified people versus them feeling like they're constantly hitting brick walls.

BN

Old 10-05-2010, 06:58 PM

2,790 posts, read 5,169,627 times
BN, you couldn't pay me to be a teenager in this day and age.

Noooooooooooooooo way!

Old 10-05-2010, 08:29 PM

14,613 posts, read 31,142,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
If suicide is involved then yes take your child to a psychologist or a counselor regardless of any fashion or roleplay considerations.
Isn't it a little too late if suicide is involved?

Look, you do your kids, I'll do mine. Obviously we disagree on what's normal and acceptable ( in our households ). If you're fine with your children running around believing they are half ____________, then hey, I'm fine with that, FOR YOUR KIDS, as well. If mine happens to tell me that he's really wishing he could sport a tail and some fangs, I would have to cross that bridge, but I damn sure wouldn't support him in his efforts to look like a wolf.

I'm a bad mommy.

Old 10-05-2010, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Isn't it a little too late if suicide is involved?
If this is a suggestion that pretending to be a wolf will lead to suicide then it is a suggestion that is still off the mark.

Quote:
Look, you do your kids, I'll do mine. Obviously we disagree on what's normal and acceptable ( in our households ). If you're fine with your children running around believing they are half ____________, then hey, I'm fine with that, FOR YOUR KIDS, as well. If mine happens to tell me that he's really wishing he could sport a tail and some fangs, I would have to cross that bridge, but I damn sure wouldn't support him in his efforts to look like a wolf.
That does not make you a bad mother, rather the opposite. What you allow your child is within your right and no one is contesting that.

The line for bad parenting is only crossed once a parent make childish jokes or negative comments about these other kids. It would also be crossed if a parent were to make childish jokes or negative comments toward their own child if they one day decided to adopt an alternative fashion.

It also does not matter whether I am fine with it or not, or you are, that is irrelevant and does not change the fact that parents who trash talk set an example which can then have a negative impact on others.

One can dispute the above fact, one can ignore it and continue to make immature remarks, and rather insensitive ones knowing a suicide has been involved which demonstrate a basic lack of respect....so of course I am not surprised if there areimmature parents making dumb commentary on others who are the peers of their child as if they were children themselves, as if they have a clique mentality and that clique is not for their kids, etc...

Old 10-05-2010, 08:43 PM

14,613 posts, read 31,142,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
If this is a suggestion that pretending to be a wolf will lead to suicide then it is a suggestion that is still off the mark.
If the suicide has happened, it's too late for that kid, that parent, that circle of friends. I never suggested that dressing up like a wolf will lead to suicide. Never. You like to make leaps and you really need to get that under control.

Old 10-05-2010, 08:55 PM
RGJ

1,902 posts, read 4,014,890 times
I dont' buy into any of this BS. If someone wants to kill themselves, without any regard to what they leave behind, then I don't really care. I feel sorry for those that loved this person, but I dont' feel sorriy for the person themselves. I've had several of my friends do this for a variety of unknown, and stupid, reasons.

Parents want to allow their teenager still living at home to have ear piercings, tatoos, lip piercings, bone in their nose, wolf tails etc. Then they get what they get. Sorry. It's not the kind of environment I lived in, and it will damn sure not be the kind of environment my kids will live in...........

Last edited by RGJ; 10-05-2010 at 09:29 PM..

Old 10-05-2010, 09:08 PM
RGJ

1,902 posts, read 4,014,890 times
And Merovee, while I might, just might, tend to agree with you somtimes on a few things, you tend to get off of somewhere else that's a little difficult to follow

Old 10-05-2010, 10:28 PM

4,796 posts, read 13,712,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGJ View Post
And Merovee, while I might, just might, tend to agree with you somtimes on a few things, you tend to get off of somewhere else that's a little difficult to follow
this....yeow

Old 10-06-2010, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGJ View Post
I dont' buy into any of this BS. If someone wants to kill themselves, without any regard to what they leave behind, then I don't really care. I feel sorry for those that loved this person, but I dont' feel sorriy for the person themselves. I've had several of my friends do this for a variety of unknown, and stupid, reasons.
Depression is a sickness that causes suicide. Not exactly a 'variety of unknown and stupid reasons'.

If someone claims the reasons are 'unknown' how can they further state the reasons are also 'stupid' as if the reasons suddenly are no longer unknown to them. It is either known or unknown.

I understand though the average person, through no fault of their own, lacks awareness in some of these issues.

No worries either if the above was difficult to follow for you as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio