U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 07:41 PM

2,790 posts, read 5,168,693 times

Advertisements

I guess that's along the lines of what I would share with the younger generation. Growing old(er) is very rewarding. Gives much opportunity for retrospect (not necessarily regret). One being healthy, the other being unhealthy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2010, 07:55 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,330,035 times
I think here in the States, our society takes the overall attitude that if it doesn't involve me directly, I'm not going to touch it. 'Getting involved' takes too much work for most people and if there's a chance that the con will outweigh the pro, folks aren't going to help. It unfortunately reminds me of my time living in Manhattan, where people literally would walk over mugging victims as if nothing ever happened.

Bullying functions in much the same way: I know for a fact that educators aren't always stepping in, stopping and offering a safe-haven for students who are getting tormented. These aren't just GLBT kids: This is everyone... Blacks, Whites, Asians, Hispanics, the handicapped, etc. It needs to stop. It's easy to say 'well, toughen up,' but when you're the only gay/lesbian/black/hispanic/down's syndrome kid in your town (or one of few), it feels like the whole world is against you. Your support system is zero.

The Trevor Project is amazing. If you don't know much about it, here's the link to learn more.

The Trevor Project - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Personally, I was never bullied for being gay growing up. It's likely because I played sports and was a 'jock,' but also just as likely that I was taller than my classmates and could have easily beaten the crap out of anyone who made a comment. I was lucky: I have an accepting family and my coming out experience was smooth. Most kids aren't as fortunate. Not only are they getting bullied at school and church, but can't be themselves at home either. It's a lose-lose situation.

Incredibly sad.

BN

Old 10-05-2010, 07:58 PM

2,790 posts, read 5,168,693 times
I agree and would rep' your post if I could! People are all different but just won't let each other be!

Old 10-05-2010, 08:26 PM

15,062 posts, read 19,621,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminNicholas View Post
I think here in the States, our society takes the overall attitude that if it doesn't involve me directly, I'm not going to touch it.
That's exactly what I was saying with the first post, and nobody says anything about this.
Why doesn't anybody else stand up to the bully?

Growing up, people picked on smaller kids, but if somebody went too far with that.... you could be sure that somebody would show up and tell them:
"Since you are so tough with little kids, I want to see you kicking my ...."
Usually, whoever said that, had a few KOs under his belt.

Old 10-05-2010, 08:33 PM
RGJ

1,902 posts, read 4,013,970 times
I was what you might would called "bullied". If that's the term.
But it was taken care of with an older brother, or a Louisville Slugger, or a Dad who confronted the bully's dad, or some really good friends., Where's the problem now a days?

Old 10-05-2010, 08:35 PM

6,257 posts, read 8,985,070 times
It's because we all think that passing another law will "fix" it, so why should WE get involved, and risk being ostrichised for it? Can't have it both ways, folks - there's times that a good, old-fashioned butt-kickin' is the best "fix" for the problem, but no one wants to get that involved any more.
I'll let kids be kids.....up to a point. I'm an ol' Redneck, so if ya finally do sumthin' stupid 'nuff ta get my attention.....ya won't enjoy the results!<g>

Old 10-05-2010, 10:21 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,499,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillCountryHotRodMan View Post
I got bullied in school once until I kicked the punk's !@# and never had trouble again from 7th grade through high school. Guess I should have gone easier on the poor sod. People need fathers who teach their kids how to deal with all the trash in this city. I'm glad I was afforded that luxury.

yeajustme, you're going to find that anywhere you go. Kindness is a thing of the past. Very unfortunate. Didn't have to happen that way, but it did.
"It is better to be the hammer than the anvil." -proverb

Oh, man.....I finally changed in Eighth Grade. I was bullied to tears FOR THE LAST TIME.....thus, I resolved to never allow that to happen again. I was growing so very tired of angrily-hating myself year after year when alone at home or wherever later on for not sticking-up for myself YET AGAIN.....

"A vow unto his own, that never from this day, His Will they'll take away......." -'The Unforgiven'

Confessingly, I became something quite quite intimidatingly-bloodthirsty and abrasively-unpleasant for the next year or so. In surprisingly-short time I noticed that so many of the other wannabe B.A.M.F.s all-around who would previously pick on me {and my Star Trek nerdfriends}, extorting our milkmoney, and would take my sacklunches when I would bring them, etc. actually finally began to keep their distance from me and, as far as I am concerned, basically respect me some. I guess something finally snapped in my head and I was already awake and simply not as hesitant to unleash on whichever one of them came around "looking for some". Ha.....

{if one can find a short story called "SUCKER", I recommend it as some may definitely empathize with the evolution of a particular youngster therein}

I finally began to calm down about a year or so later as I gradually began to notice that most people in general weren't interested in violence {or so it seemed to me}, but I still never forgot what I have actually heard a few times here and there while growing up: "You're not a man if you can't stand up for yourself."

No, I do not literally-agree with every last thing LaVey wrote, but I still find his writings interesting:

9} Give blow for blow, scorn for scorn, doom for doom-with compound interest liberally added thereunto! Eye for eye, tooth for tooth, aye four-fold, a hundred-fold! Make yourself a Terror to your adversary, and when he goeth his way, he will possess much additional wisdom to ruminate over. Thus shall you make yourself respected in all the walks of life, and your spirit-your immortal spirit-shall live, not in an intangible paradise, but in the brains and sinews of those whose respect you have gained. -'The Book of Satan' {FIRE}; Chapter III 9th verse, THE SATANIC BIBLE

"Be as a lion in the path; dangerous, even in defeat." -something I read in 'The Satanic Bible' though I have also heard it elsewhere before

Old 10-05-2010, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
It's because we all think that passing another law will "fix" it, so why should WE get involved, and risk being ostrichised for it? Can't have it both ways, folks - there's times that a good, old-fashioned butt-kickin' is the best "fix" for the problem, but no one wants to get that involved any more.
I'll let kids be kids.....up to a point. I'm an ol' Redneck, so if ya finally do sumthin' stupid 'nuff ta get my attention.....ya won't enjoy the results!<g>
Agreed, sir.......

Old 10-05-2010, 10:48 PM

3,669 posts, read 5,897,807 times
For a time when I was getting bullied the Psalms were a refuge for me. I would read certain ones daily and it was something to keep me grounded.

Deliver my soul from the sword, my darling from the power of the dog. Save me from the lion's mouth: for thou hast heard me from the horns of the unicorns.

-Psalm 23

The best remedy for those who are afraid, lonely or unhappy is to go outside, somewhere where they can be quiet, alone with the heavens, nature and God. Because only then does one feel that all is as it should be.

- Anne Frank

Old 10-06-2010, 03:11 PM

Once I calmed down way back I myself was a Bible-toting Born Again Christian for some years preaching and preaching and preaching.....

Later on I had a change of heart, and mind.....but that's another subject, of course.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or