U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 11-03-2010, 05:13 PM

14,774 posts, read 7,497,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post
You also admitted that you slammed on your brakes with intent to scare those behind you.
No I didn't "intend to" I wanted to and I did. Sorry, I am not one of the "boo-hoo speed kills" crowd.

I'd like to see a study on how many accidents are caused by either slow drivers or drivers who let their attention lapse because they are bored to tears......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 11-03-2010, 05:39 PM

1,720 posts, read 2,596,437 times
did anyone get a ticket on the 410/ culebra speed trap today? I had to admire and i was gladd all those people got their citation must of been 15+ cars in the academy on Military! warmed my heart, I had to exit and o a turn around on ingram to see how many more would get pulled over I gave a thumps up to the two officers on the grass that were aiming the laser! gotta admire our tax dollars hard at work.

Unread 11-04-2010, 04:53 AM

3,042 posts, read 2,482,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svg210 View Post
did anyone get a ticket on the 410/ culebra speed trap today? I had to admire and i was gladd all those people got their citation must of been 15+ cars in the academy on Military! warmed my heart, I had to exit and o a turn around on ingram to see how many more would get pulled over I gave a thumps up to the two officers on the grass that were aiming the laser! gotta admire our tax dollars hard at work.
That's sarcasm, right?

Unread 11-04-2010, 04:24 PM

1,286 posts, read 1,650,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillcountrywinefan View Post
That's your website? Wow. I'd like to thank you for taking the time to collate and publish all that information and the associated photos! Lots of really interesting info on there. Kudos!
It's a labor of love.

Unread 11-04-2010, 10:52 PM

14,774 posts, read 7,497,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robino2001 View Post
I scrolled through all of the responses quickly and did not see anyone have my answer for the original question in the first post...

The simple answer is it's the medical center and a good portion of the drivers there are not used to driving the area/don't drive it daily and are looking for where they are going. It's been that way since I started driving through there in the mid-90's. Sure, infrastructure plays a hand in it, but that's how every large medical center I've driven through often has been (Houston, Dallas, etc).
As I have to go to the Medical Center about every other month AND I really don't know the area so I drive slower then normal to read the street signs and find where the entrances to the parking lots are for the buildings. Another reason I drive slower than normal is because I'm always on the lookout for emergency vehicles.

Unread 11-04-2010, 10:59 PM

5,098 posts, read 4,030,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svg210 View Post
maybe they are being cautious. just because the Speed Limit is 45 doesn't mean people have to drive 45, it means not to surpass that speed.

Before this turns into another stupid driver thread, bottom line: if you can, pass them up. If not enjoy the ride! and move on with the rest of your day.
NO! if the speed limit is 45, you need to be doing 45. if you can't be cautious while doing the speed limit, you don't need to be driving. it's not fair for you to hold up traffic. if i can't pass you up, i WILL lay on the horn

Unread 11-04-2010, 11:11 PM

5,098 posts, read 4,030,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyEng View Post
It's a San Antonio thing, people are notorious for driving incredibly slow. I have live in many places in my life (DC area and ATL included) and I have NEVER seen the amount of buffoonery that goes on here. I think it's a mix of TXDot not engineering the roads correctly (such as the speed limit being 55 MPH west bound on Bandera just outside of 1604 then reducing to 45 once clear of the congested area) and the serious "melting pot" of people here.

It's just the way it is. I adjust my work schedule to try and avoid the "amateur hours"

Oh yeah...I bet a lot of people don't know that San Antonio has a local ordnance that makes the MINIMUM speed 10 MPH under the posted limit. Obviously, it's not enforced.
THIS!! YES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by meisha210 View Post
I also hate when there are only two lanes on a road and both of them are being led by extremely slow drivers making it impossible to go around them......
What I really don't understand are the people who want to drive below the speed limit, I go around them, and a few miles later they decide they want to drive way over the speed limit.
oh man, i used to deal with these exact situations nearly everyday heading south on blanco between 410 and west ave. once you get north of west, driving on blanco is a breeze; but it's something about those several blocks just north of the freeway

at the end of the day, i just have to remind myself that san antonio isn't a "real" big city, so most natives aren't accustomed to moving very fast

Unread 11-25-2010, 02:34 AM

48 posts, read 27,857 times
[quote=TexHwyMan;16187665]
Anytime you change lanes, you have to use your turn signals.

There will always be cases of "bad design" no matter where you're at-- it's not just a SA or TxDOT thing. Sometimes things work better on paper than they do in practice, and sometimes things were designed and built back when the standards and knowledge were different than they are today. Road design, like many other things, is a constantly evolving technology and art.

In the case of the tire marks on the islands, I would say those are mostly the case of driver error-- you see them all over town and all over the country.
[quote]

It's actually not legally necessary to use your turn signal if there are no other vehicles in proximity. (unless that's a texas thing) Also, I've driven in the worst of them, San Fransisco, Atlanta, L.A., Phoenix and all point in between, the design in this town is just horrible. Very little logic, and even less traffic consideration. Extremely short on/off ramps and clusters of freeway interchanges at key locations, etc. causing large back-ups from unskilled drivers. Mostly though, people just simply don't know how to drive. They stop in the freeway for lack of the ability to simply merge either on or off the freeway. You can't always slow down, sometimes one has to actually push that little pedal on the right and just go ahead drive on up there to merge. Haven't you people ever seen a zipper work? Your pants may have one, take a second and study. On a side note: lay off the brakes people. Sheesh. The first step to deaccelleration is to simply let off of the gas pedal. Gravity will do it's thing and your vehicle will slow. Then you can use your feeble mind to determine if more slowing is needed. GENTLY apply the brakes slowing only as much as need to avoid collision, and then proceed. Slamming on the brakes in a 65 mph zone because a car a mile ahead tapped his brakes is uncalled for and completely unsafe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio