U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 02:39 AM

78 posts, read 74,562 times
it may take a couple times subbing, to get the hang of it..but it's hard to be perfect at this job, especially if you have high expectations for it; as long as you can take putting up with students' nonsense when need be(hopefully not too often), it can be a not too difficult job, but in this economy for what you get paid , it doesn't buy too much. though you'll also find it hard because it probably is important to get to know some teachers/administration who could be a reference for you in the future, yet at the same time you will actually be Unappreciated by many of these same people..so I agree with an earlier post, for subbing at MS and HS, or just in general for that matter, doing this work would be perhaps most desirable if planning on teaching full-time in the future..otherwise doing this job because of reasons like being strapped for cash gets pretty depressing right away if you think too much about it.

Old 10-25-2010, 09:01 PM

214 posts, read 1,134,824 times
I got a call to sub with special needs how is this ?

Old 10-25-2010, 09:07 PM

2,216 posts, read 2,658,451 times
I work with special needs kids. It's not an easy day. I love what I do. I will tell you good subs in this area are HARD to find and much needed.
elem/middle/high all have different goals at hand. Age group of kids you like to work with is something to keep in mind.
you will have a wide range...autism, downs syndrome, basic learning disadvantaged and so on. Best kids ever though in my book.

Old 10-25-2010, 09:35 PM

214 posts, read 1,134,824 times
Thanks so much. They are great I'm sure and I am excited to try working with them. Blessings to U.

Old 10-25-2010, 09:38 PM

Enjoy it!

Old 10-25-2010, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatotex97 View Post
I work with special needs kids. It's not an easy day. I love what I do. I will tell you good subs in this area are HARD to find and much needed.
elem/middle/high all have different goals at hand. Age group of kids you like to work with is something to keep in mind.
you will have a wide range...autism, downs syndrome, basic learning disadvantaged and so on. Best kids ever though in my book.
Can you or anyone else that would wish to do so, please explain who/what exactly a "good" sub is, and reasons why you think they are hard to find, and much needed for that matter?

Old 10-26-2010, 06:39 AM

a good sub.....

One who wont roll her eyes when asked to do something by another teacher in the room. Had that done and it is annoying.
One who does not fall asleep. Yep, seen that too.
One who wont ask nosy personal questions about the child. During sub training they do go over confidentiality and I see this alot from subs who think they have a right to know.
Be friendly. You can't catch what they have.
One who doesn't sit in her chair all day and expect to "teach" and "provide" from the chair all day long.
One who won't judge the kids or be critical because of what they don't know or can't do.
Don't try to come in the room and change what we do with a student.
Don't yell at them.
Don't bring a good book to read.

Do plan to come in and have fun.
Do plan to come in and have the kids win your hearts.
Do plan to come in and help with cleaning up students who may have runny noses, puke, or heaven knows what else.
Do plan to come in and follow the lead of the other teachers that are in the room. They know the kids best and know the routine.
Do plan to be flexible.
Do plan for some students not to accept you at first but will come around by the days end.

They are much needed because there seems to be a stigma for working in special education. People are afraid. I hear comments like "I can't work with those kids". If you are going to sub or teach you should be able to accept all kids.

Just my two cents from my experience.

Old 10-26-2010, 12:30 PM

thanks for posting your thoughts, I've worked my very first sub assignments in special ed and obtained one of my very very few referernce letters from the sped teacher for whom I covered...

But the problem then is not just the not having a "good" sub...it's already in earlier posts in this thread, about wondering why really the less than an undergrad degree is sufficient to work in many districts...which I believe is really creating a greater possibility of a higher number of bozo subs within the sub pool. less than an undergrad degree, that's good enough, really? Gee? Of course there might be a handful of subs with less than an undergrad degree that can be/are a good sub. But I think you'll likely find it difficult to find many quality "good" subs from selecting from this applicant pool for the most part. Asking someone to be serious about education when this same person hasn't accomplished relative much in education himself/herself in the first place? But then why is this situation even necessary?

Could it be that the bigger part of this problem is that there are not enough "good" schools, i.e., with respectable students, non-arrogant teachers, non-corrupt administration.?. it's the subs job to put a stop to classroom from getting off task for whatever reason, but from what I've seen in this aspect in too many classrooms, I'd be really scared perhaps to see what actually happens at some of these kids' weekend parties then(keep in mind I've worked what I believe to be the "worst" schools, but in another state)....could it be that the parents/teachers aren't doing a sufficient job with discipline in general these days?..Should these people be the ones to accept the most part of the blame? I would say yes, and yes although I have no children, I am in the age range that would be a common age for a parent of a teenager/child. And don't get me wrong, I'm sure that there are many parents doing a great job with their children.

ok, I can see you're more specifically referring to sped subs and demand in that area. Otherwise I believe there is a need for subs in general but not so many takers, so to answer these questions, a major reason is that many don't wish to be targets of undisciplined students, as stated by another member in this thread. Job doesn't pay enough to put up with the nonsense from students(being lied to, being talked backed to unnecessarily, being spoken to in an inappropriate tone of voice, being called "funny" nicknames, being joked about because of race/ethnicity..and so on) for nearly every/all class periods..Of course this doesn't apply to every school and especially students(in a classroom of 23 respectable students and 2 troublemakers, it 's the latter that sometimes unfortunately distorts the perspective of the sub that the majority of the students are actually doing a terrific job), but far too many unfortunately.

So if anyone wants to criticize subs for doing a carppy job and having an ungrateful attitute to the daily payrate, then I would personally criticize even more so the carppy job that parents/schools are doing with educating/disciplining children. Cheers!

Last edited by snaggletooth1977; 10-26-2010 at 01:53 PM.. Reason: clarification of content

Old 10-26-2010, 01:53 PM

Yes, I was only referring to special ed classes. My experience is with SPECIAL NEEDS so that is even different from a spec ed room. In a spec needs room if you sub ...if like you stated you have less than an undergrad degree, you are then considered a IA/Para sub. There will be other certified teachers in the room thus making it ok. IA's/Paras do not have to have a degree.

We have no control over how parents discipline their children. Putting up with it is part of teaching and/or subbing.

If one doesn't like the pay rate as a result than don't sub.

Am I missing the point of your questions?

Old 10-26-2010, 02:11 PM

So is there any incentive for a sub to be a "good" sub? Do you get offered some of the same benefits, i.e, health care, that the "regular" teachers receive? Or do you just go unrewarded and unappreciated for the most part...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio