U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 08:29 PM

214 posts, read 1,149,431 times

Advertisements

Any advice I start a subsitute teaching job with a school district do anyone have any advice they can give who have worked for the schools before. I am have never subed before give me what you do when you first enter the class theydidn't have much training but it would be nice for me to be well prepared before I enter the class room any suggestions on training ect.... I

Old 10-06-2010, 08:48 PM

2,431 posts, read 4,537,413 times
A good teacher will leave explicit plans with procedures, forms, etc. I would suggest not taking last minute jobs at first, as those are less likely to have plans made for you.

Once you accept a job, I would email the teacher to ask if there is anything that you need to know. Sometimes, I have even emailed the day's plans/schedule if the sub wants it!

Most districts have a general procediral info session. As few years ago, NISD also offered community education classes on (substitute) teaching the various content areas.

Old 10-06-2010, 09:13 PM

65 posts, read 72,418 times
i substituted for NISD 8 years ago for elementary schools. I would get calls to work every day of the month. Unfortunately, there were more days where the teacher didn't leave any plans, schedules, work...etc. and not much help from partner teachers. I learned to bring my own age/grade appropriate activities/work for such occasions.
The first thing I did when the children came in
was introduce myself, write it on the board then draw a huge smiley face. I would ask everyone's name and write it on the smiley, then tell them I hope they stay there all day. As the day went on, some names were erased for misbehavior...etc. The always had the chance to earn it back on.
A small reward could be given if they stayed on smiley.

Old 10-07-2010, 08:39 AM

Thanks I like the ideal of the smiley face what about middle schoolers? Any other advice for a new un-experienced sub. I will sub at a variety of grade levels.

Old 10-07-2010, 09:56 AM

478 posts, read 604,906 times
May I ask if you have teaching credentials? I was told you could sub in San Antonio without a teaching certificate if you had a college degree. I called and checked a few years ago and was told that due to a surplus of subs a teaching certificate was now required. I'm just curious if that has changed. (I was checking with the NEISD)

Old 10-07-2010, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAggiemom View Post
May I ask if you have teaching credentials? I was told you could sub in San Antonio without a teaching certificate if you had a college degree. I called and checked a few years ago and was told that due to a surplus of subs a teaching certificate was now required. I'm just curious if that has changed. (I was checking with the NEISD)
I do not believe it is required in NEISD...I think that only a degree (any subject) is required. However, they have already closed the applications for this year: North East Independent School District

Old 10-07-2010, 09:04 PM

478 posts, read 604,906 times
Thanks Pobre. Do you think all the districts on the northern section of San Antonio are closed?

Old 10-07-2010, 09:15 PM

I am not sure about Neisd but most of the districts require at least 60 hrs. It depends on the district.

Old 10-07-2010, 09:30 PM

14,625 posts, read 27,678,561 times
IMO--don't take the job unless you are going into an elementary classroom--if you have no teaching experience--
the world of teaching is not just babysitting--

you have to be able to multi-task, have to deal with time management, deal with complex social situations that you have no background information on, have to be able to enforce authority w/o force or any third party --
those kids don't know you from Adam--and in many, many schools from 6th grade up, a substitute is just a target at the front of the room...

it is one of the worst ways to earn $90 a day...
when I retired I could have subbed fairly regularly at my old school in my dept and like in history when the coaches were out in baseball season--but I just did not want the hassle of dealing with those kids who just view subs as someone to spar with...and I knew most of them anyway...so they knew me and my reputation--and knew I meant what I said--

a new sub is some schools is just a lamb to slaughter...IF you don't know what you are doing...
so good luck to anyone who is subbing...

Old 10-07-2010, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAggiemom View Post
Thanks Pobre. Do you think all the districts on the northern section of San Antonio are closed?
NEISD and NISD have been closing their applications each year falrly early, but I am not sure about JISD or CISD...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio